Another Lightning killer coming this summer!!!

Blk-Bolt

Established Member
For those of you who haven't heard, take a look at the new Motor Trend magazine that just came out. SVT has done it again for 2003 and is pumping the SVT Cobra with a supercharger similar to what we have and pumped the engine with a cast iron block with aliminum heads which puts out a CONSERVATIVE 390 hp with 8lbs of boost. Thats a low 12 second car STOCK! With a few mods that we do to our intakes and boost it's easily an 11 second car. I play and toy with any mustage now including the Cobras but if a 03 SVT Cobra pulls up next to me I may play dead rather than take that ass wooping. $35,000 and an early release this summer we will be sure to see a bunch of them by the end of summer 2002.:mj: :gt:

whip

Established Member
With a few mods, easily a 11 second car? Hmmm, Only time will tell. I think as you get faster and faster, you have to work harder for each tenth. I don't doubt that 11 second cobras will be out there, but they will be few and far between, and will have mucho bucks invested to do so.

Gambinotdx

Established Member
03 cobra

I'm a soon to be L owner and to be honest i'm glad that Ford increased the performance of the cobra for '03. after all, Ls are TRUCKS and cobras are cars. i think of them as family and so its fine with me if they want to compete with zo6s and vipers. cause i sure as hell can't with my L...unless i come into some large sum of money in the near future hehe but i'm happy to see the cobra competing. i'd like to see the L put out over 400hp stock next year but who knows. maybe they will! but cobras are family and i'm happy for them. of course i'd never pass up a race with a cobra just to see it friggin take off! let the cobras fight the zo6s and vipers and the Lightning remains King of Trucks. if the SRT comes out then its war. THAT is a threat to our territory. keep on rollin' :burnout: :burnout:

Mr_Mischief67

Established Member
Re: 03 cobra

Originally posted by Gambinotdx
I'm a soon to be L owner and to be honest i'm glad that Ford increased the performance of the cobra for '03. after all, Ls are TRUCKS and cobras are cars. i think of them as family and so its fine with me if they want to compete with zo6s and vipers. cause i sure as hell can't with my L...unless i come into some large sum of money in the near future hehe but i'm happy to see the cobra competing. i'd like to see the L put out over 400hp stock next year but who knows. maybe they will! but cobras are family and i'm happy for them. of course i'd never pass up a race with a cobra just to see it friggin take off! let the cobras fight the zo6s and vipers and the Lightning remains King of Trucks. if the SRT comes out then its war. THAT is a threat to our territory. keep on rollin' :burnout: :burnout:

i agree, obtw f*ck the SRT

whip

Established Member
Yeah, exactly what Gambinotdx said. I think it rocks that Ford is finally starting to grow some gahoonies and make us proud. There are so many closet Ford fans that just don't have a vehicle to be proud of. Lets face it, it takes weird bunch to worship muscletruck! I'll bet everyone's wife or girlfriend loves their L. But pick a girl up at a bar and try to explain to her what you drive. She'll be like, WTF, my last boyfriend had a covette, hehe, it was blue and pretty hehe! And how bout the release of the GT40???? That will stomp us, but guess what, I would love to see one blow my doors off!!!! Blue Oval all the way baby!!!!! Burn jaque nasser at the stake, BURN MF'r BURN!!!! Can ya tell I'm glad he's gone!

tallimeca

Established Member
low 12's?

I don't know what the formula is but it looks to me that the new cobra's will be pulling closer to high 12's with a good driver rather than low 12's. Don't have the article in front of me, but i thought they said topping out at 114 mph in the 1/4 and 0-60 in 4.9...........
never ran the 1/4 mile but i don't think those are low 12 high 11 second #'s stock, but like you said, with he after market upgrades maybe. I agree, the mustangs are a car and should be faster than a pickup, but that's what makes it so much sweeter when i see the look on the mustang drivers face after i smoked him at the light..........hehe. Chances are i would have bought a cobra at some point if i could squeeze my large frame into one!!!:p

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I'll agree that the new Cobra is gonna be a high 12-sec car... low 12's will be doable, but 11's won't just be handed to ya'... Instead of the normal hp increasing bolt-ons Mustangers are used to purchasing right away, I think the aftermarket purchases will now turn towards TRACTION aids first! :)

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
I'll agree that the new Cobra is gonna be a high 12-sec car... low 12's will be doable, but 11's won't just be handed to ya'... Instead of the normal hp increasing bolt-ons Mustangers are used to purchasing right away, I think the aftermarket purchases will now turn towards TRACTION aids first! :)

Yeah, and then they'll be swapping out their BROKEN IRS for a solid rear axle! Damn I wish they'd make an IRS delete option on the Cobra's... :mj:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by HAMMRHEAD

Yeah, and then they'll be swapping out their BROKEN IRS for a solid rear axle! Damn I wish they'd make an IRS delete option on the Cobra's... :mj:
Exactly.... wonder how many warranty IRS's they'll rebuild before they realize the solid axle is cheaper and can haldle more...

bret

Established Member
Re: 03 cobra

i'd like to see the L put out over 400hp stock next year but who knows.

i bet they kill the L until 04 or 05. roush killed their Stage3 F-150, which makes me think there is something brewing in the future...

just be happy they are building the GT-40... maybe we can pirate some parts off that and put some of these SRTs to rest.

Gambinotdx

Established Member
whoa bret whoa!

put some of these SRTs to rest? they haven't been born yet! it isn't even worth discussing until they exist. i'm not nervous in the least bit about those. long live the L!!!!! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Tim Bindon

Established Member
Re: whoa bret whoa!

put some of these SRTs to rest? they haven't been born yet! it isn't even worth discussing until they exist. i'm not nervous in the least bit about those. long live the L!!!!! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

I read an article in this months Auto World about the SRT. They say it will be in production next year and I quote "it makes the Lightning look like a gentle rain." Some Chrysler exec. was quoted with that bit of wizardry at the end of the article. I'm pissed... them are fightin words.

Its GO-Time

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Yeah I just seen an article on it also... 500hp Viper V-10 and Viper front brakes.... I hope this won't be ignored or allowed to happen without a rebuttle... Demz Fightin' Words!! :fm:

KINGCOBRA150

Established Member
SRT sucks @$$

HERE IS WHAT SVT NEEDS TO DO........

2004 FORD SVT LIGHTNING "R"

Ford F-150 Standard Cab Step-Side w/

A freakin' 6-speed sequential shift transmission
(sorry guys had to go import for that one, its a manual and its an auto if you haven't heard of it)

6.8L Triton 40v V-10
D-1 ProCharger Supercharger w/ intercooler
36# FRPP fuel injectors
155lph Fuel Pump
V-10 "R" Intake w/ single-blade cobra throttle body
Cold Air Intake
120mm Mass Air Sensor
4/6 drop on air-bags
Factory Equip. Functional Ram-Air Hood
2" chop to roof line
Factory Equip. Headers
Factory Equip. High-Flow Cat's (or no cats for non-emissions states)
Factory Equip. X-Pipe
Factory Equip. Cherri-Bomb Glass Pack Mufflers
AWD w/ Auto-Disengage selector for an auto-off w/ shift to 2nd gear.
4.56 gears

Hoping for 500 plus-hp in a truck that weighs alot less than the damn SRT-10. The AWD is intended to give alot of take-off power with minimal drain of hp, made up by the 4.56 gears. Lots of Factory equipment that is usually aftermarket will help. And yes i did say 40v heads, time to take the V-10 to the DOHC realm.

Lightning: 4600 lbs approx.
SRT-10: a whooping 5000 lbs plus....

(Ought to make the Mayor of Truckville resign his position, hehehe)

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Re: SRT sucks @$$

Originally posted by KINGCOBRA150
HERE IS WHAT SVT NEEDS TO DO........

2004 FORD SVT LIGHTNING "R"

Ford F-150 Standard Cab Step-Side w/

A freakin' 6-speed sequential shift transmission
(sorry guys had to go import for that one, its a manual and its an auto if you haven't heard of it)

6.8L Triton 40v V-10
D-1 ProCharger Supercharger w/ intercooler
36# FRPP fuel injectors
155lph Fuel Pump
V-10 "R" Intake w/ single-blade cobra throttle body
Cold Air Intake
120mm Mass Air Sensor
4/6 drop on air-bags
Factory Equip. Functional Ram-Air Hood
2" chop to roof line
Factory Equip. Headers
Factory Equip. High-Flow Cat's (or no cats for non-emissions states)
Factory Equip. X-Pipe
Factory Equip. Cherri-Bomb Glass Pack Mufflers
AWD w/ Auto-Disengage selector for an auto-off w/ shift to 2nd gear.
4.56 gears

Hoping for 500 plus-hp in a truck that weighs alot less than the damn SRT-10. The AWD is intended to give alot of take-off power with minimal drain of hp, made up by the 4.56 gears. Lots of Factory equipment that is usually aftermarket will help. And yes i did say 40v heads, time to take the V-10 to the DOHC realm.

Lightning: 4600 lbs approx.
SRT-10: a whooping 5000 lbs plus....

(Ought to make the Mayor of Truckville resign his position, hehehe)

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

dude, I like the way you think. the only flaw is 155lph fuel pump on that engine with 36# injectors?? I say twin 190lph with steel fuel lines, direct access!

That would make a killer package, also killer dollars too I suspect;-)

TLight

Established Member
Guys,

One of my good friend's uncles works for the new POV division. Here are a few of the things he has told my friend. (you know, he is supposed to keep this stuff secret, oh well) The best 1/4 time that they have gotten so far is 13 flat. They are having monstorous problems keeping the engine and tranny cool. :rolling: The price is more than likely to more than double the price of a lightning. Should be just a little cheaper than the Viper itself. That is all I have heard for now. I will keep posting new info as I get it though. If they ever do get this truck right, it will be a long time before I see one anywhere near Kansas.

KINGCOBRA150

Established Member
Resurect the 460 Cobra Jet

I think your right FordSVTFan. How stupid can those guys at PVO be...it's called a Transmission Fluid Cooler...you can pick one up from summit racing for about $200 or so. That's what you get for puttin so much engine under the hood that you can't fit enough cooling power in to keep it all driveable. I would love to be racing some SRT-10 and see a big pillar of steam and smoke shoot out of the hood...fried engine with a side of tranny coming right up. My friend had trouble keeping his 460 swap in his '98 F-150 cool too, he ducted two cold air intakes from under the front bumper into the back of his engine compartment with high speed fans on the ends, we tested it with a pair of industrial fans on medium speed and the air coming out the other end was about 40 degrees on a 98 degree day, pretty slick huh.:idea:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
This could explain why I didn't see the SRT at the Auto Show this weekend... local paper said it would be there, but was not.

A Dodge with tranny problems???
No waaaayyyyyy.... :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread