Am I a new member of the BMC?

BigDan

Established Member
i dropped my car off this Thursday at L&M for my build. they had 7 GT500's there with popped motors and building a few to be shipped. they are swamped. they've seen blown head gaskets. when i asked what they thought the safe limit was on the stock block, the answer was 500whp. . Michael felt 15-16psi was the max for the stock block as well. hope for the best brother.

Was he just joking around with that 500whp number because me as well as the majority of other 2011+ owners are putting down 500whp+ 100% stock. I'm now making 585whp at 11psi and feels no where near its limit.

How many of the BMC GT500's at L&M had aftermarket lower's?

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
Was he just joking around with that 500whp number because me as well as the majority of other 2011+ owners are putting down 500whp+ 100% stock. I'm now making 585whp at 11psi and feels no where near its limit.

How many of the BMC GT500's at L&M had aftermarket lower's?
no, he wasn't joking. when he said it i was like, huh?

MattR

Established Member
500rwhp? DOH!

Comments like the one this engine builder made would turn me off. Pictures of this particular shop and never very sanitary for an engine assembly shop, we have other supporting vendors that have clean room like assembly areas. I'm sure they build a great engine but people don't need to hear that sort of thing.

Spoolin By U

Established Member
I agree with MATTR! L & M just wants to scare people into
purchasing a new built motor, its a business move on their part.
As far as the pulls to 6900 rpm though, thats an entirely different
thing as these engines are only designed for a max rev ceiling of 6250 rpm!
Anyone who pushes past that rpm is definitely on borrowed time regardless.
Also these aftermarket lower overdrive pulleys are creating more and more crank
snout snapping and cracking issues as well. Which I think most engine builders like alot!

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
snapping and cracking issues as well. Which I think most engine builders like alot!

I just removed a 15% IW OD lower from my car. Since I had a stock 2008+ pulley side by side with the IW, I weighed them both. So many times I've heard people make statements online remarking about the IW being as light, or lighter, than the 2008+ OEM crank pulley. They were incorrect.

OEM pulley = 9.8 lbs.

IW 15% OD = 11.8 lbs.

The extra weight, higher boost, higher parasitic drag, and higher rpm can all attribute to additional stress on the crank. For a serious high power GT500, it's a good idea to have a double keyed crank shaft when using an OD balancer.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Having bought a motor from Michael and speaking to him many times before and after my build, I can say with 100% confidence he's not like that. He said to me when I picked up my car 'I hope not to see the car again' translated, he didn't want to have me come bak for a new motor.

He believes in having a margin of safety as large as possible as not to blow up one's motor. I think we would all agree that at 500 whp on a GT500, such a power level would yield a long life for the motor.

My $.02

Van@RevanRacing

Comments like the one this engine builder made would turn me off. Pictures of this particular shop and never very sanitary for an engine assembly shop, we have other supporting vendors that have clean room like assembly areas. I'm sure they build a great engine but people don't need to hear that sort of thing.

Matt with all due respect you don't know Michael Rauscher. Michael answers questions with honesty and a sharp edge. I've built engines in his shop with him and it is a machine shop. But it is full of precision and cleanliness. Some engine companies don't even have the ability to machine a block. Every precaution is taken in the assembly stage. Just because you see. Clean room doesn't mean anything. That could be for the sake of a magazine article. Look at the numbers and the records. L&M has the track record for success. If you don't like or understand Michael's 500 rwhp response call him and ask him. He'll tell you what he thinks. Oh by the way, brace yourself. LOL

snout snapping and cracking issues as well. Which I think most engine builders like alot!

You are incorrect in assuming that statement was to drive business. That is pure opinion and I suggest you call Michael at L&M Engines and share your position with him. You will likely retract your statement.

Michael builds my personal engines and Jon Lund's personal engines. Nobody else.

Having bought a motor from Michael and speaking to him many times before and after my build, I can say with 100% confidence he's not like that. He said to me when I picked up my car 'I hope not to see the car again' translated, he didn't want to have me come bak for a new motor.

He believes in having a margin of safety as large as possible as not to blow up one's motor. I think we would all agree that at 500 whp on a GT500, such a power level would yield a long life for the motor.

My $.02

Couldn't agree more and your motor I still going strong. Thanks for commenting SJ.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
People hate the truth. 500 is safe. Boost of 5 psi is totally safe. Noone can ever tell you what is safe and what will last once you start modifying something. If you asked someone to build you something and stand behind it, do you think you will have a 1,000 rwhp car. You can never say with a 100% certainity this or that will last. Soon as you do and something happens they look at you.

I tell people all the time when I do work for them whats safe. Guy asked me one day what was safe for a motor that I built. Told him not to take it over 3K and it would last forever. Looked at me like I was crazy. Now if I said it was indestructible and he turned it 8K and slung a rod he would be looking at me. 5 psi and 500 rwhp will have a long healthy life

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Hahaha. This thread is just messed up. To say these engines are not safe past 500rwhp is a complete joke. So from the factory my car is bascilly unsafe. Hahahahaha. My car made 480rwhp some have made 490rwhp. With a tune you will see over 500rwhp. Tune only! NO exhaust filter or anything. So ford is selling a engine on edge of blowing up from the factory??? No. Just no.

If you hurt your engine i can almost promise you it was the owners own fault, not a issue with parts. Unless you make over 750rwhp its most likely faulty install, poor tuning, or poor driving. Chances are poor driving more then the others as in over rev, hot laps, taking tunning into your own hands, high spd pull and such.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Hahaha. This thread is just messed up. To say these engines are not safe past 500rwhp is a complete joke. So from the factory my car is bascilly unsafe. Hahahahaha. My car made 480rwhp some have made 490rwhp. With a tune you will see over 500rwhp. Tune only! NO exhaust filter or anything. So ford is selling a engine on edge of blowing up from the factory??? No. Just no.

If you hurt your engine i can almost promise you it was the owners own fault, not a issue with parts. Unless you make over 750rwhp its most likely faulty install, poor tuning, or poor driving. Chances are poor driving more then the others as in over rev, hot laps, taking tunning into your own hands, high spd pull and such.

None of us knows what Michael was thinking at the time he made the comment. He might have thought some are idiots and want 600 rwhp on 87 octane. Ford tunes most of our cars from the factory thinking you will attempt to put a trailer hitch on your GT500 an tow a 15,000 LB boat up a 15 degree grade.

The statement and conclusion and speculation behind Michael's comments are speculation.

If you guys would like I will get a user ID created for Michael as L&M@RevanRacing and he will post and answer questions directly.

If he agrees and we do this brace yourself! LMAO. Let me know what you guys think.

For what it's worth. When I was adjusting and preparing my harnesses for the Texas Mile passes in October. I asked Michael to get me right in the seat. I Trust this guy with my life and my engines.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Van, I doubt he'll come online based on comments he's made to me.

bull3441

Established Member
you're way out of line with that comment. L&M is not a business that solicit's business nor are they vendors etc. there are quite a few guys here that bought "built motors" from other companies, only to have failure then go L&M. they are swamped with GT500's with popped motors! Michael tried talking me out of using the oliver rods and his pitons to save $. if you spoke with the man, you would see he's a straight shooter.

Last edited:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Van, your right i don't know what he was thinking at the time. Its always better to be safe than sorry I did not mean to target the builder. What i meant is chances are its user error that causes these things to go not the enigne builder, parts used or tune. Thats all. No disrespect to the engine builder or anyone else. I just don't get some of the people on here posting about the lowers causing issues or a certian tuner thats not good. Its just crazy.

I can see someone in a few weeks posting they just took there car out and it blew up from just a quick pull. The truth being they hit it from a 20 roll when it was 40 degrees out on stock rubber and held it on the rev limiter for 20 seconds and it let go. Yes parts have there limits but they are alot more at risk when they are abused.

bull3441

Established Member
None of us knows what Michael was thinking at the time he made the comment. He might have thought some are idiots and want 600 rwhp on 87 octane. Ford tunes most of our cars from the factory thinking you will attempt to put a trailer hitch on your GT500 an tow a 15,000 LB boat up a 15 degree grade.

The statement and conclusion and speculation behind Michael's comments are speculation.

If you guys would like I will get a user ID created for Michael as L&M@RevanRacing and he will post and answer questions directly.

If he agrees and we do this brace yourself! LMAO. Let me know what you guys think.

For what it's worth. When I was adjusting and preparing my harnesses for the Texas Mile passes in October. I asked Michael to get me right in the seat. I Trust this guy with my life and my engines.
Van, it wasn't Michael that said that. Michael was out for the week. i really don't see what these guys are bitching about :shrug: 500whp and the stock motor would prob last 200k miles + with proper maintenance. also as to the comments posted about a dirty shop, that's BS. i'd say a little cluttered, but not dirty. i would've walked if i felt my car wasn't in good hands. i also showed the pics i took of the shop to my cousin, he a machinist, and he was very impressed with the hardware he saw there. i owe L&M nothing at this point in time. they're not a sponsor or giving me this great deal to say nice things about them or promote business. i called Michael three days in a row and he spent a lot of time with me and never rushed me. he deserves respect!

bull3441

Established Member
Van, your right i don't know what he was thinking at the time. Its always better to be safe than sorry I did not mean to target the builder. What i meant is chances are its user error that causes these things to go not the enigne builder, parts used or tune. Thats all. No disrespect to the engine builder or anyone else. I just don't get some of the people on here posting about the lowers causing issues or a certian tuner thats not good. Its just crazy.

I can see someone in a few weeks posting they just took there car out and it blew up from just a quick pull. The truth being they hit it from a 20 roll when it was 40 degrees out on stock rubber and held it on the rev limiter for 20 seconds and it let go. Yes parts have there limits but they are alot more at risk when they are abused.
Nascar, F1, IRL, NHRA have the best in the world building their motors and the best parts $ can buy. the motors still pop. hell last Sprint Cup race every Roush motor popped, except Edwards. not user error, parts fail what can you do. the guy gave me an honest opinion, being as they're swamped with GT500's as i stated when i asked Michael what was a safe psi for my build on pump 93, he replied "you better ask Lund, because i will tell you 5psi". i laughed because i knew where he was coming from as a builder vs tuner.

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks for the post and I agree. We all love how these cars perform in the cool air but you have to monitor your A/F because it can change dramatically with dense cool air and more boost. :beer:

Van, it wasn't Michael that said that. Michael was out for the week. i really don't see what these guys are bitching about :shrug: 500whp and the stock motor would prob last 200k miles + with proper maintenance. also as to the comments posted about a dirty shop, that's BS. i'd say a little cluttered, but not dirty. i would've walked if i felt my car wasn't in good hands. i also showed the pics i took of the shop to my cousin, he a machinist, and he was very impressed with the hardware he saw there. i owe L&M nothing at this point in time. they're not a sponsor or giving me this great deal to say nice things about them or promote business. i called Michael three days in a row and he spent a lot of time with me and never rushed me. he deserves respect!

Right on Bull. I work with Michael because he tells it like it is. This is an open forum and people are entitled to their opinions. I just ask that people speak to the man or get a base knowledge behind reasoning before drawing a conclusion.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Nascar, F1, IRL, NHRA have the best in the world building their motors and the best parts $ can buy. the motors still pop. hell last Sprint Cup race every Roush motor popped, except Edwards. not user error, parts fail what can you do. the guy gave me an honest opinion, being as they're swamped with GT500's as i stated when i asked Michael what was a safe psi for my build on pump 93, he replied "you better ask Lund, because i will tell you 5psi". i laughed because i knew where he was coming from as a builder vs tuner.

I agree with you. Parts do fail. BUT abusing them is in most cases what causes them to fail. Comparing a stock gt500 enigine to a car that sees 9000rpms for 2 hrs is not a good comparison.

If you want to run your gt500 engine wide open for 2 hrs im sure it will let go.

Take a gt500 engine put a 2.9 whipple on it and keep it bellow 6500rpms, off the rev limiter and don't stay at wot for more then 10 or so seconds(thats easy 0 to 130mph), get a good tune and run good gas 93 and add a few gallons of 100 and it will last a long time. The chances of it failing due to driver error are a lot higher then it failing due to parts.

Im guessing we are all not understanding each other. Im not tryin to stirr up anything. Im stayin out of this thread. I like this forum and its members. great advice, venders and people. Some times we just dont see eye to eye or we just dont get what the other person is trying to say.:beer:

bull3441

Established Member
I agree with you. Parts do fail. BUT abusing them is in most cases what causes them to fail. Comparing a stock gt500 enigine to a car that sees 9000rpms for 2 hrs is not a good comparison.

If you want to run your gt500 engine wide open for 2 hrs im sure it will let go.

Take a gt500 engine put a 2.9 whipple on it and keep it bellow 6500rpms, off the rev limiter and don't stay at wot for more then 10 or so seconds(thats easy 0 to 130mph), get a good tune and run good gas 93 and add a few gallons of 100 and it will last a long time. The chances of it failing due to driver error are a lot higher then it failing due to parts.

Im guessing we are all not understanding each other. Im not tryin to stirr up anything. Im stayin out of this thread. I like this forum and its members. great advice, venders and people. Some times we just dont see eye to eye or we just dont get what the other person is trying to say.:beer:
i made the comparison because Nascar has the best builders and parts available to the teams. motors still pop during testing, qualifying, race day etc. when you have the best equipment to meet the goal of 9500 rpm for 500 miles and still run into failure well before the finish, it goes to show.... shit happens. that's all i was saying.

Users who are viewing this thread