Am I nuts?

Willie

Established Member
I bought my 2008 new in Nov 2007 in Fresno, Ca. In 2010, my daughter wanted me to teach her how to drive and she wanted to learn a stick. I asked her if she was okay if I taught her in the Shelby, that she would be one of very few people that can say she learned to drive in a GT500. So be it..!

Fast forward to Dec 2015. I went on a drive to my machine shop with my Siberian husky, Maiya. I had Maiya, the best dog I've ever had for only 2-1/2 years when she was misdiagnosed and succumbed to cancer. She was ALWAYS at my side, wherever I went.

Sorry, back to my drive. It was a clear, dry, 60 degree day. On my way home, I was getting on I-10 with three slow drivers in front of me. There was no traffic to merge with and I was a little frustrated at how slow these guys were going. swung wide to pass these guys, but gave it more gas than I should have, fishtailed, lost control and went into a 360 spin. I was going about 70 mph. I ended up stopped by a few Palo Verde trees in the dirt median. The damage was extensive, but fortunately all cosmetic. The repair by Ford took three months and came it out beautiful, but I was just not comfortable knowing the car's value took a hit. So I started window shopping.

I found an identical twin in Alabama. I asked the seller if he had an SVT certificate, which he did. I was curious what the build date was, to compare to mine. When he told me, I could not believe it. It was my birthday. This basically sealed the deal. I owned both for a short time and when I spoke of one of them, there was always confusion which one I was talking about, so I simply started calling them "#1" and "#2".

In 2016, I offered to "sell" #1 to my daughter thinking she might want the car she learned to drive in, but she said it was too much car for her. I then offered it to Dustin, my mechanic friend, who built my motor only 10k miles before. He knew #1 like the back of his hand and really wanted it, but his wife was expecting with their first child, so the timing was not right. I eventually sold it to a guy in Oklahoma.

Now with only #2 in my garage, I had to somehow pay tribute to Maiya for being with me on that fateful day, so I did something I've never done before, name #2>>

28896z.jpg

Fast forward to present day. About one month ago, I discovered unintentionally that #1 was for sale. I told Dustin about it. Just yesterday, he flew to Oklahoma and bought it. He's one happy camper. He should be home today. I made just one request to him. In five or ten or fifteen years from now, it doesn't matter, when he's done playing with it, to give me right of first refusal. I want #1 back, regardless of age, condition, mileage, etc. because I want to preserve it for my daughter. I know that one day years from now when I'm gone, she can look at that car and say it was her first.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you feel the history is worth it too you. Then by all means buy it back years down the road.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a hellcat "for my wife." She did not drive it once and rode in it maybe 5 times. It was still a wise purchase.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
She really might not want it, but it sounds like you have a strong bond to #1. Even if you never end up buying it, both you and your daughter will always have strong and fond memories of it.

Willie

Established Member
Your daughter obviously doesn't want the car, my guess is you can't stand not having it. So yeah, you're nuts.
Thought so. Some cars become attached for sentimental reasons. This is one.

She has always been more mature than her age. I like to say she has an old soul. She's 27 now and lives in Seattle and when I asked her if she wanted it, she said not with the weather they have there. Who can argue with pure logic?
If you feel the history is worth it too you. Then by all means buy it back years down the road.
Time will tell.
Buy it!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
If the timing is right. But #2 is my car now. I do not have space, nor need another now. We shall see. I told Dustin that I'm still going to call his car #1, lol.
I bought a hellcat "for my wife." She did not drive it once and rode in it maybe 5 times. It was still a wise purchase.
I can relate. My wife refuses to get in the GT500. Probably for similar reasons.
She really might not want it, but it sounds like you have a strong bond to #1. Even if you never end up buying it, both you and your daughter will always have strong and fond memories of it.
I have many memories with #1. And to know my friend now owns it is comforting in a strange way.

HKusp

Established Member
We're ALL kind of nuts. It's fine. Maybe your daughter will bless you with a grandson or granddaughter that will want it some day. Sometimes "it" skips a generation... ;)

68gtscode

Established Member
You may be nuts or at least very sentimental. I am too when it comes to cars. One thing is for certain- you have a set of original KR wheels waiting for it :)

Users who are viewing this thread