AMSOIL or Mobil 1

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Ashentep
I use Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic and the standard Motorcraft oil filter.

I'm with you, Ashentep

PS :bash: This will get interesting. ;)

viperr1

Established Member
Same here Mobil 1 5w-30, and Motorcraft filters.

2001 Performance Red Coupe
Kenny Brown Conv.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
thats really wierd i was gonna post this exact same thread its gettin bout time for me to switch to synthetics and i dont know which one to choose? Someone/somewhere posted not to long ago a viscosity chart between the two and amsoil (if i remember correctly) was alot better but i cant find the link. I dont understand how that can be though, Porsche uses mobil 1 in their cars and they dont recomend oil changes until 15,000 miles.(thats what i heard) so i dont know if its true.

Mike

Vinnie T

Established Member
I don't think you can go wrong with either oil. The 5W-20 seems a little thin in hotter climates, but I'm guessing a synthetic could stand up better than plain dino oil under those circumstances. I'm sticking with 5W-30.
As far as filters, anything but Fram (and the other brands that are a rebadged Frams)! The Motorcraft is basically a Purolator Pure One, and you can buy them at a great price.

Last edited:

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
whats wrong with fram oil filters. I used to use them all the time on my v6 I run mobile 1 because simply thats what Jackie Cooper tires puts in it.

Vinnie T

Established Member
Originally posted by trplblacksnake
whats wrong with fram oil filters. I used to use them all the time on my v6 I run mobile 1 because simply thats what Jackie Cooper tires puts in it.

When I get some time to look, I'll post at least one website where they have done comparison tests of most of the common filters. There are several, and the common conclusion among them all is that the Frams are the least effective and poorest constructed of all of the filters. The one exception is the model that comes in the grey canister with the silicone gasket (Duraguard or Toughguard?). Otherwise, what they found when opening the common orange Fram filters was the least amount of filter media/paper of any of the filters, and cardboard endplates that leak. They not only recycle some of the dirty stuff back into your oil, but also bleed out some of the oil when the engine is off causing the pressure to have to rebuild on startup. The rest use more filter media, metal endplates, and in some cases, thicker-walled canisters. Fram has become more of a name than a quality filter.

Vinnie T

Established Member
Originally posted by sid297
This is the study that says Fram is bad:

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Thanks for posting that Sid. That was one of 2 tests that I was thinking of. I found the URL for the other test on my old PC, but it is no longer posted at that web address. Still, this one makes for some interesting reading and conclusions about filters.

Last edited:

SVTman74

stupid people make me mad
Established Member
I just changed my oil for the first time today.. at 15472 ...I bought it at 12500 :) The dealer did the last change with all motocraft stuff 5w20 so I stuck with motocraft HIPO synth 5w20 and a mobil1 filter, I did use a fram with eazy off grip filter for the explorer though. alsot heexplorer got the sam brand oil except it was 5 w30 and the exploder took 5 quarts and the cobra took 6 quarts. I like where the filter is located for the explorer makes pre filling the filter easier, unlike the snake where it is sideways, so I didnt fill the filter.

Users who are viewing this thread