Amp/sound processor install...

tyndallcbr

Established Member
Nicely done! I have a spare still and my amp wouldn't fit. How do you like that 13? is it a W3 or W6?
BTW, I was stationed at Tyndall for 5 years. Is Powerhouse dragway still open or do you have to go to Holt over towards Eglin?
The JL Stealthbox is great. It is the 13W3v3. Powerhouse is now called Breakaway...

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Hard part is over. I have a left and right + and - in (to amp) and left and right + and - out (to speaker) wired in, underneath the passenger front seat. These are from the front speakers.
Found some very convenient places to splice these wires. Also ran the power cable from the battery into the cockpit via the hood release cable grommet.
The LC2i and the amplifier should fit under the passenger seat. Pretty excited about this because it is easy to expose them by sliding the seat all the way forward and they are easily hidden by sliding the passenger seat back. Will have some good pics when she is all finished either tomorrow or Wednesday
I have always used screws and a drill to mount amps and other stereo hardware to the interior. Are there any better methods? I'm always nervous drilling into the floor of my vehicles.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Established Member
Industrial strength velcro?

Yes! lol

I guess it was a bit of a stupid question.

I am just curious though. Still trying to get caught up with all of the new stuff on the market. There's a lot of very creative people out there with different and innovative ways to do things. I am always open to suggestions and ideas on how to make things work.

Nuar

Established Member
Thats how I mounted my dual 12" sub box in my beater explorer. Once its in there it actually takes a bit of effort to remove, so I am sure an amp would stay put :)
I just stapled the coarse side of the velcro strips to the bottom of my sub box and it grips onto the car's carpet.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Established Member
So I am going to tap +12v from the amplifiers power cable to the lc2i, ground under seat for both the amp and lc2i, run remote out from lc2i to amp. Sound about right?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Unless you're looking to show off the equipment you could also mount the amps/converter/etc. up on the backside of the deck. There is room in the middle and on either side of the speakers for a reasonable amount of equipment. Just cut out a small piece of 1/2 wood or similar as a mount/shelf for each area.
I mounted the door sub amp up on the right side and my crossover & preamp in the middle. If the amp gets super hot (like some of the HiFonics I've seen) then this might not be the best place but I haven't had any issues with JL stuff.

AmpMount_zpsf28adbdf.jpg

Tispho

Established Member
Unless you're looking to show off the equipment you could also mount the amps/converter/etc. up on the backside of the deck. There is room in the middle and on either side of the speakers for a reasonable amount of equipment. Just cut out a small piece of 1/2 wood or similar as a mount/shelf for each area.
I mounted the door sub amp up on the right side and my crossover & preamp in the middle. If the amp gets super hot (like some of the HiFonics I've seen) then this might not be the best place but I haven't had any issues with JL stuff.

I actually like the functionality of where I placed my amp and lc2i. When you adjust it you can just sit in the seat with a screw driver without being in a bunch of awkward positions. And trouble shooting (blown fuses, grounding issues, RF interference, other wiring technical difficulties) is a lot less frustrating when its easily accessible.

There was no intention for them to be aesthetically pleasing to look at, you can't even see them when the trunk is open because they are so far back.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Just finished everything up this afternoon. Install came out great. Have a bit of a wire mess to sort out but I will deal with that later. It sounds great! These Kenwoods pick up the mid's and the high's pretty good and they get LOUD and stay clear. Tuning the amp only took a few minutes. I had to decide how I wanted to adjust the LC2i to make it sounds the best with the amp but I found a spot to where I am happy. Next up is a 12" sub...

IMAG0169_zps3da05c36.gif

IMAG0170_zps75096495.gif

I have only had one or two backseat passengers since I have owned the car, so I should have no issues with the mounting location. Even then, it is out of the way. Enjoy!

ccd_1606

Established Member
I should have taken a picture of mine behind the radio. I made a custom t harness with 2 hi power line out converters and then on the other side I used 9 conductor speed wire to get the power to my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread