Another needing spring decision help

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
On that car I cut 1 coil on the fronts and 1 coil on the rears and left the isolators out, I would however suggest just 3/4 coil on the rear cause mine sat slightly lower in the rear.

I've got another red 99 now that I'm gonna cut 1 front 3/4 rear but leave the isolators cause I don't want it quite that low. BTW I was running 03/04 Bilsteins on the white one and it rode great!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thanks viper. I was thinking of going with a half coil, but now I think I'll do 3/4.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/89858/
http://www.superhunky.com/Spring.html

yes it does increase spring rate. think of a long straight rod, if you cut that rod shorter, it'll be stiffer. same concept.

edit: [hehe I said rod, and stiffer...heheheh]

I do not recomment cutting springs.
also I do not recommend applying heat to the springs as it changes the properties of the metal. but the method for determining your final spring rate is good

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Tango7 said:
When you cut the springs do you cut the bottom or the top???

I know the front springs you cut from the bottom. On the solid axle cars you cut from the top on the rear springs. I'm not sure if there's a pig tail on the IRS springs you need to keep.

IMO, cutting springs isn't bad, as long as it's done in moderation. I wouldn't go more then a coil myself. If you're looking for a massive drop, buy aftermarket springs.

SpittinVenom

Established Member
I wouldnt mind mine sitting a tad lower, but I have saleen racecraft springs and I dont know if I can take off just a little.

01yellercobra

Established Member
SpittinVenom said:
I wouldnt mind mine sitting a tad lower, but I have saleen racecraft springs and I dont know if I can take off just a little.

Look into it. I know the FRPP springs have a couple dead coils that can be cut out ot modify the height without affecting the spring rate.

momo stallion

ta'aj
Established Member
slo984now said:
I know the front springs you cut from the bottom. On the solid axle cars you cut from the top on the rear springs. I'm not sure if there's a pig tail on the IRS springs you need to keep.

IMO, cutting springs isn't bad, as long as it's done in moderation. I wouldn't go more then a coil myself. If you're looking for a massive drop, buy aftermarket springs.

there is no pig tail on the irs cars like with the solid rear cars.

i was always told cut from the top and have done so, but i really didnt like the effect it had esp. since it messed up how the spring sits on the perch..

i think i will lower the 04 and cut 1 coil from the bottom up front and 3/4 from the bottom out back.

Users who are viewing this thread