Another needing spring decision help

svtmc-g

Established Member
Hey Gents. I know this is beating a dead horse BUT you all are the best info no matter what the scenario
Trying to pick some lowering springs for my car. here's my details.
-I want to go as low as possible and still have a decent ride
-I plan to have long tube headers soon after!
-who knows clearance facts assoiciated with running LT's(i.e.,you can only go___" on a 99' with LT's)
-I will also be putting on some 18x9 and 18x10 FR500's after the long tubes.
-I don't want junk springs(of course)
-let's see pics of your suggestion?
-will 1.5" drop springs and isolators together not lower that much(considering the isolators being new and stout)
Check out
my gotstang.com spot
To see my photochop's(one of them is SLAMMED but looks EXACTLY how I want!

I drive myself nuts thinking about this and I need real facts and exp., which I know i can get here! Thanks in advance fella's(or lady's if any post)

Last edited:

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I would suggest Kenny Brown springs.. I like mine a lot and they give the car a mean stance.

(a crappy pic taken at night with my camera phone.. excuse the quality)
CobraWamu.jpg

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you are positive that you are putting long tubes on the car I would get that done and out of the way first. You don't want to put a spring on the car only to find out after you install the long tubes that the spring you chose is too short and you have clearance issues with your long tubes.

Alternatively you could switch to a coil-over setup. Not only would this give you significant'y better handling, but it would also allow for ride height adjustment. You could install the setup now then adjust later after putting in the long tubes.

just a though.

svtmc-g

Established Member
Sounds great...but aren't coilovers like $1000 at least?
Does anyone know if there's a brand of long tubes that tuck up under there a bit better than others? I've heard of this before somewhere. you know, some brand allows you to lower your care further 'cause they aren't as long or some crap?!?!
Mc-G

RED99VASVT

Established Member
Everyone here says to avoid Mac LTs, but they give very good power and better clearance than others I looked at. Both those were considerations for me. I have had my Mac's with Pro-Chamber and FlowPaths on for 2 years with no problems at all and the clearance is better than other LTs (80 K miles driving from VA to MD weekly - I know most would criticise that also, but I bought it to drive and enjoy). Just look them over really well and remove any welding slag you see and smooth the inlets. You will be happy. IMHO...

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
look for the various Kenny Brown springed cars- its the "just enough drop" that provides a good balance with looks, and ground clearance

Taz

Established Member
I'm a little slow. How does cutting a spring increase its rate?

Thanks in advance.

T-

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
I'd just cut the stock springs, it will increase the springrate.

Wrong. on a progressive spring you will only remove the spring force from where it is cut, but that will not increase the rate for the remaining spring. the remaining piece will still require the same force to compress it as before.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
TheGord said:
Wrong. on a progressive spring you will only remove the spring force from where it is cut, but that will not increase the rate for the remaining spring. the remaining piece will still require the same force to compress it as before.

Stock springs are not progressive, and therefore when you cut them it increases the spring rate a little. If it didn't the 03/04 Cobra guys wouldn't be doing it to help with wheelhop.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
Stock springs are not progressive, and therefore when you cut them it increases the spring rate a little. If it didn't the 03/04 Cobra guys wouldn't be doing it to help with wheelhop.

Cause if the 03 Cobra guys do it, it must be right. lol.

FWIW, 99.99999999% of them are doing it for looks, not wheelhop.

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
viperbluelx said:

are you serious? please explain how cutting a spring would increase the spring rate. does cutting the spring kill it and then rigormortis sets in THEREFORE making the spring more stiff?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
TheGord said:
are you serious? please explain how cutting a spring would increase the spring rate. does cutting the spring kill it and then rigormortis sets in THEREFORE making the spring more stiff?

It has something to do with removing active coils. I have a buddy that builds suspensions for Baja trucks, he told me why once, but I can't remember the details.

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
spring rate is an inherant property of the spring. much like molecular mass. so if you take a Kg of an element and remove half of it, it will still have the same molecular mass. Springs however will fade with time/abuse, therefore changing the spring rate

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yes, they will fade over time and lose rate, but we're talking about fairly new springs here. I know it has something to do with removing the amount of active coils. And I know they do get stiffer because I cut the springs on my GT and the ride stiffened up. It's not like they go from a 400lb/in spring to 700lb/in. But they do get stiffer. Hopefully someone more awake then me can answer better.

Users who are viewing this thread