AmyB, I was wrong about the Shelby GT and here is why.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I did some soul searching about this car, I really did...and no I am not kidding. I see the need and always have but it wasn't until now that I really understood this car.

Shelby's even back in there time were not wildly flashy, and neither is this car. We have all gotten too wrapped up in the gone in 60 seconds look and forgotten about what a Shelby is and always has been. I stared at our little 66 GT350 for over an hour. I climbed through it and really looked it over. We are fortunate enough to have the best one and most correct as per Mr. Shelby himself and I am glad because it taught me alot about the current project.

Our 66 showed me that the formula you followed on the new Shelby GT is basicly the same as it was 40 years ago. Everything the GT350 had then the new GT has now.
I am guilty of wanting the car to be an animal that just wasn't what it was meant to be. It was meant to be a great driving well handling, fun car to own. The styling on the new SGT is perfect...it has a perfect blend of kick backs to the old 350's but also manages to through some nice new touches in. Of things I really like on the car is the shifter...that was a perfect choice. It's stance and overall look are another. I belive that once the car gets the CS6 hood that is on the GTH it will look just right. I love the hood pins and the tasteful touches spread through out.

This car will be a hit if people can buy it for around 30-32 Grand. I know it could sell for more and more than likely will, but I think that would be a perfect middle of the road price.

Looking to the future we see that better engines will soon be availible and with those I am sure there will be new upgrades availible to the Shelby GT.

I am glad to see that not only is Ford listening to the car buying public so is Shelby...I have waited a very long time to see new Shelby Mustangs on the roads and now they are here.

Here is to a Job well done, I am proud to know that you guys are back in the ballgame and in true Shelby fashion I know that the "there is no such thing as too much power" attitude will apply to all of their future endeavors.

So accept it, or hate it but this is my outlook on this car after much thought.
Amy I am glad to see you here getting in and mixing it up with this bunch...it takes big brass ones to earn the respect of the guys here because we expect so much from not only ourselve and each other but also our cars.

Thanks for taking the time,

Michael Whitten

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i think its a great looking car. i like the hood on the shelby gt a lot more than whats on the gt-h, but that is just personal opinion.

i am still trying to find out if one can order the shelby gt with the mustang gt options. the other day i saw a black sl55 with red interior. it looked awesome. the interior of that car sets it apart from everything else. can we order the red mustang gt interior on the black shelby gt?

kudos to shelby automotive!

chuckstang

Established Member
I like the hood on the shelby gt if the scoop was functional but I thought those days of fake scoops were gone :(
now all it does is add aero drag

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Well I'm seriously taking a hard look at this car. I've come to the realize that the GT500 is just too expensive for my budget. While this car isn't any where as fast as the GT500 it's still a good performer and can be made faster with additional performance parts from Shelby. I'd love to get the Shelby GT and put the FRPP/Whipple supercharger kit on it. 400 + Hp in a package that weighs 400 - 500 lbs lighter than the GT500. :burnout:

My only concern would be the craptastic internals vs the forged parts in the GT500.

Check out this vid on Insideline.com on the Shelby GT, that exhaust note is sick!!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=116496

cobra12003

Established Member
Whitten said:
I did some soul searching about this car, I really did...and no I am not kidding. I see the need and always have but it wasn't until now that I really understood this car.

Shelby's even back in there time were not wildly flashy, and neither is this car. We have all gotten too wrapped up in the gone in 60 seconds look and forgotten about what a Shelby is and always has been. I stared at our little 66 GT350 for over an hour. I climbed through it and really looked it over. We are fortunate enough to have the best one and most correct as per Mr. Shelby himself and I am glad because it taught me alot about the current project.

Our 66 showed me that the formula you followed on the new Shelby GT is basicly the same as it was 40 years ago. Everything the GT350 had then the new GT has now.
I am guilty of wanting the car to be an animal that just wasn't what it was meant to be. It was meant to be a great driving well handling, fun car to own. The styling on the new SGT is perfect...it has a perfect blend of kick backs to the old 350's but also manages to through some nice new touches in. Of things I really like on the car is the shifter...that was a perfect choice. It's stance and overall look are another. I belive that once the car gets the CS6 hood that is on the GTH it will look just right. I love the hood pins and the tasteful touches spread through out.

This car will be a hit if people can buy it for around 30-32 Grand. I know it could sell for more and more than likely will, but I think that would be a perfect middle of the road price.

Looking to the future we see that better engines will soon be availible and with those I am sure there will be new upgrades availible to the Shelby GT.

I am glad to see that not only is Ford listening to the car buying public so is Shelby...I have waited a very long time to see new Shelby Mustangs on the roads and now they are here.

Here is to a Job well done, I am proud to know that you guys are back in the ballgame and in true Shelby fashion I know that the "there is no such thing as too much power" attitude will apply to all of their future endeavors.

So accept it, or hate it but this is my outlook on this car after much thought.
Amy I am glad to see you here getting in and mixing it up with this bunch...it takes big brass ones to earn the respect of the guys here because we expect so much from not only ourselve and each other but also our cars.

Thanks for taking the time,

Michael Whitten
YO, wake up

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I bought my current car and put a cat back and intake on it for a total of $31,250. I have right around 460BHP. I expect alot for 32k. If it's not pushing 450BHP then it better weight 3200LBs. JMO.

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
i like the shelby GT as well, just wish it had the hood thats on the hertz model and it would be perfect IMO.

eci

Banned
PowerWheels said:
I bought my current car and put a cat back and intake on it for a total of $31,250. I have right around 460BHP. I expect alot for 32k. If it's not pushing 450BHP then it better weight 3200LBs. JMO.

With that attitude, just spend $15k for a 5.0 including car and make 500BHP. You got ripped off.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
JiggaStyles09 said:
i like the shelby GT as well, just wish it had the hood thats on the hertz model and it would be perfect IMO.

i have heard the hertz hood will be a shelby option.

also i have heard that the shelby gt hood will come with a template, so that the owner can create a functional hood if he or she chooses to do so. if i happen to get one this will be the route i will go. a functional shelby gt hood for my black and silver shelby gt with red interior.:D :beer:

Ryan02Stang

Established Member
PowerWheels said:
Boy did you get ripped!! I spent $15k on a slightly used '02 GT. Approx $4k in mods...and make around 450BHP. AND mine weighs about 3200lbs.

How many times do people on this forum have to say it? There is more to a car than just its horsepower and weight.

chuckstang

Established Member
PowerWheels said:

Ya, you have the right idea
I agree with all you say
:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
PowerWheels said:

I could spend less money on a car that had more power and weighed less than your car. It would own your car in a heartbeat. :read:

Translated that equates to me spending less on a car that made more power than your car and would kill it. But it would mean nothing to me if I didn't enjoy owning and driving the car. :fart:

There is a lot more to car ownership than who's ass you can kick! :idea:

Carry on Gentlemen! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

stang22

Established Member
03Terminator said:
Well I'm seriously taking a hard look at this car. I've come to the realize that the GT500 is just too expensive for my budget. While this car isn't any where as fast as the GT500 it's still a good performer and can be made faster with additional performance parts from Shelby. I'd love to get the Shelby GT and put the FRPP/Whipple supercharger kit on it. 400 + Hp in a package that weighs 400 - 500 lbs lighter than the GT500. :burnout:

My only concern would be the craptastic internals vs the forged parts in the GT500.

Check out this vid on Insideline.com on the Shelby GT, that exhaust note is sick!!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=116496
I agree, but don't forget it'll be somewhat heavier too if you add on the s/c kit,etc. So I don't think it'll be 400-500 pounds lighter anymore!;-)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the look of the shelby gt is awesome. i think the main dissapointment with the car(the main dissapointment with ford and the mustang gt) is that within 1-2 years all of the competitors will have base v8 models in the 400hp range.

while we are lucky that ford can still turn a profit with the mustang and that there are many mustang tuners around the nation, the base complaint has been not enough power per competitor with our mustang gt.

2001 model year looked like this:
z28/firebird v8 - 320 vs mustang gt - 260
ss/trans am ws6 - 345 vs mustang svt - 320

with the challenger sporting 425hp hemi, and the camaro base v8 also specked to hit 425hp we all were hoping that ford would be prepped to compete with the competitors before they hit showrooms.:idea:

the shelby gt is a great car per price point and has a lot more performance than raw power. just dont expect it to compete with the new cars on the horizon.:beer: we will leave that to the boss and the shelby gt350.:lol:

Last edited:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
while we are lucky that ford can still turn a profit with the mustang and that there are many mustang tuners around the nation

the shelby gt is a great car per price point and has a lot more performance than raw power. just dont expect it to compete with the new cars on the horizon.:beer: we will leave that to the boss and the shelby gt350.:lol:
Yup. Gotta leave room for growth. Makes you kinda wish the competition was here already. I also wonder just how big this market will eventually be. Looks like Ford is carpet bombing that potential customer pool right now. I also wonder what the blurred car was behind Amy in the Bold Moves 9 video...:coolman: Cobra?

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE ORIGINAL POSTER (WHITTEN) The new Shelby Gt is todays version of the 65-66 version.It will serve it's purpose like the original model did to get more interest in the base model's.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
gonein60 said:
35k for 325HP, what a revolting development. I'll wait for the 425hp Dodge Challenger at the same price.

msrp on the top challenger will be $40k or more. sure you can get the 350hp hemi for 35k but that is not what you asked for.:bash:

your mistake was when you past on the 04 mustang svt for under 30k. sucks to be you.:poke:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread