Amp+Sub........INSTALLATION

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
MACA

I want to keep the stock headunit in place...not that I am trying to be cheap or whatever but I like the stock headunit, and the sound of the stock speakers, just want a little bit more bass. SO - I am having a local shop install an amp and sub with using a line output converter. Has anyone done this, how does it sound?

Like I said, I don't want mind blowing bass, just a little more punch thats deep, crisp and clear.
Suggestions por favor?! Thanks in advance!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Eh, it'll probably be alright. I take it you are loosing one of your rear speakers int he process? Line inputs are never as clean as Coax, but given that the mach 460 sounds decient stock, you'll probably be satisfied with it.

TRBO VNM

I did the reverse at first. replaced the headunit and had to use a special convertor for that to get the amps to work. I did what you are trying to do in my svt focus and it sounded great. not sure about these cars. what stuff did you go with?

TRBO VNM

FISHTAIL said:
Eh, it'll probably be alright. I take it you are loosing one of your rear speakers int he process? Line inputs are never as clean as Coax, but given that the mach 460 sounds decient stock, you'll probably be satisfied with it.

shouldn't. all you are doing is tapping off of one for signal and can still use the speaker. only problem might be the signal is amplified, so the shop might have to use some additional stuff to make it work. I forgot all that stuff.

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
FISHTAIL said:

Well, I certainly do not want to loose any of my speakers...why would I????

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
WUTWINE said:
I did the reverse at first. replaced the headunit and had to use a special convertor for that to get the amps to work. I did what you are trying to do in my svt focus and it sounded great. not sure about these cars. what stuff did you go with?

Kicker 1200.1 amp and Kicker Solo baric 15".

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Having done this before they should be able to tap the line upstream of the factory amp. This should not be an issue.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
As a precaution I will make sure I add a strong battery and very well laid out electrical connection you dont want to draw too much voltage everything on this car have to do with electricity. You are doing the right thing if the shop is up to snuff with electrical connection.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Had this in my 97 GT with mach 460. I didn't lose my rear speaker(s), and the sound was fine (it is just bass). I think the signal to my amp was amplified, but if I wasn't so lazy I think I could have put it on the other side of the amp so it wasn't amplified :shrug: It worked fine even being amplified, you just couldn't turn the gain/bass settings on the amp up much.

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
Thats the reason why I want to get a capacitor so that the amp isn't draining the batteries/alternator power.

But thanks everyone for your suggestions and all. I am also doing the iPod install using the NEO iON.

verbal

Established Member
I have added an amp and sub to a stock system before and it sounded fine. If you are just going to do this you should not need a very expensive converter. It will look like a wire connected to a set of preouts and probably cost about $15. All you are doing is tapping into the the signal. You will not loose any speakers.
If you plan on adding speakers and amps down the road I would go with a unit like the JL Audio Clean Sweep. You will get much better sound out of a unit like this. This will eliminate any equalization settings that the stock headunit is sending out.

Users who are viewing this thread