Another Blake Holcomb Motor Failure

Big Q

Established Member
I'm sure some on this board are aware of the poor work Blake Holcomb sends out of his shop. Unfortunately I was not aware of this at the time I ordered and only started to hear of the issues after I had already paid and shipped him my heads and timing components etc. I ordered on Feb 28th, was told a 10 day turnaround, after every excuse imaginable the motor arrived on May 24th. Upon installation and a 10 min datalog session with my tuner I found coolant dripping on the garage floor, I removed the intake and found the following. I then cleaned the head gasket and rented a pressure tester to test the coolant system.

Blake Leaking Head Gasket.JPG
Blake Test 1.JPG
Blake Test 2.JPG
Blake Test 3.JPG
Blake Test 4.JPG

vortecd

Established Member
Lots of good feedback about him so I placed an order for a short block end of December and was told 4-6 weeks. After 13 weeks and every excuse during that time I said I was done. Stay clear! Sorry about your issues

hand-filer

Established Member
OP, Sorry to hear about your situation; I'd be seriously pissed. Curious to know how the builder responded to this.

Big Q

Established Member
Magically he now has no cell phone or FB messenger account (I wouldn't either sounds like alot of people are trying to get ahold of him) or any way to be contacted according to him. I was able to get him on the phone at the shop and he told me I could send it back and he'd take a look at it, I told him the only shipping that was going to get done was for a refund which he proceeded to tell me he didn't have the money to refund. It's in paypal's and my cc companies hands now if paypal doesn't give me my funds back.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
glad you posted the truth.lot of people on here get mad when someone starts bashing but you got pictures to back it up.Sorry for your loss.that really sux.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
sounds like the go-to guy for engine work......

Sorry to hear about the OP's issues.

I don't like talking, or writing smack about anybody but word needs to be spread Holcomb is currently having a shit load of issues. One of the guys up here by me almost got ass ****ed by Blake, Holcomb sat on his stuff for 3 months til he finally told him he hadn't started on his build. Lucky for him it turns out.

I talked to Kevin Mullins who runs TKM Performance a couple weeks ago and he said Blake started using them to do sleeving work since he was having issues dropping sleeves. Apparently his machines are wore out and he can't keep the tolerances as tight as they need to be.

He said he had four blocks from Holcomb in his shop and Blake wasn't talking to him about what work he wanted done either.

cb900f

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the OP's issues.

I don't like talking, or writing smack about anybody but word needs to be spread Holcomb is currently having a shit load of issues. One of the guys up here by me almost got ass ****ed Blake, Holcomb sat on his stuff for 3 months til he finally told him he hadn't started on his build. Lucky for him it turns out.

I talked to Kevin Mullins who runs TKM Performance a couple weeks ago and he said Blake started using them to do sleeving work since he was having issues dropping sleeves. Apparently his machines are wore out and he can't keep the tolerances as tight as they need to be.

He said he had four blocks from Holcomb in his shop and Blake wasn't talking to him about what work he wanted done either.

So I have to ask, if the motor has been bored out with one of these machines, is it fixable?

4VFTW

Established Member
If you cant afford to fix your mistakes you need to stop performing said work and seek employment

DaBigBone

Established Member
I literally have not seen one positive thing about this guy. How the heck does he still get customers? Are people doing 0 research before dealing with him?

11gtcs

Established Member
Sorry to hear about this. I've been down that road before, different message board, different vendor but, similar issues. I know these small businesses live and die by their reputation on these fourms and mistakes do happen but the way they handle these problems is where their true colors shine. Hopefully they make things right. Good luck!

Big Q

Established Member
I hope that's just the head gasket leaking and not a bad deck.

It would be nice, but with a couple former customers that I have spoke to I'd be suprised. Lots of poor machine work and parts that were paid for that weren't installed. I don't know what kind of pressure the cylinders see under load but if it's leaking this quickly pumping it up with a bicycle pump I'd be suprised if it's just a head gasket unless they left the arp head studs hand tight. My money is on a poorly decked block if they did it at all.

Last edited:

Big Q

Established Member
Glad you posted this OP! Otherwise when searching you only find positive feedbacks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suprising, I know of one other recent customer who has dissapearing anti freeze and another with a oil leak from recent builds out of Holcomb's shop.

Users who are viewing this thread