American Muscle Pre-Painted Parts

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Whats going on guys. Wanted to see has anyone on here purchased pre-painted parts through AM, if so how did the paint match? I just bought a GT500 spoiler for my car and the paint quality is great but I think they painted it Ruby Red instead of Red Candy. I didnt catch this until I installed it on the car, if you get the right angles it looks close but under most angles the spoiler is definitely darker. My car is 4 years old but only has 8k miles on it and lives inside, could my paint have faded this bad? Im pretty anal with my cars and try to keep them looking pristine.

I sent them an email but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them and how it matched. Check out these pics and let me know what you guys think? Different color paint, my paint faded, or im just being to damn picky?

I feel like a jackass because the spoiler came last week on trash day so after inspecting it away from the car and everything looked great I tossed the box.........:(. I have dealt with their customer service in the past and had great experiences so hopefully everything goes good.

IMG_20170610_130603782_HDR_zpsxeudrbhy.jpg

IMG_20170611_190324713_zps3jfstyhy.jpg

Myusername

Established Member
My coworker had same wing same color as you. Same problem too. Under certain light or angle it's really noticeable other times it's not.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
From the pics I can definitely see a difference in the two colors and sadly they're not even close to matching. Like you said OP American Muscle has very good customer service so hopefully they can help you out. Keep us posted.

Rosco3

Established Member
I'm colorblind with certain shades and colors and I can tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I have ended up returning every preprinted part I've had from them. As I understand it there's two problems, one is that most color codes have several variations - in my case code UJ has about a dozen variations along the red - blue spectrum. Second is they use a different manufacturer for the paint than ford does. Quality has been hit or miss.

That said every preprinted part I e gotten from JLT has been absolutely spot on color match.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
It does look different and I'm not surprised. It's obvious they aren't using Ford Paint. Cletis and Klem, over at the after market paint supply, are mixing up a batch of pot luck.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Definitely doesn't match. Call AM and find out what specific paint they used. Paint the rest of the car and you should be good to go.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I can also add that Red Candy is a very hard color to match. Without having your car in the shop and color gunning it I doubt any painter could nail it perfectly.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I can also add that Red Candy is a very hard color to match. Without having your car in the shop and color gunning it I doubt any painter could nail it perfectly.

and this right here is why I have never bothered with pre-painted parts. Atmospheric conditions, difference in paint guns can impact the way paint is laid down, even if Ford was doing these parts there could be slight variations.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
and this right here is why I have never bothered with pre-painted parts. Atmospheric conditions, difference in paint guns can impact the way paint is laid down, even if Ford was doing these parts there could be slight variations.

True. Don't look too closely at the bumpers compared to the fenders on a Mustang.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies, I never realized matching paint was that hard to do. After reading all of the replies Id say there is a good chance I am going to have to take it to a local body shop and see what they can do. Ill chalk this up as a Lesson Learned and not buy any pre painted parts in the future.

I will update this thread once I receive a response from AM.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
True. Don't look too closely at the bumpers compared to the fenders on a Mustang.
This. My painter told me plastic bits take paint differently that metal, thus the difference in colors. And also some bumper covers are painted at a different facility.
When my Shelby was painted he played with shades to make it match. It's Performance White & the bumper/fender match from the factory was way off.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your issues OP. Paint can be hard to match without having the car and parts in the paint shop together. The AM reps on facebook and on SVTP are pretty good about resolving issues.

@AMAlexLazarus

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This. My painter told me plastic bits take paint differently that metal, thus the difference in colors. And also some bumper covers are painted at a different facility.
When my Shelby was painted he played with shades to make it match. It's Performance White & the bumper/fender match from the factory was way off.

It's especially noticeable with light colors because the base plastic parts are usually black. Yellow can be really tough to match.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
American Muscle sent a new one out with no questions, great company to deal with. As expected the one they sent looks the same, I expected it but thought I would give it a shot anyways. When the car is out in the sun its not nearly as bad, when its out of the sun is when it stands out.

I was going to get AM to send an unpainted one and I was going to have a local shop spray it. I took my car by a couple of body shops and they mentioned they could not get the paint to match perfect so I decided against that.

Ah well, time to stop worrying about the paint matching and save up for a blower :). Once the car is fast enough you wont even be able to see the spoiler.... thanks guys.

Leonard

Users who are viewing this thread