Amsoil vs Royal Purple

StStang0702

SVT Poster
Established Member
hey guys, looking for your opinion, i have a 2007 mustang gt, with only exhaust intake and FRPP tune, i wanna do a full fluid swap (tranny, Rear end, Oil) i was thinking of Royal Purple or AMSOil, wondering if yall had any preferences or gripes with either, thanks

neo8222

Established Member
for about a year i used royal purple and i liked it, good oil. i tried amsoil last change and im sticking with it. used there filter too after about 3000 miles still looked like new in the engine and that royal purple was getting close to change time with the same miles.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I know a lot of people who love using amsoil in their cars...

I personally use Mobil1, but out of the two options, I'm going to have to say Amsoil strictly because of only hearing good things about it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ive always ran RP but may change to AMSoil. Need to do tranny and engine like this weekend or next, tranny is starting to get notchy at 120k, i doubt the fluids ever been touched (virgin dsm ftw!)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Amsoil Dominator or Redline are the only two oils that will ever go into my car..

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Personally I think the arguement over oils is way overblown. I've tried most of them and i've never noticed a difference.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
2 cars i've owned sprung oil leaks after switching to Royal Purple.

That's likely due to it cleaning out all the gunk that had been built up. Any high detergent oil (read synthetics) can do this.

Sorry to derail but what do you guys think of Lucas products?

I'm not a fan of some of them. I feel that the oil stabilizer is mostly just an oil thickener.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Any good quality will be good. That being said, I prefer RP for its insanely high film strength.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i liked ROP but i'm using mobil 1 now. this is gonna sound extremely retarded but do manual trannys have a way to drain the fluid? i only ask cause my bros friend owns a shop and he said that standards you can't change the tranny oil and that if you do its only during an overhaul. i know damn well mine hasn't been touched. benice...was serious question lol

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Amsoil hands down. My experience with there oils and filter is that they last so long, and very superior to other oils. All the products that the sell is just top grade stuff. I am about close to 4k on my oil, and it still hasn't fully broken down yet using there 5w30, it is still translucent gold/brownish color.

I am also running there heavy duty gear oil 75w90, since I got my rear end built up. It suppose to last to 500k on the fluid lol. They are just awesome.

AAG

Established Member
Mobil 1, its cheaper and easier to get than AMSOIL (and RP is over priced imo). If this was for a track car, then I'd probably go with AMSOIL

tj04cobra

Established Member
i liked ROP but i'm using mobil 1 now. this is gonna sound extremely retarded but do manual trannys have a way to drain the fluid? i only ask cause my bros friend owns a shop and he said that standards you can't change the tranny oil and that if you do its only during an overhaul. i know damn well mine hasn't been touched. benice...was serious question lol

you have a T-45 in your car? There is a drain plug on the bottom of that thing, as well as a fill plug above that. A quart of fluid can be a pita to get up into the fill plug so what I usually do is take the fill plug out and fill it from the shifter til it comes out the fill plug.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
you have a T-45 in your car? There is a drain plug on the bottom of that thing, as well as a fill plug above that. A quart of fluid can be a pita to get up into the fill plug so what I usually do is take the fill plug out and fill it from the shifter til it comes out the fill plug.

ya man, stock tranny. i had been wanting to change the fluid as it had never been done. i have the Chiltons repair manual but forgot about it because after the guy w/ the shop told me that i pretty much ignored it. might be doing it real soon though. might have to give you a call to figure out what you mean. what kind of fluid do you use and how much? i wanna do this soon, prolly next week :beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread