Another 4r70w swap in progress on 03 Cobra

2quicksvt

Established Member
Here is the list I have put together that I will update as I go. Should be mostly all inclusive. Until the trans is sitting here, can't be sure. Obviously the trans & converter came out of a running 2000 Mustang, so I ASSUME the electronics, speedo, shift bracket, etc are all correct. Using toggle switches & relays, I plan to wire the trans brake to the coast button on the steering wheel & the line lock to the off button. OD with simply run off a toggle/relay. I already purchased some items like the Mach 1 brake pedal, shift bezel, & block plate.

A little surprising that beyond the trans & converter..........you still need to spend another $1000 in parts, give or take a couple hundred dollars with the pieces you choose. Once I finish going over all this, put in the order by eod on Friday. Most is coming from Summit. Oil is not even listed since I can get that locally, as well as wiring & other misc stuff I am sure to run into.

Flexplate 8-bolt PAX28111 $138
Driveshaft Yoke (1330 u joints) www.dennysdriveshaft.com (2-3-14061X) $70
B&M 70297 Cooler $260
SUM-220984 Hose 10ft (x2) $80
SUM-240114B -6 AN hose to ¼ npt male (x2) $30
Fragola 194568-BL -6 AN to ½ npt male (x2) $52
Derale Temp Gage13009 $50
ARP-254-2901 flex plate bolts $42
Pilot 3 toggle switch kit. $30
ARC-1440 4 relay kit $60
AAF-ALL34152 & AAF-ALL34153 O2 Bungs $18

Total $895

For Reference
ECM F5SB-14A624-----not needed
Trans Kickdown Cable Bracket XR3Z-7B229-AA ------not needed
Shift Interlock Cable F6ZZ-3F719-AC ----not needed
Plug for the Mechanical Speed Sensor F2UZ-7H183-A ----not needed
Digital Range Transmission Sensor F7LZ-7F293-AB. Also called shift position sensor-
make sure you get the kit with the spacers and bolts. -----not needed
99-04 GT 4R70W Transmission Wiring Harness 1R3Z-7C078-BA www.tascaparts.com $65 -----Bought from Torrance and saved $15, so now $50

Shifter Bezel 3R3Z-6304567-AAB ---- Bought it
Brake Pedal Assembly 3R3Z-2455-AA ---- Bought it
Automatic Block Plate ---- Bought it
Dipstick Tube XR3Z-7A228-BA ----with trans
Dipstick XR3Z-7A020-BA -----with trans
Speed Sensor 1L3Z-7H103-AB -----with trans
Shift Lever Stud E43Z-7B415-A -----with trans
Trans Shift Cable XR3Z-7E395-AA -----have hurst cable
Shifter Assembly 1R3Z-7210-AA -----have B&M
Transmission Crossmember and Isolator 2R3Z-6068-FJ -----Using T56 unit
Driveshaft Shop Fdsh14 Aluminum Driveshaft -------$405 (Summit) got one on Corral for $335 shipped

Looking to do this swap also, is this the complete list of parts that I would need to do the swap?

mhinchley

Established Member
Give or take............it is pretty close. I found this list online..........and I made some substitutes. If you have any ?'s just shoot me a PM. I am becoming an expert in this after going through it ...........lol. More than I anticipated. Seemed simple on paper. I have been sidetracked for other home & work projects.......and motivation has been a factor with winter at the threshold. Would have bolted trans in last night, but it fell and landed on my hand. Was too irritated and sore to continue. Try again tonight.

Last edited:

2quicksvt

Established Member
Give or take............it is pretty close. I found this list online..........and I made some substitutes. If you have any ?'s just shoot me a PM. I am becoming an expert in this after going through it ...........lol. More than I anticipated. Seemed simple on paper. I have been sidetracked for other home & work projects.......and motivation has been a factor with winter at the threshold. Would have bolted trans in last night, but it fell and landed on my hand. Was too irritated and sore to continue. Try again tonight.
Cool!! Ya I'll definitely PM you as I go, Just trying to get a idea on what parts I need to buy. An how much this whole conversion is going to cost. Let me know how it goes an if you taking pics cause I'll probably need them!!

mhinchley

Established Member
Sent you a PM. I got the trans bolted in rather easily after removing the passenger side header. I should have taken that header off to begin with, cuz things were smooth with it out of the way. Now just need to put in converter bolts, put header back on, and put everything else back together. I still need to tap the pan for temp sensor. Wanted to wait until trans was in, to be sure I put it in a place without interference. I need to install drive side bung for O2 as well, since it will hit trans where it is at. Looks like most the hard work is done though. As long as all my wiring is correct...........won't be long.

11-26 Not much progress. Snow hit and that got me sidetracked on other projects now since test drive cannot take place until spring. Hope to get back on it soon. Just a few hours of work needed to wrap it up.

Last edited:

DeMartino17

Established Member
Do you by chance have a diagram of how you re-pinned the T56 harness to work with the 4R70 harness?

davidbettencour

Established Member
I just have to ask, are you able to run the long tube headers with that automatic transmission??? I want to swap in a 4R70W into my cobra and I have long tubes. Would love to know of any issues. Looks like it bolted right back in on the passenger side, is that correct?? Any problems after that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread