Another one back on the road

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I just finished and delivered this 03 convert today. I did A LOT of work to this one. It was a 163K mile car with a blown engine.

It had been parked at the back of the owner's driveway, sitting out in the sun, for a least 6 months before I was made aware of it. I tried to buy it, but owner decide he wanted to get it fixed.....so I "fixed" it.

Near new 24K motor with Stiegemeier blower, near new T56, all-new hoses, belts, new radiator,etc.etc, Turned out nice, runs strong.

00zq.jpg

y09e.jpg

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Nice job! Glad to see it didn't rot away.

What is the difference in 01 Cobra headlights? And either way, as any appearance mod, its all subjective.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I do not own it, I just did all the work for the owner. He bought it with 163K from the original owner, knowing that it had a rod knock. He bought that 24K mile engine and then a like-new T56, but when he found out how much it cost to get a pro shop to do the swap, he tried to get the original engine "fixed" but it squeezed before he could get anyone to check it out. So it got towed to his driveway where it sat until I found out about it.

So he had the new engine, and the new trans, but I still managed to spend about $1400 on parts. It is put together right; new mounts, hoses, belts, new surge tank, new flywheel, clutch, removed blower and cleaned & detailed engine, pulled of a Canton oil pan and put on new stock oil pan and gasket, new thermostat housings and stat, new adjustable clutch cable and firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant (all BBK) all-new flywheel and clutch bolts, new tensioners and idlers, and more, even fixed some other items in the car to make it a nice solid car to match that new engine and trans.

Oh, and I removed 163K miles of dirt and grease from the engine compartment, front suspension and the underside of the car!

Last edited:

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
If you figure that a 24K mile motor is worth at least $5,000., and the T56 about $1500, the owner just put about $8,000 in parts into this car.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Nice job walt, looks good. Surprised the sun didnt beat the paint more or did it mess up the paint in places not seen in the pics?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Nice job walt, looks good. Surprised the sun didnt beat the paint more or did it mess up the paint in places not seen in the pics?

No, first owner parked under carport at work and kept it in garage at home. So it only really sat outside for the 6 months that current owner parked it when the engine failed. Paint looks amazingly good, hood had a few chips, but in the pic I posted it had not even been washed in 2 months.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
No, first owner parked under carport at work and kept it in garage at home. So it only really sat outside for the 6 months that current owner parked it when the engine failed. Paint looks amazingly good, hood had a few chips, but in the pic I posted it had not even been washed in 2 months.

:beer: nice job once again man :rockon:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Nice job !!! Car looks great ! I agree with the others about getting the GT headlights off there. ..... My car flipped 100k, I spent all last winter tearing it down for maintaince. Anything that needed replaced or "spun" is new. I think this is a good idea for the 89-90k+ guys. These cars are very time consuming to work on, to anyone else I suggest doing a compression, leak down, and oil psi ... at the very least before you start. I replaced every accessory, pulley, gasket, o-ring, belts, thermo, rebuilt trans, clutch, and a hundred other little things. Christ, I think I had 3-4k in parts and I did all the work myself. End result: flawless 100k mile car that people think has 20k miles. I did cheat and put a 15k mile interior in it, and had it "refinished" to orginal color (being a 1 owner woman, Miami car). I'd have no idea what to ask for it ? Looks like a 20-22k dollar cobra, but the damn odometer reads too high for my liking. I want to get rid of it (for a GT500), but have no clue what to ask for it ? The car is seriously a 9 out of 10 inside and out. Needs absoutely nothing.

Question ... And I apologize to derail thread, What do you guys think these near perfect, near mint, "higher mile" cobras are worth ? I'd guess I'd start about 16.5 for my car ? Is that out of line ? I'm 36, owned 17 mustangs, and as particular as they come ... And I'll admit, mine is friggin nice, nicer then all my buddies 20-40k mile ones, squeaky clean car fax and a huge binder of documentation from day 1, I've installed about every bolt-on, sits on some 18" FR's like OP's.

OP, sorry to derail thread, your car looks great ! ... Just figured the title might attract people who might have a better clue to what my car is worth then I do.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I told the owner of this 2003 Redfire Convert to ask $16,000. Yes it has 163K on the odo, but the engine is 24K with a ported blower and the T56 is very low miles, looks new on the inside. Anyone who looks at it seriously and see the list of new parts will be impressed. It is a very straight, new wrecked or even had the paint touched up, 2nd owner Nevada car, garaged most of it's life, new wheels and tires, etc. etc.

Besides, I did all the work so every nut and bolt is like factory and it is extremely clean under the hood and underneath too.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Need4speed2345, private message sent to you with owner's contact info. I will likely be posting it on the "for Sale" thread soon.

Users who are viewing this thread