Another cam thread...

SVT-PWR

Established Member
I know there has been a few threads on different cams (I have searched). But I am curious, from people with experience, what cams people would go with and why. I am mostly looking at L&M vs JDM but feel free to add something if necessary (I know others are decent but I've narrowed my opinion to these two). As of now I'm basing this off of bolt on parts. Performance comes first and sound is a strong second.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I know there has been a few threads on different cams (I have searched). But I am curious, from people with experience, what cams people would go with and why. I am mostly looking at L&M vs JDM but feel free to add something if necessary (I know others are decent but I've narrowed my opinion to these two). As of now I'm basing this off of bolt on parts. Performance comes first and sound is a strong second.

I couldn't be happier with the JDM set-up
Here's the write up
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...y-Realspeed&highlight=jdm+cams+09troublemaker

Currently only running the cams/headers and FRPP 65 MM

Good luck

BlueEyedSnake

Banned
I got custom Bullet camshafts with PAC Springs and Retainers for $1,700 shipped to my house. I just put them in and have yet to dyno the car. The two companies you have in mind are good choices.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I want to do a cam swap this winter on my 2013. Does the engine have to be pulled to install the cams? Thanks.

not really but if you wanna make life easier, drop the entire K member with the motor on it then reinstall when done

TORQJNKY

I, like 09Troublemaker, have the JDM cams and had very similar gains. Some have installed cams with the engine in the car. I personally had my motor pulled. It just makes it so much easier to get to the springs, to remove the timing cover to, line up the timing marks, etc. I also had my cams degreed by L&M. Not completely necessary with the JDM cams, but I wanted to make sure I was getting every ounce of power I could out of them. The engine has to be out to the car to degree the cams.

I believe L&M cams are custom ground cams in house to fit your set up, but I might be mistaken about the in house part...where the JDM cams are COMP cams cut to JDM specifics. I personally think you could probalby make a little more power with custom ground L&M cams, but the JDM cams are no slouch by any means and that's documented. The idle is very similar between the two cams but I think L&M can provide you the idle quality you desire where you get what you get with the JDM cams. Here is my 13 GT500 with JDM cams and a 13 GT500 with L&M cams. Not much difference in idle but different cam profiles. Hope this helps.

L&M Cams

[youtube_browser]XRb5loHGJ0s[/youtube_browser]

JDM Cams

[youtube_browser]6cFeOxcgr-U[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Not that anything is wrong with the L&M and JDM cams, but what has pushed you away from our no spring required "Lethal Grinds" or our customs that do require springs/retainers? We have several memebers here running the Lethal Grind and they make great power and sound great too! You'll be able to squeeze more power out of our Bullet custom grinds when going with springs/retainers as you'll be able to get more aggressive with the cam profile.

Here is a video of the no spring required "Lethal Grinds" thanks to a member here... I can't remember his user name, but his name is Brian C. in Louisiana.
[youtube_browser]9i-IF_bfOpM[/youtube_browser]

Here are the custom grinds that Bullet did for our 1250rwhp GT500. This is right after install and the idle was still being worked on, so it's a little high in the vid.
[youtube_browser]i_Q8x-4npXs[/youtube_browser]

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Mike at L&M has more experience with cams than any other modular designer IMO. His cams are also ground by Comp.

Call Chris at Comp and ask him how good Mike's designs are.

He takes his cam profiles out to much greater detail than most. He has 4000 cam designs in his library.

my biggest regret with my car is not having him put a set in when he did the motor..... there was only so much money at the time.

SVT-PWR

Established Member
Thanks a lot lethal for making it more difficult :-D
I'm ok with having springs and retainers done as well since I'm already starting on the top end with the cams.
I appreciate the answers from everyone, especially Torq and Stk for the info. Lethal your not thanked for adding another option when I thought I had it narrowed down. :rollseyes

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
I have the L&M cams and love them. I don't think my video that Torqjnky posted does them justice to how good they sound. Mike also makes them so they don't require springs. As for removing the motor, the shop I use does it with the motor in the car. They have done enough of them now, that they make it look easy. Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread