another quick question on NXT generation 2.0 wax

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Is the NXT 2.0 not that great for black cars? Who has used it on their black cars? My cobra is 2 toned Black/ Red so i want a selant/wax that will look good on both.

It does leave a nice finish but I've never gotten it to 'not streak'. It's durability isn't great either. For me synthetics should be long lasting and easy to apply and I find neither is true with NXT. I tried Mother's Synwax and was very impressed. Easiest LSP I've ever had to remove.

If you want a balls out ridiculous finish for black/red, try Pinnacle Souveran. You may not agree with its price but few waxes are better.

On a budget, I've always liked Meguiar's #26 or Mother's Pure (both carnaubas). Probably the best value for money.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Is the NXT 2.0 not that great for black cars? Who has used it on their black cars? My cobra is 2 toned Black/ Red so i want a selant/wax that will look good on both.

Duragloss 105
Opti-Seal
Zaino Z2 & Z5

All three are long lasting and easy to use

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ It will look fine on both.

For simplicity, just get the paste or Mother's Synwax. If you can find it, the Mother's Reflections line is THE best OTC product line out there. But nobody tends to stock it...

STG

Banned

It's 99% prep. Get rid of the swirls and you black and red car will look great with any wax (sealant).

You are correcting and waxing clear coat.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
It's 99% prep. Get rid of the swirls and you black and red car will look great with any wax (sealant).

You are correcting and waxing clear coat.

I do agree that prep is the absolute key. Put a perfectly prepped and polished car with no wax next to a similarly prepped car with wax and you'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

However, I must continue to insist that NXT could leave you frustrated after all your hard work as you remove it and it streaks, leaving what seems like 'dark spots'. It does do this even when applied lightly. As I've said, there are certainly better OTC alternatives out there.

Besides, the darkening that NXT does will last one wash and that's it.

STG

Banned
I do agree that prep is the absolute key. Put a perfectly prepped and polished car with no wax next to a similarly prepped car with wax and you'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

However, I must continue to insist that NXT could leave you frustrated after all your hard work as you remove it and it streaks, leaving what seems like 'dark spots'. It does do this even when applied lightly. As I've said, there are certainly better OTC alternatives out there.

Besides, the darkening that NXT does will last one wash and that's it.

Your experience is different than mine. I've been using Nxt and M21 versions 1.0 since they both came out both in southern California and Wyoming year 'round and have never experienced these problems.

I also have not experienced it lasting one wash. It lasted all winter on my F250. If you feel better about other products, great.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Your experience is different than mine. I've been using Nxt and M21 versions 1.0 since they both came out both in southern California and Wyoming year 'round and have never experienced these problems.

I also have not experienced it lasting one wash. It lasted all winter on my F250. If you feel better about other products, great.

M21 is different than NXT. You're right NXT will last a little while, but that glow and darkness it adds to dark paint will not which is what I was referring to.

Fancy packaging is what fools most people into thinking it is a good product - it is average to above average.

SVT543of2003

Established Member
what the hell OTC place sells porter cables, backer plates and pads, Klasse or anything thats PC friendly for that matter? Id love for a place here to sell this stuff so i can just take a 5min drive and pick it up whenever i get the need/want to detail. Usually i go into the garage, get all amped up to detail something, look in my tote, see all my pads are shit, im out of xxx product, i need more microfibers, etc, get dissapointed and go inside and order the stuff, then when it gets here im not in the mood for it lol.

If you get a PC (porter-cable) you are stepping into a whole new realm of automotive detailing. Throw everything you ever bought from Autozone or OTC away, its all crap (save for microfibers, kragens has cheap packs of 24 that are great for basic detialing though i still keep nicer/fluffier ones for fine detailing). The best place to look is autopia.org or autogeek.net forums on how to use a porter-cable. You will spend $300-400 on a porter-cable kit and everything else to get the job done, but the end result blows anything hand applied (even precious Zaino) away ten fold.

I just spent $200 on more pads, more product (Optimum Polish II and Compound II, a bottle of Opti-Seal), some claybar kits, BlackWow for trims, and some other odds and ends. I really need to invest in a Rotary next, so i can do these 8 hour details in 3-4 without killing myself and get even better results.

as for your issue, it sounds like you are using way too much product. I did the same when i used NXT 2.0, used to coat it on thick and wonder why i had to really use pressure to remove it. Then i did a search on why, learned about real detailing products and techniques, and never looked back.

I use a place called eshine.ca and he ships in a couple days. I got my PC from him and get my pads there too, I get my Meguirs off the shelf or at car shows to save a few dollars.

STG

Banned
M21 is different than NXT. You're right NXT will last a little while, but that glow and darkness it adds to dark paint will not which is what I was referring to.

Fancy packaging is what fools most people into thinking it is a good product - it is average to above average.

You have your opinion, I have my experience. I'm quite familiar with the differences between M21 and Nxt.

What crap do you like to spend way too much on so you can feel better about yourself?

Taunto

Established Member
okay.. wow.. it was a quick question didnt expect to get a 2 page replys lol. anyway i still have the box,tailgate and rear bumber to work on tomrrow after work. i did a lighter coat today on the doors and it looked like it helped. ill keep tryin that on the box see how it goes. thanxs for all the help guys

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
You have your opinion, I have my experience. I'm quite familiar with the differences between M21 and Nxt.

What crap do you like to spend way too much on so you can feel better about yourself?

I don't buy any boutique products, I've just found NXT to have better packaging than results. The only Meguiar's products worth their salt are contained in the Mirror Glaze line. Everything else is made for Joe Detailer who fancies nice packaging first, results second.

At half the price, Mother's FX Synwax is a much better alternative.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member

From what I have read, the differences in M21 and NXT are minimal, what exactly are those differences?

stang8762

Established Member
Thanx guys for the replies..Its tough tryng to figure out whats good for both my 2 tone colors black/red . My buddy owns a body/restoration shop and were going to try some things since he has a ton of different polishes/glazes and waxes. We also just painted the car last year but it never stayed outside until now so i want to throw some wax on it to protect. The black part will be the toughest to get rid of some spiderwebbing and swirl marks. We are going to try some 3m products since thats whats laying around the shop.

3M Perfect-It 3000 Machine Polish Swirl Mark Remover
3m imperial hand glaze
3m wax or some 3m performance finish

see any probs w/ this and is 3m good or is just the name tat people go for?

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Thanx guys for the replies..Its tough tryng to figure out whats good for both my 2 tone colors black/red . My buddy owns a body/restoration shop and were going to try some things since he has a ton of different polishes/glazes and waxes. We also just painted the car last year but it never stayed outside until now so i want to throw some wax on it to protect. The black part will be the toughest to get rid of some spiderwebbing and swirl marks. We are going to try some 3m products since thats whats laying around the shop.

3M Perfect-It 3000 Machine Polish Swirl Mark Remover
3m imperial hand glaze
3m wax or some 3m performance finish

see any probs w/ this and is 3m good or is just the name tat people go for?

Personally I love 3M's line of body shop products. No fancy packaging, no fancy smells, just stuff that works really well.

You may find that you can skip the imperial hand glaze. Besides containing some fillers, I think you'll be able to polish down and finish nicely with the PI-3000.

3M's Show Car Paste Wax is good and so is the aforementioned FX Synwax. I don't have anything to gain by plugging 3M this much, it's just that they make very good surface care products which are used by body shops all over the world.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I am a distribution manager for an autobody supply company. I can tell you bodyshops can get any product they want from Mothers, Meguiars etc... we carry them all. Every major dealership and body shop we supply uses the 3M Perfect it line religiously. I have had 4 boxes of NXT 2.0 for about a year now sitting on the shelf. The first one in a year was ordered 2 weeks ago. :shrug: That has to mean something.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Bahahaha!!! I've been tired of some of his stuff for a while now.

M21 vs. NXT 2.0...basically *very* similar overall. M21 has less fillers, slightly better durability and a "brighter" crisper look compared to NXT. Think of NXT as having a glazing-type capability to it and there's your difference.

MrSwa

Established Member
I have noticed the same spots at times when using 2.0. I have found it to be mostly applying to too large of an area and letting it get too dry. Apply another light coat on top (small areas) and wipe off basically immediately. This got rid of the spots for me. Not sure if this is "correct" but it seems to work.

silverstang23

Established Member
I don't mean to hijack the thread but have a question from reading it. I have been looking for a new sealant to put over my 3M machine glaze. I have a bottle of NXT. Would this seal glaze or would it take it off?

Users who are viewing this thread