Am I crazy??

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
You are not crazy. I enjoyed driving my 04 Cobra way more than my GT500. All of my friends, coworkers, and family members also liked the 04 Cobra more. This forum is one of the only places that will disagree and say it is a step backwards and a dumb decision going back to a Cobra. To me driving is about the experience as a whole and I must say that the 03-04 Cobra is a way better experience/more fun to drive. Even a bunch of magazines said that the GT500 feels too disconnected. Actually most newer cars feel numb and disconnected.

BigBlueOval

Established Member
Of course! I miss both my Terminators, I miss every car I used to own! especially when I see a similar car pass the other way. Every car was faster, better looking, handled better, did not break half shafts, was utterly reliable and the wife absolutely LOVED the constant flow of cash I put into each and every car!
Now I have this dumb 'ole 13 GT 500. (sarcasm deeply implied)

Kapy

Established Member
Had a 01 GT. Awesome car and I do miss it. Maybe if I would have had a Termi Cobra I would have felt different. However you have to be almost crazy not to think this car is so much better. I am completely happy with my 13 and unless Ford comes out with a 700HP plus 2017 GT500, I have no reason to get rid of mine right now. LUV, LUV, LUV it! That is of course unless somebody wants to throw 70k at me?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Another factor to consider is what people use their car for. I autocrossed, drag raced, and ran my '03 at road course events. I do the same with my '13. Perhaps that's why I see such a wide difference in performance and ability between the two. If all I did was drive to work in it I probably would't notice the massive difference. The '03 just doesn't function on the same level.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Another factor to consider is what people use their car for. I autocrossed, drag raced, and ran my '03 at road course events. I do the same with my '13. Perhaps that's why I see such a wide difference in performance and ability between the two. If all I did was drive to work in it I probably would't notice the massive difference. The '03 just doesn't function on the same level.

If both cars are stock I would agree.

Once you start modding them all bets are off.

SlowSVT

Established Member
How so? What experience are you pulling this perspective from?

Maybe you've done something with your '03 I haven't experienced yet.
........... that is an understatement! (work in progress)

People have modded old fox Mustangs that will outperform both which is what I was getting at in the first place.

The GT500 is not without it's flaws just like the Terminator or any other car for that matter.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I think you're nuts. I had a mint 11k mile Terminator dropped on CCWs that I sold for my 2014, and I haven't thought about that thing since the day it left. My brother recently bought a whippled torch red 04 and not only do I drag his ass, when I drive it I feel like I'm in a ragged out fox body. I hate those cars and don't know how I ever owned one, let alone two. I'll never go back.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
........... that is an understatement! (work in progress)

People have modded old fox Mustangs that will outperform both which is what I was getting at in the first place.

The GT500 is not without it's flaws just like the Terminator or any other car for that matter.

Lol, I'm not going to even get into that ancient silly debate. I had no idea you were thinking along those lines. I'd like to know what you can do to the 03 you can't do to the '13 to make the 03 the better vehicle. You can make a turd faster than all of them if you get to dump a bottomless wallet at one and not the other. I guess that means this is a better vehicle than a Ferrari huh? :lol: 207mph in 4.8sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREyAicJXkM

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
Lol, I'm not going to even get into that ancient silly debate. I had no idea you were thinking along those lines. I'd like to know what you can do to the 03 you can't do to the '13 to make the 03 the better vehicle. You can make a turd faster than all of them if you get to dump a bottomless wallet at one and not the other. I guess that means this is a better vehicle than a Ferrari huh? :lol: 207mph in 4.8sec

I never understood the whole mod argument. Anything can be made faster. The 13/14 is just a better overall car on a better platform. Anyone who says otherwise is just delirious. Looks are subjective and I think the 03/04s have the best body style, but every other objective aspect goes to the Shelby.

psucobra

Established Member
I don't think you're crazy. I bought my first 04 brand new in December of 04 and sold it 08 to help facilitate my house purchase. I have had a 09 GT500 and 12 GT since, both of them I bought new. I can honestly say that my 04 is the only car I ever regretted selling. Maybe it's not the fastest or most advanced Mustang out there any more, but there is just something about the car that makes it, my favorite. For me the 03/04's strike the perfect balance of Looks, comfort, and performance potential. The sky is the limit. Ford/SVT got this car perfect. Right now, I have a 14 GT500 and an 04 and I love them both. If I could only have one, I would be equally content with either.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Yes you are nuts. The 03-04 cobra's have a god awful interior. It was dated when it came out and looks really bad now. When I was looking for my car I was between an 03-04 Cobra and an 07-09 shelby. I just couldn't get past the interior of the 03-04 it ruins the car for me. I wouldn't mind having one as a toy or second vehichle but I wouldn't want one as a daily.

That said if you are going to be able to sell your car buy an 03-04 cobra and have a lexus or something to daily that's not a bad option.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think you're nuts. I had a mint 11k mile Terminator dropped on CCWs that I sold for my 2014, and I haven't thought about that thing since the day it left. My brother recently bought a whippled torch red 04 and not only do I drag his ass, when I drive it I feel like I'm in a ragged out fox body. I hate those cars and don't know how I ever owned one, let alone two. I'll never go back.

Not sure what's with all the hostility but I'm glad to hear your happier now.

:beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member

I don't recall debating anything. This thread is about a guy considering getting a Terminator. Nobody said anything bad about a GT500 as there is no need to get defensive. Not sure if you have noticed despite being out of production for 10 years with a relatively small number being produced how popular the Terminator still is. All one needs to do is look at the volume for traffic on our side compared to all the others sites and you start to get the picture. There is a reason for that!

Ford gave us a great canvas to paint on don't you agree?

niceCobra_zpsc492866a.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
I mean they are nice cars but they aren't in the same category with any year gt500 let alone 13-14's.

:dw:

"they arn't in in the same category" what are you smoking?

Both pony cars have supercharged DOHC V8 engines based on the same architecture, 6 speed and RWD based on a Mustang platforms. Seems me they are exactly in the same category to me.

What makes them so different?

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I really liked my 03 Term Vert., and regretted the day I sold it. I then bought a New 09 GT 500 Vert, drove it home and hated it. Stock it was slow, and I couldn't hear the Motor, Blower whine, Exhaust, and it handled like trying to turn an Aircraft Carrier. Quick Mods made it better, but I never liked it as much as the Term. I really like my '14 GT 500 Vert. The Modded and set-up IRS really made the Term. handle, with 0 Wheel hop. No Fly by Wire, made it seem much more immediate. Great cars....

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
:dw:

"they arn't in in the same category" what are you smoking?

Both pony cars have supercharged DOHC V8 engines based on the same architecture, 6 speed and RWD based on a Mustang platforms. Seems me they are exactly in the same category to me.

What makes them so different?
Besides the engines, size of the blower, interior, exterior , stereo, seats, nothing they are very similar. Compare any 10 year old car to a new version of that car and they shouldn't be in the same league. 04 cobra vs 14 gt500, 04 gt vs 14 5.0, 04 z06 vs 14 z06..... See where I'm going here. Things get better with time. Nothing wrong with 03-04's. But the 2014 is simply better.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna keep my Shelby, just wondered if other's had the same thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread