Another Project I've been working on

Homebrew

Established Member
Here's pics of my carputer project I've been trying to get completed before Saturday's meet. It's now in though there are some issues left to sort out, but that will have to wait till after saturday. Still need to wire up the gps before then. The system completely replaces the factory head unit and consists of a via epia MII mini-itx motherboard with 512 megs or ram, an 80 gig notebook harddrive and it's all controlled through a 7" touchscreen monitor. I'm still waiting on a specific USB radio board to release so I can get radio channels. I also need to find a location for the slimline dvd-rw drive. I wasn't able to fit it in the dash, so my original idea was to put it in the console compartment, but it's not fitting in there either without some modification. So right now for that my options are to modify the console compart so it fits, mount the drive in the glovebox, or *gasp* under a seat.

The computer provides access to my entire 20+ gig music collection, stored movies, gps, radio(to come), cell phone control(not for me though, stupid nextel), and much more. It runs windows xp, so anything you can do on a normal computer, you can do on this.

Things haven't gone as smoothly as planned, paint didn't match correctly, chipped a spot out of the paint, damaged the bezel around the a/c controls(nice story), have a nasty pop on turn on(not uncommon, need to delay the amps turning on), and some powerup issues. I am hopefull that these will be sorted out and the system will be all I dreamed it would though. Without further delay, here are some pics, since we all know this thread is worthless without pics.

-Kevin

touchscreen1.jpg

touchscreen2.jpg

Main Menu
Main_menu.jpg

GPS
Nav.jpg

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

dude, that is going to be simply amazing man. nice job and can't wait to see it. I would love to do something like that, but doubt I would use it all to its potential. man, that is going to be awesome. :beer:

Homebrew

Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys. It's been a long time coming. It was originally intended for my 2000 Mountaineer (RIP). I fiberglassed the monitor onto a piece of the console and was 2 days away from installing it in the truck when the truck met its demise. That was over a year ago. So this is a project I started over a year and half ago. Many of the parts such as the motherboard and monitor have been sitting around waiting as a result. Down the road i'm gonna use it to tie into the ECU as well as full time dataloging. Thats a ways down the road yet though. Trying to get it ready for saturday has been a task in itself with all this rain since I don't have access to a garage. It's not perfect, but its at a point where I can run it. Saturday will likely be the maiden voyage with the carputer in place, so it should make for an intersting trip. We'll see.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
RedneckBMXer24 said:
man, thats awesome.

if i may ask, about what did it set you back?

cory

At this point I have somewhere around $1300 in it I'd say. A good bit of cash, but the parts were assembled over about a year and a half I'd say. I realize I could have gotten and alpine/kenwood/pioneer/etc touchscreen HU near that, but it wouldn't have near the functionality or cool factor. Besides, can you get broadband on a an HU? :nono: Broadband coming soon to a cobra near me.

I was keeping a spreadsheet on the costs on it at one point, but it got lost somewhere along the way. I'm gonna try to recreate the spreadsheet at some point. I should have most of the reciepts in my email since most was purchased online. Be interesting to see the exact amount. I did the spreadsheet on my jukebox and arcade projects and on both, the little things will surpise you by how much that add up.

-Kevin

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Suuuweeeet!! Now bury that Nextel and get a bluetooth enabled phone! I hacked mine a while back and can now use it as a Bluetooth/EVDO modem for my laptop for FREE!! In case no one is familiar with EVDO, it allows for high speed (500/100) data pretty much anywhere there is VZ wireless service.

Awesome looking setup man, now put together a how-to and share with your MACA peeps!! :beer:

Homebrew

Established Member
Rick James said:
Suuuweeeet!! Now bury that Nextel and get a bluetooth enabled phone! I hacked mine a while back and can now use it as a Bluetooth/EVDO modem for my laptop for FREE!! In case no one is familiar with EVDO, it allows for high speed (500/100) data pretty much anywhere there is VZ wireless service.

Awesome looking setup man, now put together a how-to and share with your MACA peeps!! :beer:

Thanks for the compliment. I'm seriously considering switching to a sprint pda phone and getting their evdo and using the phone as a modem, thats how I was planning to get broadband in the car. I just don't know if I can give up the direct connect from nextel. I know SOOO many people with nextels.

Not sure about a how-to since alot of it was custom fabricated. I'll definetlly help anyone else that is interested in doing the same though. Wiring into the factory amps is the hard part. I think I actually need to change the inline crossovers on the factory woofers as they just don't sound right. I think I'm allowing high frequences through that I shouldn't. To the best of my knowledge this is the first terminator with a carputer, but certainly not the first in this body style mustang. In specific a mach 1 paved the way for me.

Homebrew

Established Member
Cobra330 said:
Nice...I wanted something like that in my car....

Thanks for the compliment. If you ever decide to do one, let me know and I'll be happy to help and provide any info I can.

On a side note, man i'm a non-typing fool tonight. I've had to edit the last like 3 posts.

-Kevin

Last edited:

Homebrew

Established Member
Cookieman00x said:
That looks perfect....Very nice job.

Thanks, the compliments mean alot to me. I did all the fabrication myself, including molding the monitor into the factory radio bezel. Each new project gives me a little more confidence in my skills and I also end up earning a new skill. Until I started this project a year and a half ago, I had never worked with fiberglass or bondo, but I'm very happy with what I was able to accomplish. I'm especially proud of the fiberglass enclosure I had originally made for the screen to go in my mountaineer. Though it was never finished, I felt very good about how it came out for being my first time with fiberglass.

-Kevin

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
That is quite possibly the single-most unique and sweet-ass thing I've seen in a long time with these cars... I am definitely going to be drooling over this on Saturday... Great job, Kevin. Looks incredible!!! :rockon: :thumbsup:

Being a career computer-nerd myself, I have too many questions to type, so I'll just save it until Saturday...

Homebrew

Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
That is quite possibly the single-most unique and sweet-ass thing I've seen in a long time with these cars... I am definitely going to be drooling over this on Saturday... Great job, Kevin. Looks incredible!!! :rockon: :thumbsup:

Being a career computer-nerd myself, I have too many questions to type, so I'll just save it until Saturday...

Thanks man, again the compliments mean alot. I'm not a career computer-nerd yet, I'm trying to break into the field, but it's been a while since I graduated so that makes it harder. I'm mainly just a big time computer enthusiast. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions. Looking forward to Saturday.

-Kevin

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
Hey Kevin, I talked to you about this in December... really impressed with how it turned out. I'm gonna get started on mine asap. I won't be there saturday, but will PM you some initial starting out questions!
Can't wait!

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Looks sweet and will have many thing to offer, but seems like a hasel and 1300 is quite alot.

I would gte one if i had the extra money though

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
One question, Kevin, which would make me particularly interested... Could you somehow hook-up a connection between that computer and say, a video camera?

Users who are viewing this thread