Another question for you turbo guys..

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
I'm assembling my knowledge base on this stuff so bear with me. What fuel pumps do you guys use? If I were to retain the factory returnless fuel system, what size pumps and accessories would you recommend for safe running? GT pumps? BAP? I even read an article where a guy used Aviator pumps with a Hellion kit. If I were to stick with the lower end of the power spectrum, say 700-800hp, how much is necessary?

mustarrosa

Established Member
Go return and use Weldon and the pulse modulator and it will perform fine . The 2025 would work for your goals

TRBO VNM

also consider cost. I don't know the cost of the return style.

there is no problem at all using returnless if it is setup right. it will support a lot of power. and most people already have some of the mods that I listed.

aviavtors $360, good be less.

modified FPDM, if you have another daily driver, modifying yours is $100

-8an line upgrade I put mine together for $300, or buy a kit from Modular Depot for $500

BAP #250

Injectors $450

most already have the Injectors and BAP.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
A lotta guys can support 800+ with that stuff TRBO VNM is talking about. So unless your planning on taking down the "big boys" i wouldnt go return style IMO

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Well that's nice to know. I'd like to avoid the cost of a return setup if at all possible because I'm not out to take down the "big boys". What ever I end up limited to because of the fuel system, well, then that's what I'm limited to. That's not to say it would never happen, but for now, I'm out to see what can be done with the least amount of change.
Is a fuel line upgrade necessary? I know it's "preferable" and maybe even "advisable", but could I get safely away without it?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
I wouldnt try it, it might be possible.....but then again Man your talkinga bout a 22-26k car plus another 6-8k in turbo mods.....Why would you even take a chance when your dealing with a $500 worth of lines that will insure you will have constant fuel. One hang up with a fuel line means you start all over with no money!

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Smokey1226 said:
I wouldnt try it, it might be possible.....but then again Man your talkinga bout a 22-26k car plus another 6-8k in turbo mods.....Why would you even take a chance when your dealing with a $500 worth of lines that will insure you will have constant fuel. One hang up with a fuel line means you start all over with no money!

Duly noted.:coolman:

mustarrosa

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
also consider cost. I don't know the cost of the return style.

there is no problem at all using returnless if it is setup right. it will support a lot of power. and most people already have some of the mods that I listed.

aviavtors $360, good be less.

modified FPDM, if you have another daily driver, modifying yours is $100

-8an line upgrade I put mine together for $300, or buy a kit from Modular Depot for $500

BAP #250

Injectors $450

most already have the Injectors and BAP.
So add it up and say $1600 for the returnless..and you are almost there for a return style and no worries about getting enough fuel for any HP goal and can be reassurred with the pedal down and not crater your engine..go return

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
mustarrosa said:
So add it up and say $1600 for the returnless..and you are almost there for a return style and no worries about getting enough fuel for any HP goal and can be reassurred with the pedal down and not crater your engine..go return

I appreciate your input as I do all here who have replied. We'll see what happens IF I actually decide to go this route. But going full return is not totally out of the question.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
i hear ya, im with you redwood....there are a lot of things i would "LIKE" todo but we'll see what kinda funds i have at the time.

TRBO VNM

mustarrosa said:

that is if you start from scratch. like I said, most already have half the mods.

redwoods, the line upgrade should be done to help support the higher hp. It is cheap insurance and also lowers your fuel pump duty cycle and it also helps reduce or elminate any fuel pressure spikes. made a big difference in my setup.

the only thing I would change is go with GT pumps instead of aviators. cheaper as well. GT pumps will be in my next car.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
that is if you start from scratch. like I said, most already have half the mods.

redwoods, the line upgrade should be done to help support the higher hp. It is cheap insurance and also lowers your fuel pump duty cycle and it also helps reduce or elminate any fuel pressure spikes. made a big difference in my setup.

the only thing I would change is go with GT pumps instead of aviators. cheaper as well. GT pumps will be in my next car.

My original plan was to use the BAP but with bigger pumps so for the same amount of fuel required, the BAP would not have to push the pumps so much.
But let me throw this curve in: how are the fuel rails? I'll happily assume they will be fine? I'm a credit card approval(zero interest promo) away from diving ass first into all this.

TRBO VNM

Randee of the Redwoods said:
My original plan was to use the BAP but with bigger pumps so for the same amount of fuel required, the BAP would not have to push the pumps so much.
But let me throw this curve in: how are the fuel rails? I'll happily assume they will be fine? I'm a credit card approval(zero interest promo) away from diving ass first into all this.

stock rails here. they are good for decent hp. I will run them till I need more. should be good for 850-900. I have put 800 through them. That being said, I would recommend to everyone 800 is cutting it close.

also, try not to go in debt for this. trust me. try to save what you can because it sucks to owe on this stuff.

Last edited:

pwrhungry

Established Member
I had:

60# injectors
KB boost-a-pump turned all the way up
stock pumps
the Modular Depot fuel rails and line upgrade kit

That right there maxes out at about 700rwhp. I think Hermann said the pump duty cycle was some in the mid 90s percentile.

mustarrosa

Established Member
Randee of the Redwoods said:
Dive into return style and set it and forget it

Users who are viewing this thread