amsoil question

kingjoey

Boost is in my blood
Established Member
I'm about ot change the oil in my cobra, I'm using Mobil 1 5w-30 but want to change to Amsoil. Is there any difference between amsoils 5w-20 and 5w-30, which one is better for my cobra with this Texas heat?

Thanks
- Joe

5W-20 was recommended as part of Ford's efforts to meet CAFE standards. 0w-30 and 5w-30 oils have done well in these motors. If you want to settle the debate then you'll need to run each type of oil and then do a used oil analysis. That will get you an answer that you'll be satisfied with because otherwise you'll get a lot of conjecture on this topic that will make your head spin.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Amsoil is a good choice, I've been using their 0W30 for 5 years and the oil anayses have been perfect.
Of course you don't need the 0 weight, but I went with 30 weight. the 20 wt was used just to make CAFE requirements and especially with the motor well worn in. a 30 weight would
offer just that little extra protection in my opinion

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I went with the 30 also Amsoil 0-30 signature series.
And thier EA air n oil filter.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Almost forgot, the first weight is when the oil is cold, so zero get up and around the motor faster when cold, the second 30 is when the oil is at normal operating temp. Your call though.

The consensus you will find is Amsoil 0w-30 is the best to use in these cars.

Saying there's a consensus on oil for these cars is like saying there's a consensus among scientists regarding global warming. There are many fine motor oils. German Castrol 0w-30 being one of the superior ones. Amsoil makes bold claims but no one on this site has produced any used oil analysis using Amsoil to compare to my analysis with German Castrol.

ShelbyGuy has provided used oil analysis using Mobil 1 5w-20. So how about you put up or...

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I am using the 0w-30 SSO and the EAO filter, every UOA I have seen on this oil had been very good.

SpectorV

Established Member
is the filter they sell compatible as in the drain back or what ever is is that the ford oil filter has and others do not?

kingjoey

Boost is in my blood
Established Member
Thanks guys for the answers, I'll keep it in mind and start using amsoil 0w-30 on my next oil change. I had to go with mobil1 again as I couldn't find enough of the amsoil around this area.

Users who are viewing this thread