Amazon Racing Shocks

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Every day there are questions about wheel hop and how to fix it. There has been many ideas in this area, so I thought I would try my 2 cents once again. When I first started at the track I did pretty much like eveyone else, except that I had to go back to the dealer after a wheel hop episode. The dealer had to replace the whole rear end, and I was off to find a cure. At the time my 60's were like most 2.0-2.2 with that all to familer wheel hop creeping in there. I made 2 changes, (1) I lowered the Cobra,(2) I put on the AZR shock kit. My wheel hop is gone......if it's still there I can't find it, and my 60's have dropped to 1.80 on the same tires. So I know there will be a little flaming going on and this is OK, but understand that this product does the job. I hope to never find wheel hop again, and with the AZR kit I don't think I will. If any more info is needed off line.....PM or Email me:beer:

Last edited:

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Lowering

How did you lower your car? I have the Amazon Shock Kit, but still have some hop, but very little.I'd like to eliminate that also.BTW I'm completely stock engine wise.
Thanks, Guy

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
They also have a lowering kit, I think it is stage 1. I had already lowered mine just prior to the kit coming out. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by chillfactor
Every day there are questions about wheel hop and how to fix it. There has been many ideas in this area, so I thought I would try my 2 cents once again. When I first started at the track I did pretty much like eveyone else, except that I had to go back to the dealer after a wheel hop episode. The dealer had to replace the whole rear end, and I was off to find a cure. At the time my 60's were like most 2.0-2.2 with that all to familer wheel hop creeping in there. I made 2 changes, (1) I lowered the Cobra,(2) I put on the AZR shock kit. My wheel hop is gone......if it's still there I can't find it, and my 60's have dropped to 1.80 on the same tires. So I know there will be a little flaming going on and this is OK, but understand that this product does the job. I hope to never find wheel hop again, and with the AZR kit I don't think I will. If any more info is needed off line.....PM or Email me:beer:

Was it a combination of the shocks and springs from AR that eliminated the bunny hop or just the shocks?

I am also on a mission to eliminate this issue when tax return comes.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
I feel that the shocks completed what was needed to get rid of it. I still had hop with the Cobra lowered, but after the shocks it went bye bye. I am sure there are lots of ways to fix the hop, but this seems to be the easiest way to do it. Some guys are doing bushings and I think that is great, but the time and work required is alot. I don't have the time, and don't want to pay the Mec. all the money to put them in. So the shock is my story and I' m sticking to it.............

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by chillfactor
I feel that the shocks completed what was needed to get rid of it. I still had hop with the Cobra lowered, but after the shocks it went bye bye. I am sure there are lots of ways to fix the hop, but this seems to be the easiest way to do it. Some guys are doing bushings and I think that is great, but the time and work required is alot. I don't have the time, and don't want to pay the Mec. all the money to put them in. So the shock is my story and I' m sticking to it.............

Sounds good .... what setting do you have the shocks set on?

03DOHC

Established Member
I have mine on the full stiff setting and they reduced my wheelhop. I don't worry as much about my halfshafts since I installed them.

OverToad

Established Member
I've the same kit. I'll add a little that may be useful to some.

Mine actually didn't come fully stiffened. One was about 1/2 way while the other was 3/4. If you crank these springs all the way to full, you will get a harsher ride, but it really keeps the wheels on the ground and increases traction, ala very little wheel hop.

Now for everyday use, I have them turned back to about 80%. This setting makes the ride feel nearly stock, but you lose a little of benefit. On full stiffness, the car hooks alot quicker. On the 80% setting, I can spin the shit out of my wheels, though it doesn't hop as bad as it did stock.

I'm strongly thinking of going with Rick's lowering kit. Anyone have an idea what it costs in labor to do springs and CC plates?

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I am gonna pair the AZR shock kit w/ the MM bushings...I think for about $500 its worth a try.....I will also know after Uncle Sam gives me my $$$ back....

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
The lowering kits are all about the same.....just a small difference in price, so I don't think it matters much which one you use. However if you are buying the shocks why not just buy the whole kit from AZR.

raiders03

Banned
chillfactor
Do you actually get less tire spin from the kit or the same tire spin just no hopping???

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr
I am gonna pair the AZR shock kit w/ the MM bushings...I think for about $500 its worth a try.....I will also know after Uncle Sam gives me my $$$ back....

I don't feel I shpuld take on the bushings so when it's time which is coming up fast I may just set and appointment and drive up to MD to see Rick@AZ and have him install the shocks and the bushings at one time.
I really do not want to lower the car unless it helps with hippity hop. It is hard enough not scraping the front chin now.

I want to fix this before ordering slicks/wheels.

I will not return to a drag strip until this is fixed, I do not want to blow a rear end.

Maybe I'm to anal???

:rollseyes

raiders03

Banned
chillfactor
I ask because I've heard different things about what shocks and springs actually do. I've heard you get less tire spin from one person and I've heard you get the same spin just no wheel hop because it acts like a live axle. I was hoping I could just do suspension upgrades like yours and keep the 9 inch wide rims and eliminate a lot of the tire spin. I miss being able to use first gear.

raiders03

Banned
chillfactor
P.S. Are those 18X9 cobra R rims you have? If so I have the same exact ones. What type of rubber do you have on them.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Those are 17/10.5 AFS rims and I use Nitto street tires because I have not made bolt change for the 315 Drags yet. I also think that I can still get better 60s if I practice more with these street tires.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
chillfactor - I'm also thinking of going this route. Did you do anything to address the bump steer problem after lowering your car? Something like what Steeda offers?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread