amsoil question

sonic cobra

Established Member
I think it is now $24. You can also get oil analysis through Amsoil that was a few dollars cheaper as I recall, but I prefer The personal comments from Blackstone as opposed to just the raw numbers I got from Amsoil.

liedenfrost

Established Member
0W30 or 5W30 but there's no reason to run the 20 weight.

Tight engine tolerances and better fuel economy were the reason for a 20W oil. Thicker oil does not move as quickly as the 20W and could provide less protection with such tight tolerances.

Generally, a 30W oil would be good for the older high performance cars...not a Cobra.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Tight engine tolerances and better fuel economy were the reason for a 20W oil. Thicker oil does not move as quickly as the 20W and could provide less protection with such tight tolerances..
There have been a few knowledgeable folks who have posted stating that there were no tolerance changes relating to Ford's swap to 20W oil but I once thought the same as you.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Tight engine tolerances and better fuel economy were the reason for a 20W oil. Thicker oil does not move as quickly as the 20W and could provide less protection with such tight tolerances.

Generally, a 30W oil would be good for the older high performance cars...not a Cobra.
Here's another one thrashed to death. If you were correct, there would be a lot of trashed engines in this forum because a lot of people are running 30W oil. When I first switched from stock 5W20, I had a noticiable ticking noise (no, it wasn't "The Tick", rather it sounded like lifter noise). As soon as my Amsoil 0W30 came up to full oil pressure, the engine quieted down. I have been using it for almost 20K miles and changing the oil every 12K miles, so if 30W was bad, I'd think that by now something would be wrong. Fortunately for me, it runs great. I'll know for absolutely, positively, no doubt in my mind when I pass 50K miles on this engine.

5W20 is mainly for fuel economy and emissions and is part of a trend in the auto industry. Please post up which tolerances are tighter between the 98 (which specified 5W30) and the 03. As far as I know, only the PTW clearance is different, but all bearings and rotating surfaces are the same.
:pop:

liedenfrost

Established Member
New tolerances started in 2001 according to Engineers at Ford. I don't know what the exact tolerances are. 30W oil is not going to destroy our engines. Lots of folks are using it. The question is which one is better? If we had tons of cars with 150000+ miles and did a study, we might find that a particular oil viscosity provides better protection and prolongs engine life.

liedenfrost

Established Member
My father and father-in-law both work there and told me about it. I was wondering why they started using 20W rather than 30W which was used for many years. I don't have documentation. I don't think anyone has a documentation that 30W oil is better either. No big deal. Folks can run they want in their cars. We won't really know which is better for several more years until guys get more miles on their cars and engines start wearing out.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Well I agree you usually run a heavier weight as the miles go up. But to tell me that 30 weight is going too be bad and not protect as well. Maybe on some regular oil, but like I said before I run the good stuff, Amsoil. In other words I got to believe that even if its remotely possible that 30 weight is bad, Amsoil is superior anyways. Just pouring that signature series in I can tell a big difference between regular oil. I was the first one to order the 0-30 signature series locally from a amsoil dealer, and when I went back a year later he now carries it in stock, and told me it is now his best seller now. Many people are paying 11 dollars a quart, and I gotta believe its for a reason.

liedenfrost

Established Member
Well I agree you usually run a heavier weight as the miles go up. But to tell me that 30 weight is going too be bad and not protect as well. Maybe on some regular oil, but like I said before I run the good stuff, Amsoil. In other words I got to believe that even if its remotely possible that 30 weight is bad, Amsoil is superior anyways. Just pouring that signature series in I can tell a big difference between regular oil. I was the first one to order the 0-30 signature series locally from a amsoil dealer, and when I went back a year later he now carries it in stock, and told me it is now his best seller now. Many people are paying 11 dollars a quart, and I gotta believe its for a reason.

I'm not telling you that 30W is going to be bad and not protect at all. Read my post above. I'm saying that one is most likely better than another and we will find out when these engines get some real wear on them...100K - 150K. We won't know for years.
I ran Amsoil 0W 30 for 5,000 miles when I first got my car. I think its a good product, but decided to switch to Mobile synthetic 5W20. I wish Amsoil had a 5W20, and I would start using it. There is a lot of BAD information floating around on the internet, including this site. I'm surprised at the number of individuals who think they know more about oil and lubrication systems than a team of trained Lubrication Engineers at a multibillion dollar corporation with a vested interest in preventing warranty claims and rebuilding their reputation as a quality manufacturer.:shrug:

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm surprised at the number of individuals who think they know more about oil and lubrication systems than a team of trained Lubrication Engineers at a multibillion dollar corporation with a vested interest in preventing warranty claims and rebuilding their reputation as a quality manufacturer.:shrug:
Well yeah... but you're talking about the engineers at Ford, right? :lol1:

I mean I see your point, but a huge company like Ford has a lot of factors to balance when making any kind of decision, many of which are not an issue to us. We just want the best performance possible. It is logical to assume that fuel economy was weighed heavily in this decision.

black 10th vert

Established Member
This may be a dumb question, but what exactly makes Amsoil superior to Mobil 1? I've never used Amsoil, mainly because none of the parts places that I frequent carry it.

Users who are viewing this thread