Another sad day in the history of our Cobras...

Z20WHAT

Established Member
UPDATED: Another sad day in the history of our Cobras...

Well, mainly mine. But I'm sure my fellow SVT owners will crinch.

The worse fear next to totalling one's precious vehicle.

As some of you may know, I've had a couple mishaps with my car. The first one was talked about some bit with an accompanying video of my minor crash at an autocross event. I had some minor damage to my rear bumper only.

Well, the same week I was getting a little daring on some side roads and veered off onto the side of the road and hit a sign which took out my front bumper, a piece of my hood and some scratches on my fender. From both incidents, there was mainly only body damage for the most part with a couple minor mechanical issue, such as new exhaust and she needed a new hose for the intercooler because it was crimped. Very small details.

Well I got the car back Friday night - FINALLY, after waiting 6 weeks from the body shop (their original estimate was 7 - 10 days...). Drove it 2 miles straight home. Well today, on my way to our local car club meeting, about 5 miles into the drive I start to hear some rattling/shaking. I also noticed that my car had some minor trouble accelerating (would chug randomly) and eventually I noticed a very slight smell that got worse and worse. All of it got worse. The car pretty much stopped accelerating, the rattling got intense (I first though it was the Steeda shifter, which is known for some slight noise issues), and the smell was something aweful. As I slowed down at the first light, the car started to die - and it did.

I didn't even get 15 miles on the car from delivery from the body shop and the end result is: they forgot to put the coolant back in. =/

Not a drop.

Cruising for about 10 miles at almost 70mph.

The motor is seized and I'm going in Monday to have a talk. I will NOT settle for anything less than a whole new motor for the car. Complete with a new Eaton and everything. Wish me luck and I would GREATLY appreciate any advice. I am going to go take pictures now because I had it towed to the shop.

My poor baby has been through too much...

Last edited:

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
WTF, forgot the coolant? I hope they got insurance &/or stand by their workmanship.
Good luck Z!
:(

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Did you look at the temp gauge at all? Not that any of this is your fault, but I was just wondering if it worked.

I've always thought that all gauges should have a red warning light in the gauge, so that when it went critical, the light would illuminate and draw your attention to the gauge in question.

Seriously, don't settle for anything less than a new engine. I'm sure body shops have insurance to cover such oversights.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yikes. That is horrible news. Be sure to take pictures and a lot of notes. Be prepared to get a lawyer if they hassle you. Hopefully it won't get to that, but they're going to have one big bill they're going to have to eat. :eek:

Tin Knocker

Established Member
I can't believe they didn't put coolant back in. At the very least a new motor. Good luck.

stevieb

Established Member
If they say "Dont worry, we'll pay for a new engine" Make sure he understands that the motor is $12k, not an off the shelf crate motor. Good luck, Im staying tuned for this one.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
That sucks.I would get a lawyer before you ever talk to them I serously doubt they will admit its thier fault very easily if at all.....you might want to contact sohowcome he went through a similar situation with his car(not a Cobra) they forgot to put oil in his car. He can probalby give you some pointers on how to start at the very least......

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Your Cobra didnt come in with no coolant in it did it? Because if it did, then this could get interesting. I mean, they do body work there not engine work right? Why did they drain the coolant from the engine, and not just the intercoolant system?

kaos

Established Member
Sorry to hear that sucks. I just hope this doesn't drag out for too long for you.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by cydewaze
Did you look at the temp gauge at all? Not that any of this is your fault, but I was just wondering if it worked.

I've always thought that all gauges should have a red warning light in the gauge, so that when it went critical, the light would illuminate and draw your attention to the gauge in question.

Seriously, don't settle for anything less than a new engine. I'm sure body shops have insurance to cover such oversights.

Exactly on both accounts.

First thing I'm thinking is that they'll deny it or try to dodge responsibility, but they were intent on reassuring me of their dedication and established reputation, and their good customer relationships.

And I was thinking the same thing about the guages, because the temp should have shot up, but remember, it was only 1 semi-short trip I was taking and I was paying more attention to the rattling and driving than anything. I know for a fact that I was staring at the face guages for a while at some point, but not really the temp in particular. They really need to add a warning light and/or sound to those things.

Everyone and anyone else, thanks for your support.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I, also, was wondering why they drained the coolant. New radiator? I watched your video and cringed when you hit the wall.

We could use some real gauges instead of the "idiot" gauges we have. I'm sure most Cobra owners could understand that oil pressure drops at stoplights. Good luck with your engine problems.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by The Orphaner
Your Cobra didnt come in with no coolant in it did it? Because if it did, then this could get interesting. I mean, they do body work there not engine work right? Why did they drain the coolant from the engine, and not just the intercoolant system?

The body shop has two full-time mechanics. It's not some rinky dinky shop, especially since I would NEVER take my Cobra to some Joe Schmoe. This was a very reputable and professional shop that works on building muscle and classic cars from frame, to motor, to custom bodies.

They had to drain the coolant to replace the intercooler hose. At least it's safe to assume so. Either that or it leaked out due to their work. I know that there were NO signs of leaking coolant after I got the car back. No smell, no burning off, no dripping, nothing. And of course the car went in with coolant. Bottom line was, there was not a drop in the container and the horrid smell is just a lugubrious reassurance...

Anyone that has had a motor go on them would know what smell I'm talking about... :xpl:

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
Sorry to hear that sucks. I just hope this doesn't drag out for too long for you.

I'm worried about this one as well. I was already without my car for over a month. When I go in, I will be demanding a rental car along with my new motor. That way, they'll be hard pressed to get it fixed in a timely manner :)

Z20WHAT

Established Member
I'm not exactly sure, but I think the intercooler runs off the same coolant in the rest of the cooling system, does it not?

Either way, they had to replace most of the front end, including the radiator brace and also to repair the core-support frame that was bent, so I'm sure they had to remove quite a lot up there.

davidmax

Established Member
I have seen this incompitant work to the TEE no coolant even on new crate motors.I own a shop and any one can make a STUPID mistake it probably is a fluke.
Dont go in with guns blazings and a team of lawyers.Simply tell him what occured and how he will resolve this mishap his co. caused.Dont fight or argue its cheaper and the right thing to do give him a chance so give him a chance.
If he says no see a legal pro and let them handle them.Also make sure weather its him or the legal pro,that time is of the essence to you and 8 weeks wont do.Maybe he can pay all the bills and and you can both arrive at a dealer to purchase the motor and an installer to install it so you know a shop with mechanical prowess will do it right from begining to end.
GOOD LUCK,David Smilovic

cobravert03

Why? Because it's funny.
You should sue for additional damages such as "pain and suffering" and "emotional distress"...

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by cobravert03
You should sue for additional damages such as "pain and suffering" and "emotional distress"...

Well, I thought about it, but I'm not really some anal-retentive stickler out to get much. I just want what needs to be fixed, fixed CORRECTLY, and fully. No mistakes. No chances.

stevieb

Established Member
No, the intercooler has its own reservoir. Maybe the tech thought it was the same as the cooling system and drained the radiator in error. Did you have the car towed in from the accident? If so maybe the coolant was lost out on the road and no one figured to look at the coolant level. Even if this were the case they were negligent in the repair.

Users who are viewing this thread