Another Corvette Kill

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Nice kill Tom. I beat two Vettes with my car too. One was from a traffic light, and ended at 110 MPH with me in the lead by two car lengths after purposely giving him the lead off the line because I was concerned about how close his car was to mine when we lined up at the trafic light, and the other one was a Z06 on the highway from 70 MPH to 110 MPH which also ended with my car two car lenghts ahead. I agree with what Mark stated about most Vette owners being snobs as well as sore losers. But I don't consider their cars to be slouches at all. Those LS1/LS2, and LS6 engines are very impressive for being in factory street cars IMO.

With my car, I think that Vette and Camaro SS owners are even more surprised when they get beat, because it's not as easy to hear my supercharger, so it proves to be very stealth. Which wouldn't be desireable for those who like the supercharger whine, but I'm one of those who doesn't like that whining noise anyway, and would rather hear the growl of the V8 engine under the hood. But either way, I think it's sweet to beat a car like the Vette that weighs 800 LBS less than ours do, and also has 70 more cubes under the hood.

Last edited:

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
BillyGman said:
With my car, I think that Vette and Camaro SS owners are even more surprised when they get beat, because it's not as easy to hear my supercharger, so it proves to be very stealth. Which wouldn't be desireable for those who like the supercharger whine, but I'm one of those who doesn't like that whining noise anyway, and would rather hear the growl of the V8 engine under the hood. But either way, I think it's sweet to beat a car like the Vette that weighs 800 LBS less than ours do, and also has 70 more cubes under the hood.

This is surprising to hear, but......I am not surprised :bs: . Centrifugal blowers only make a whine at idle or slightly moving, a couple MPH. At boost they cannot be heard at all, it is all engine noise. So how would the owner of another car hear a centrifugal unless he was at a dead stop. On the highway there is no way to tell. The roots on the other hand is much louder and more distinctive than a centrifigual when going down the street and under boost although it is soundless at idle. Another misconception that will be recorded in the "Book of Pointlessness".

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
tmac1337 said:
This is surprising to hear, but......I am not surprised :bs: . Centrifugal blowers only make a whine at idle or slightly moving, a couple MPH. At boost they cannot be heard at all, it is all engine noise. So how would the owner of another car hear a centrifugal unless he was at a dead stop. On the highway there is no way to tell. The roots on the other hand is much louder and more distinctive than a centrifigual when going down the street and under boost although it is soundless at idle. Another misconception that will be recorded in the "Book of Pointlessness".

Re-read the post, Einstein. Billy's talking about the whine from the Trilogy blower. He has the stock airbox, and the combination of that and the headers make his car deceptively quiet. He never mentioned centrifugal blowers. He's talking about people like me, who have a K&N and LIKE the blower whine.

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
tallboy said:
Re-read the post, Einstein. Billy's talking about the whine from the Trilogy blower. He has the stock airbox, and the combination of that and the headers make his car deceptively quiet. He never mentioned centrifugal blowers. He's talking about people like me, who have a K&N and LIKE the blower whine.
Yep. Chuck has it right.

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
Nice kill Tom. I beat two Vettes with my car too. One was from a traffic light, and ended at 110 MPH with me in the lead by two car lengths after purposely giving him the lead off the line because I was concerned about how close his car was to mine when we lined up at the trafic light, and the other one was a Z06 on the highway from 70 MPH to 110 MPH which also ended with my car two car lenghts ahead. I agree with what Mark stated about most Vette owners being snobs as well as sore losers. But I don't consider their cars to be slouches at all. Those LS1/LS2, and LS6 engines are very impressive for being in factory street cars IMO.

Yes indeed it is sweeeeeeeeeet. Vettes seem to be the most fun car to smoke. I do have a R/T Daytona Charger driving around my area that when going the opposite direction he has given me the evil eye :dw: But sooner or later he and I are going to be side by side and is he going to be in for a surprise :-D

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
Yes indeed it is sweeeeeeeeeet. Vettes seem to be the most fun car to smoke. I do have a R/T Daytona Charger driving around my area that when going the opposite direction he has given me the evil eye :dw: But sooner or later he and I are going to be side by side and is he going to be in for a surprise :-D
LOL...yeah Tom, I can relate to that. After awhile you know exactly how to bait them, and once they take the bait, you reel them in for the kill. I just give it about half throttle so that they can hear the growl of the headers, and then they're sure that I'm not a cop, so then they take the bait.

And because of the sheer size and weight of the Marauder, they're totally unsusupecting of the power that your supercharger supplies under the hood, and they're confident that their smaller, lighter car will walk right on by your Marauder. That is until they're looking at your tail lights and your drag radials as your Marauder walks away from them despite their right foot being on the go pedal hard.

I just did that again with a Nissan Turbo 300 ZX yesterday, and he hammered the go pedal down thinking that his foreign sports car would fly right by my Marauder. But I waited until I saw him get on it, and until his front bumper was at my back wheel and then I stomped on it. Because he had the momentum built up already, his front bumper reached the front door of my car, but by then it was all over for him, and the Marauder took over and he faded back about one and a half car lengths, and then he gave up.

Last edited:

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
LOL...yeah Tom, I can relate to that. After awhile you know exactly how to bait them, and once they take the bait, you reel them in for the kill. I just give it about half throttle so that they can hear the growl of the headers, and then they're sure that I'm not a cop, so then they take the bait.

And because of the sheer size and weight of the Marauder, they're totally unsusupecting of the power that your supercharger supplies under the hood, and they're confident that their smaller, lighter car will walk right on by your Marauder. That is until they're looking at your tail lights and your drag radials as your Marauder walks away from them despite their right foot being on the go pedal hard.

I just did that again with a Nissan Turbo 300 ZX yesterday, and he hammered the go pedal down thinking that his foreign sports car would fly right by my Marauder. But I waited until I saw him get on it, and until his front bumper was at my back wheel and then I stomped on it. Because he had the momentum built up already, his front bumper reached the front door of my car, but by then it was all over for him, and the Marauder took over and he faded back about one and a half car lengths, and then he gave up.

10-4 to that. I have the widened rims and drag radials sitting in my garage. Hopefully when I get back from the road trip here in Philly the end of the this week, I will get them put on the car. (Ended up flying here. The gas prices would have cost me twice as much as flying here.) Really looking forward to some serious traction. Will try the air pressures your recommended for the street with the drag radials. Can't wait to really hammer it. :-D

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
10-4 to that. I have the widened rims and drag radials sitting in my garage. Hopefully when I get back from the road trip here in Philly the end of the this week, I will get them put on the car. (Ended up flying here. The gas prices would have cost me twice as much as flying here.) Really looking forward to some serious traction. Will try the air pressures your recommended for the street with the drag radials. Can't wait to really hammer it. :-D
yeah, you'll like them Tom. Also remember that they will make even more of a difference on the dragstrip than they do on the street. On the street I can still spin em from a dead punch (although not as good as the standard radial tires) but at the track, they grab completely off the line even though I hit the throttle down all at once.

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
yeah, you'll like them Tom. Also remember that they will make even more of a difference on the dragstrip than they do on the street. On the street I can still spin em from a dead punch (although not as good as the standard radial tires) but at the track, they grab completely off the line even though I hit the throttle down all at once.

Once the weather cools down a bit here I'll be at the track smoking them up. Hopefully that will be real soon. Will let you know how it all turns out.

carfixer

Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
Once the weather cools down a bit here I'll be at the track smoking them up. Hopefully that will be real soon. Will let you know how it all turns out.
I'm with you Tom, I can't wait for this weather to break so we can have a track day. Prolly looking at the end of Oct.

Billy, the 305's grip really nice on the street, compared to stock. I'm really impressed so far.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
carfixer said:
Billy, the 305's grip really nice on the street, compared to stock. I'm really impressed so far.
Oh, I agree with you Claude. They grab alot better than any standard radial tires do, yes. But w/out a good burnout performed first (like you would do before each race at the dragstrip) and w/out all that VHT traction compound like they have on the track, I have to walk my car out of the hole using half throttle when the traffic light turns green on the street, and then after about 20 feet I can stand on the pedal completely w/out having to be concerned about wheelspin. Which is still a lot better than the factory radials were, because with my 4.56 gears and the roots supercharger, when I've had the factory rubber on the back wheels, I can't even use half pedal to walk the car out of the hole w/out wheelspin.

In fact, when I use the standard radials in back, it's only to perform some better street burnouts, because w/out the drag radials, I cannot even get into the boost pressure at all while the transmission is in first gear w/out tire spin. But with the drag radials I can use the boost in first gear and still get them to grab.

The Wraith

Established Member
carfixer said:
the 305's grip really nice on the street, compared to stock. I'm really impressed so far.
They grip so good i had to get new spider gears , bearings and axle seals(Eaton posi unit and Mozer 31 spline axles).But alls good now.. :-D

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
carfixer said:
I'm with you Tom, I can't wait for this weather to break so we can have a track day. Prolly looking at the end of Oct.

Claude, glad to hear that you got your drag radials on. When I get back I will get them mounted the first of next week. Looking forward to the track. Any word on the line locks?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
The Wraith said:
They grip so good i had to get new spider gears , bearings and axle seals(Eaton posi unit and Mozer 31 spline axles).But alls good now.. :-D
Mark, based on the details of that story that you shared with us on the Marauder board, I don't think that it had anything to do with the drag radials. If you were running slicks, that might be another story, but not drag radials.

carfixer

Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
Claude, glad to hear that you got your drag radials on. When I get back I will get them mounted the first of next week. Looking forward to the track. Any word on the line locks?

Tom, I ordered 2 line lock kits last night from Summit. I'm going to mount mine first and make an installation kit from it. It looks like I'm going to have about a 1/2 dozen of them to do.

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
The Wraith said:
Hey vic yours don't look shaby either there budd.Is that all the mods it has or your just not telling us..
Thanks, as always your Marauder looks beautiful. That's all I have, basically. I just have the usual kick ass sound system, exterior mods all I have are crown vic 16x8 hpp rims on falken ze512's, hid kit/fog lights and marauder tips and tinted tails. other than that it's all the performance stuff in my sig. i love surprising mustangs :-D

The Wraith

Established Member
BillyGman said:
Mark, based on the details of that story that you shared with us on the Marauder board, I don't think that it had anything to do with the drag radials. If you were running slicks, that might be another story, but not drag radials.

I am assuming the corvette story?anyways when i picked up my car the car felt great absolutely nothing wrong.but a few days home and some miles on it i felt like a grinding when i would take off hard more and more each time i was doing it.then i saw the oil on the inside of the rim and thought oh well axle bearing was the grinding and seal was the leak..when i took it in for repair the mech opened it up and said i was so close to getting stuck good thing i bought it in when i did..he should me the parts (which i will take pics and post)Spider gears have chunks taken out of each gear and the one axle was grooved from the broken bearing..so i had to upgrade the rear sooner than (again)planned..when i asked why did this happen he said the slicks on the car and or it being a weak rear.. thats why i posted that..

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
The Wraith said:
..when i asked why did this happen he said the slicks on the car and or it being a weak rear.. thats why i posted that..
But I thought you had drag radials, and NOT slicks. Right? if he stated that it was because of "the slicks" and you have drag radials, then I question as to whetehr or not he knows what he's talking about, because although drag radials grab much better at the track than standard radials will, they don't grab as abrupty as slicks do. And BTW, you have me completely baffled with your comment about that "Corvette" because I don't even know what ytou're talking about. You are "Marauder Mark" from the Marauder board, right? if you aren't, then please correct me.

But if you are, I thopught I remembered you posting pics of 2 teeth being brken off of your ring gear. Right? And the way they were broken on te ends could indicate that the pinion depth was set wrong. Which would also explain why the gears began making noise. Yes, I think it was the gears making the noise IF it was in fact you who had those pics posted of your ring gear teeth broken.

The Wraith

Established Member
BillyGman said:
But I thought you had drag radials, and NOT slicks. Right? if he stated that it was because of "the slicks" and you have drag radials, then I question as to whetehr or not he knows what he's talking about, because although drag radials grab much better at the track than standard radials will, they don't grab as abrupty as slicks do. And BTW, you have me completely baffled with your comment about that "Corvette" because I don't even know what ytou're talking about. You are "Marauder Mark" from the Marauder board, right? if you aren't, then please correct me.

But if you are, I thopught I remembered you posting pics of 2 teeth being brken off of your ring gear. Right? And the way they were broken on te ends could indicate that the pinion depth was set wrong. Which would also explain why the gears began making noise. Yes, I think it was the gears making the noise IF it was in fact you who had those pics posted of your ring gear teeth broken.

Holy moly i never thought of that..This may have been a problem from before that just went now..WOW!!! Dam good thinkin Billy :thumbsup: ..yes its me Maraudermark .i didnt know which post you were refering to..dont mind me sometimes those drugs from when i was younger kik in and start saying goofey things.. :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread