Another "now what?" thread

GreyAsp

Established Member
So after 15-20 OT days, I've think I've finally gotten my track skill to the limit of my car as it sits now (01 Cobra, basic bolt-ons). For a start, I'm going to start swapping out my 3-season tires for DOT-Rs next season and I have FLSFCs going on this winter. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what to do suspension-wise. I don't want to go the track-whore route, but the car is only a summer-weekend driver so I'm willing to sacrifice a good bit of "normal" driveability for better trackability.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Lumpydogs

Established Member
I don't have as much experience as some of the track dawgs on here but I do have a 2001 cobra that has been going to the track for the past six years.

The track tires (r compound) will make the biggest difference.

Springs help out but the track purpose springs are a bit rough for daily driving. I ran with the Eibach Pro-Kit for both track and street driving with great success. (psst. they are for sale $90 shipped).

IRS, control arm and differential bushing replacement are supposed to be a big improvement with keeping our IRS butts glued to the track. Bruce (ac427cobra), sells a great set that is less expensive then other on-line kits.

Just curious, has your car developed a significant clunk when shifting gears?
My cobra did after a few track outtings. I found out this past fall that it was due to worn out (burnt up) stock differential bushings. My diff was literally clocking 3/4" under heavy load (i.e. shifting gears) My 4.10 gear set really heats up the diff on track. I have spoke with other 99-01 cobra owners who developed the clunk even with stock 3.27 gear sets.

For a list of my mods check out www.lumpydogmotorsports.com go to "About Us" then "Mods"

I hope this helps

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Okay here goes.

-the FLSFC should have been on from day one, so do those asap.
-replace the rear IRS/diff. bushings with some Delrin/poly/aluminum ones.
-install some adjustable rear sway bar links.
-some aftermarket springs would be nice (preferably coilovers)
-replace your front k member w/ lighter piece, should have poly/delrin bushings.
-some aluminum steering rack bushings.

You'll be amazed at how your car will handle. The bushings may give you a little more road noise and vibration, but nothing untolerable. Some of the above items are cheap and an easy install, that will return great road feel. Like the steering rack bushings. I have found that coilovers, while expensive, perform way better than regular springs. Plus, once they are on the springs are cheap and relatively easy to replace. To save a few $ you could use H&R race.

As far as brand I am partial to Maximum Motorsports. Though Bruce (ac427cobra) makes a kit that has a good reputation and I will get once I am ready to do all my rear bushings.

While I don't have the experience that you have, I usually do a mod or two for each event so I can feel the difference it makes in the car. You could go that route and update us on your best bang for the buck mod.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Yeah, SFC's are mandatory on mustangs.

I'd say some H&R race springs and either new koni's or Bilsteins would really help out the handling if you are putting on R compound tires. I don't think the k-member is really that necessary since you have an aluminum block, and no supercharger like the 03 cobras. Talk to Bruce about IRS bushings for your applications.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So after 15-20 OT days, I've think I've finally gotten my track skill to the limit of my car as it sits now (01 Cobra, basic bolt-ons). For a start, I'm going to start swapping out my 3-season tires for DOT-Rs next season and I have FLSFCs going on this winter. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what to do suspension-wise. I don't want to go the track-whore route, but the car is only a summer-weekend driver so I'm willing to sacrifice a good bit of "normal" driveability for better trackability.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

It would be helpful to know exactly what these basic bolt ons are are.... and what limit has been reached... IE: over all grip, braking, or correcting a specific handling issue.

Most of my 01/99 Cobra track friends have moved to 17"x9" track wheels and 275/40R17 R tires..

Brake cooling ducts and an aggresive set of track only pads.. are a good start..in that order.

Maximum Motorsport caster camber plates(negative camber is your friend on track), solid rack bushings and 4 point K brace... are all helpful with minimal NVH issues.

Last edited:

GreyAsp

Established Member
Lumpy: I had been thinking about doing Bruce's bushing kit, but I'm waffling on it because it's such a big task. I definitely have the "shift-clunk" - I don't remember when it started, though. I burned up one diff already (replaced under warranty) and may go with a T2R and cooler if (when?) this one goes.

SB/WH: Looks like there are several versions of both the Bilsteins and Konis available. Pros/cons of each? And is it worth replacing the rears also?

Jimmy: My mods are pretty basic: intake, exhaust, shifter, tune, brake ducts, SS brake lines. My complaints are: two parts grip, one part body-roll. I'm okay with the braking right now, no complaints there (yet ;-)). Is the grip of the wider wheels/tires worth the extra weight?

Thanks.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Lumpy: I had been thinking about doing Bruce's bushing kit, but I'm waffling on it because it's such a big task. I definitely have the "shift-clunk" - I don't remember when it started, though. I burned up one diff already (replaced under warranty) and may go with a T2R and cooler if (when?) this one goes.

SB/WH: Looks like there are several versions of both the Bilsteins and Konis available. Pros/cons of each? And is it worth replacing the rears also?

Jimmy: My mods are pretty basic: intake, exhaust, shifter, tune, brake ducts, SS brake lines. My complaints are: two parts grip, one part body-roll. I'm okay with the braking right now, no complaints there (yet ;-)). Is the grip of the wider wheels/tires worth the extra weight?

Thanks.

Jeff:

Wider lightweight wheels and tires definitely help a Mustang. But the they are not cheap!

IMHO you should have better brakes before you do my IRS kit. If you're running on the stock PBR calipers the four pot Brembos will give you a real nice upgrade.

FWIW.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Thanks.

I prefer the Konis over the Bilsteins because of the adjustability you have. Koni only makes single adjustable shocks for the IRS. I have them and they work great with my Race springs. For the front, I believe they make single and double adjustable, but I'd go with the DA's if you have the money so you don't have to upgrade in the future. If you want to go all out right away, get MM coilovers instead of regular springs, they'll offer the best handling.

If you have a bad shift clunk, definitely go with aluminum diff bushings. I had crappy stock bushings and the urethane replacements got rid of my clunk completely. I haven't been to a track, so I don't need Al ones yet.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^I prefer the Bilstiens because you don't have to adjust them. I don't want to keep tweaking my shocks/struts when I am at the track, I want to drive. There are so many things that you need to check and keep your eyes on while OTing, the nonadjustable items are 1 less thing I have to worry about.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Thanks.

Without question!!!

My track wheels are 95 Cobra Rs from FRPP... approx. 23 pounds each.
What do 01 wheels weigh???

Any 17x9 wheel 23 pounds or less would be a good choice... lighter equals more expensive more often than not.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
^I prefer the Bilstiens because you don't have to adjust them. I don't want to keep tweaking my shocks/struts when I am at the track, I want to drive. There are so many things that you need to check and keep your eyes on while OTing, the nonadjustable items are 1 less thing I have to worry about.

Yeah, this is true. I keep the rears on full stiff on the street and would on the track as well. When I went to the drag strip, I was able to set them much softer and get a great launch. I might even want to set them a little softer on the road course to help put power down out of the corners. Just food for thought.

Since the front's are double adjustable and you might be swapping front springs and ride heights every once in a while, the adjustability could come in handy. You can tune the shock to your liking and driving style. I guess it'll make more sense later if I actually become a good driver. Right now, I'll just 'set it and forget it' lol.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I might even want to set them a little softer on the road course to help put power down out of the corners.

What power:shrug:?

J/K

I can appreciate the adjustable shocks and struts. I just like to keep things as simple as possible. The R struts and shocks are at the same setting as when I bought it.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
What power:shrug:?

Haha I knew that was coming, but I can break the tires loose when boost hits at the top of 2nd gear, so I'd like to prevent that at all costs lol. Plus I'll probably be stepping up to a 3.73 sometime to get into boost quicker than with the 3.55's.

GreyAsp

Established Member
Without question!!!

My track wheels are 95 Cobra Rs from FRPP... approx. 23 pounds each.
What do 01 wheels weigh???
I think my stockers are just about that weight too, but they're only 17x8s. I'll probably go with the 17x9s.

GreyAsp

Established Member
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to go with Bilsteins and H&R springs all around and C/C plates. I'll start thinking about bushings, etc. for next time.

One last question: are the Bilstein Sport S/S (not the HDs) a good/correct match for the H&R Race springs?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Call up MM and ask them, their guys know what they are talking about. I think they have a set they recommend for the race springs.

Users who are viewing this thread