Amp draw while turned off

Beercules

Established Member
Anyone know what the amp draw should be when sitting around in the garage? I'm tracking down why my battery runs down in a couple days.

The battery checks out good. It's currently pulling 0.5 amp constant.

I've added a couple things I've been double-checking. I realized I hooked a couple things up to non-switched power and changed (I guess solid state can pull minute power when turned off). Upgraded I/C fans are the only things I haven't switched yet, but I never had issues with them in the past.

I did just move the battery to the rear, but there's no continuity with the body when disconnected...or should I use a Megohm meter?

Thanks

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Half an amp seems pretty high. It wouldn't take long to kill a battery like that.

On a related note, I had a 2016 Expedition rental recently and it appears to have a factory current draw sensor on it. I'd never noticed that on any other car before.

Beercules

Established Member
So far it looks like something on the internal fuse box. That underhood fuse is pulling most of the .5 amps. The rest is probably just memory.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Mine does the same thing and I haven't been able to track it down yet. Even Ford said they couldn't find the issue. It's intermittent and annoying.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Half an amp seems pretty high. It wouldn't take long to kill a battery like that.

On a related note, I had a 2016 Expedition rental recently and it appears to have a factory current draw sensor on it. I'd never noticed that on any other car before.

This is from the 2013-14 Mustang Owners Manual.
Battery Saver
The battery saver will shut off the interior lamps 10 minutes after the ignition has been turned to the off position and a door is left open, and in 30 minutes if the dome lamp control is left on and the ignition hasbeen turned to the off position. The battery saver will also shut off the trunk lamps in 30 minutes if the trunk is left open.

I just looked at the 2007-2014 Mustang Owners Manuals and the Battery Saver feature is mentioned in all the manuals.

From the 2007 Mustang Owners Manual.

The battery saver will shut off the interior lamps 10 minutes after the ignition has been turned to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position and a door is left open, and in 30 minutes if the dome lamp control is left on and the ignition has been turned to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position. The battery saver will also shut off the trunk lamps in 30 minutes if the trunk is left
open

Last edited:

RL1286

Established Member
So far it looks like something on the internal fuse box. That underhood fuse is pulling most of the .5 amps. The rest is probably just memory.

When checking for a draw you need to let the meter hooked up for 30 min - 45min. This will let modules to go to sleep. It is not uncommon to see 200-300ma which is .2-.3 amps for the first 30 min. Most cars are ok below .030ma - .050ma. Also any switches hood, trunk, door that are open or key in cylinder, will most likely keep modules from going to sleep even if battery saver turns lamps off.

Users who are viewing this thread