Another Turbo Build

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
Previously I was on a quest to have a 10 second Ported eaton car. I think to date Posi is the only one thats accomplished this with a convertable. I took my car to Famoso (Bakersfield, CA) in October trying to get into the 10's. Car ran the best that day of 11.22 @ 127m next pdass input shaft broke. Since then I finally figured it was time for a change :D. Before I discuss the changes I just want to give a thanks to Brian from Posi Performance for his help and his amazing port & Greg Monroe from Racers Edge Tuning who has handled my tuning and now up to this point will be building me a in house turbo kit from RET.

On the new setup we will be keeping the 03 cobra water to air intercooler system by using a Pro-Charger hat. The Turbo in name is a Precision GT47-88.
As far as the transmission goes almost 100% sure a built 4R70W is going in. Just want to throw it out there this is a street car not an all out Race car.

Here's pictures of whats been done so far. Turbo kit has been started and intake, elbow throttle body etc have been mocked up in the mean time. Also Torque Boxes were welded up, and bottom of car was painted black.

Enjoy the pictures guys :beer:

IMG951303.jpg

IMG959699.jpg

imagejpeg952_3.jpg

IMG955765.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

Old fuel system out.

imagejpeg_3_10.jpg

Torq Boxes Welded

imagejpeg_3_9.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0468.jpg

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
Mocking up the Turbo at first

IMAG0483.jpg

IMG952828.gif

This would be nice if it wasn't a mass air car, but the bov next to the maf would be a issue.
IMAG0481.jpg

Red Bull gives you wings.
IMAG0480.jpg

Welding up a Support/Mounting bracket for the Turbo

IMG954832.jpg

IMG955798.jpg

IMAG0485.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

The Turbo finally mounted in and the Hot side almost done

imagejpeg_3_22.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

IMG951941.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ironhand

Banned
That procharger hat turns the car into a pig. Just FYI.

Reshape that hat to reduce plenum size and weld the T/B on the front of it. Your piping will be only a few inches.

ttype69

Established Member
deff like the procharger hat (did hear it kinda sucks) but super cost effective.. have a few qustions
what headers did u mod. look like frpp
and have you tackeled the altinator set up yet using a stock lower set up .
deffenitly like the build ideas i was planning on using allot of the same ideas but twins

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
That procharger hat turns the car into a pig. Just FYI.

Reshape that hat to reduce plenum size and weld the T/B on the front of it. Your piping will be only a few inches.

Well the only street this car will see is to the track and back. This isn't my DD, and the problem of only running a few inches on the Cold side is this the blow off valve would be too close to the Maf... Car should wake up though once it hits boost :beer:

deff like the procharger hat (did hear it kinda sucks) but super cost effective.. have a few qustions
what headers did u mod. look like frpp
and have you tackeled the altinator set up yet using a stock lower set up .
deffenitly like the build ideas i was planning on using allot of the same ideas but twins

Yup, super cost effective. I used FRPP headers and flipped them backwards. As for the Alt setup up using a stock lower/cage straight to the Alt and back.

More updates :

How we ended up running the Cold Side
imagejpeg_3_25.jpg

Where we plan on mounting the blow off Valve
IMG_1870.jpg

Running Twin Waste Gates This gives you an idea where they will be mounted :D
Gatelocation.jpg

Modifying the Water neck ..
IMAG0511.jpg

Silicone coupler, and maf flange welded on. Waiting on the vband for the turbo to show up and send pipe to coaters.

IMAG0513.jpg

Everything clears the stock hood.
IMAG0512.jpg

Should match the intake Nicely :D
IMAG0428.jpg

ttype69

Established Member
sweet deal
for the alt you didnt have to make any pulles or brackets for tensioning the belt ???
ither way if you got a part num for the belt u used throw it my way.
how was the ports on your frpp's mine suck looks like they were made in japan or something they need grinded and welded on the out side but i dont have a steel block to bolt them to so thay don't worp and do u think you could make mine the same as yours looks like what you did cleared the a/c and altinator very well its funny how all these big name turbo kit manufactures couldn't figure such a simple thing out .ither way i love the build.
im going to be runing the frpps, acufabe throttle body and elbow and procharger upper like you i was planning on makeing a block of for were the intercooler pipeing goes and runnig a fmic and just not putting the intercooler under the hat. ither way ill deff fallow your build

Last edited:

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
sweet deal
for the alt you didnt have to make any pulles or brackets for tensioning the belt ???
ither way if you got a part num for the belt u used throw it my way.
how was the ports on your frpp's mine suck looks like they were made in japan or something they need grinded and welded on the out side but i dont have a steel block to bolt them to so thay don't worp and do u think you could make mine the same as yours looks like what you did cleared the a/c and altinator very well its funny how all these big name turbo kit manufactures couldn't figure such a simple thing out .ither way i love the build.
im going to be runing the frpps, acufabe throttle body and elbow and procharger upper like you i was planning on makeing a block of for were the intercooler pipeing goes and runnig a fmic and just not putting the intercooler under the hat. ither way ill deff fallow your build

From what we've seen so far it does look like we're going to fab something up to put tenion on the belt. Thanks man :beer:

Some more updates:

5" downpipe!
IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

Check out the inlet :D
IMAG0521.jpg

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
I saw your car yesterday and this setup is amazing. Greg was trying to talk me into going with a similar setup since my car took a dump on him yesterday while he was tuning it.

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Looks great.
I like the 4R70 option. Just put one in my car and it made a night and day difference in how the car spools and drives!
I love it.

Good luck on your project.

Ryan

ttype69

Established Member
yea make two ill need one. did u like the comment on the turbo companies not being able to clear a/c and alt. them idiots do u have your own shop??? or doing this for fun im from ohio and ill soon be doing sum what the same work to my car..hate to pluck your brain but where are u getting your supplies from and what gauge piping did you use for your hot side.. and i was allso wondering why u didn't just go draw threw with the maf before the turbo i under stand the blow threw slot style is better but it might have been easier to go draw threw in your set up ???

and slightly back on the topic of the procharger hat im planning on useing mine without the intercooler and makeing a plate for the intake.. im wondering on if the intake is a dog because of the True "restrictiveness" of the intercooler or if its just the plenum size.. well whatever also if you get that bad boy done before i get started and your intake air temps are as low as a fmic anyways ill just do what you did to save in piping cost and time... i mean if those intercoolers support those big kb and whipples i should work fine for the turbos i suppose... i might be all over the place with this paragraph but ive seen other air to water intercoolers ie the vortec set up were the intercooler will only flow enuf cfm to support about 600 makes me wonder if the intake inter cooler on a 03-04 cobra suffers from the same issues ... like as in theres a true max cfm for the inter cooler on a 03-04 and people are just forceing it ways past its limitations..

idk just a thought

Last edited:

lloyd393

Squid missile
Established Member
Now RET just needs to Make it their own single turbo kit, and I will buy it and use a smaller turbo:) That's exactly how I think a turbo kit for our Cobra's should work. DAMN, they should start making that a kit!!!! Looks great, with a well thought out design and fab work. I want one!!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread