Am I being a fool here? - Possible GT350 purchase

hunterp

Established Member
I'm contemplating buying a GT350 and the dealers are being tight-fisted about letting anyone test drive them, so I would basically be buying one without driving it first. Anyone else done this or am I the only idiot contemplating this? :)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
99.9% of dealers won't let you test drive one.

Imagine if you were the guy that came along wanting to buy one, and the only one available had 71 miles on it because 6 other guys test drove it before you got there.

krt22

Established Member
Im an idiot as well. Never saw or heard one (sans countless youtube videos) before I placed the order. I ordered out of state and had it shipped so I didnt see it until after I paid for it and it arrived at my house

U5gpJU1.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
99.9% of dealers won't let you test drive one.

Imagine if you were the guy that came along wanting to buy one, and the only one available had 71 miles on it because 6 other guys test drove it before you got there.

This. Not to mention if they let test drives happen, any Joe Schmo would be wanting to drive it. Not worth the liability/loss of sales imo. Same as I won't let someone test ride my bikes without me having cash in my hand.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Ordered mine, never drove one.
Lifes about chances Clark (Randy Quaid voice)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
This is blatant discrimination. When Hillary/Bernie get ordained, all people, regardless of the number of times they have filed for bankruptcy, have a drivers license or not, are undocumented or not, will be able to drive a GT350 home for free. Yay.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Back on topic: I ordered my GT500 with the only S197 I had driven being a V6 rental. Many guys on here have done the same. The car has been compared to a Porsche 911, I think you'll be fine.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Never drove a Boss before placing my order and receiving my car. Thinking to do the same for the 350 (although I have driven one on-track briefly).

Established Member
its normal, I bought 2011 gt500 vert, 2014 gt500, 2016 gt350. On the vert they offered a drive when I was on the way to finance, I passed, made me feel naughty so I did it again, a again. On the GT500's there was a super charger bypass that prevented boost for 11 miles after the computer was reset, so you knew under 11mi unlikely abused.

I just saw this and here is the reason most dealers don't hand out the keys.... poor car.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...C7B5D630EA0D5565D8D9C7B5D630EA0D5&FORM=VRDGAR

IM3CPO

Established Member
Your call

I'm contemplating buying a GT350 and the dealers are being tight-fisted about letting anyone test drive them, so I would basically be buying one without driving it first. Anyone else done this or am I the only idiot contemplating this? :)

If you really are serious about purchasing the car, its completely reasonable to test drive it first. Having said this, I have a GT350 on order without driving one. Will I take it on a test drive before I actually take delivery? Yes! ;)

FYI: I have test driven two GT500's (a 2012 and a 2013), two Lexus IS-F's, 2 Audi R8 V10's, 1 R8 GT, 911 Porsche Turbo, Porsche Caymen GTS, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Challenger Hellcat, even a McLaren MP4-12C. All were new on dealers lots and while I did buy some of these cars, I definitely didn't buy all of them.

As others have said, worst case scenario is drive a performance pack GT and know the gT350 will be better in every way.

nickf2005

Established Member
The last manual Mustang I had driven before taking delivery of my GT500 in 2012 was a 1995 Shinoda in 2004 for Junior prom. I did get to ride in an '11 GT500 before buying so that helped solidify my choice.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I didn't drive my GT500 until after we agreed on a price and they ran my credit. That last part was some BS (and I think illegal) but they had to move 3 cars off the showroom to get it out, so I didn't protest too much. (Plus I had, and still have, an 800+ credit score.) Took it for a 5 minute drive, signed the paperwork, and took it home.

I bought our S4 sight unseen out of state. Inked the whole deal over email and phone calls. Hadn't driven an S4 prior to that. Drove down to Atlanta, signed the paperwork, then drove away with the car. We didn't even get to test drive it. The 5 hour drive back was the test drive! LOL

Crashspeeder

Established Member
I took a GT for a test drive to ensure I'd like the interior, the size, the acceleration, etc. I knew the GT350 would be different, but it would only be better. The seats are amazingly supportive in the Tech Package, which was a nice surprise. The shifter in the GT350 doesn't make me bang my elbow into the storage compartment like the GT did. It's likely a GT will be the closest you get to test driving a GT350. Most dealers don't even have one on the lot, let alone be willing to let you test drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread