Aluminum driveshaft???

Bite Me

Established Member
Supposedly the FRPP one will work if you change the yoke on it? Not sure about that.

I just talked to PST about this and they will make a custom for $429.

VNEMUS

Established Member
I installed a brand new Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft (Part# M-4602-J) back in 2006 and it was a direct fit to my 01' Cobra with with T-3650 and 01' IRS, no modifications necessary at all. I've never had a single problem with it.

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
I installed a brand new Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft (Part# M-4602-J) back in 2006 and it was a direct fit to my 01' Cobra with with T-3650 and 01' IRS, no modifications necessary at all. I've never had a single problem with it.

I always thought they would not :shrug:

From the Roush website...

Fully assembled aluminum driveshaft with 31 spline yoke and u-joints installed. This unit is made from 6061-RT62 aluminum and is 3.5" in diameter with a 45.5" overall length from centerline to centerline of u-joints.

Features
•Application: Fits 1996-04 Mustang and 1996-98 Cobra 4.6L with manual transmission. 31 spline yoke
•Material: 6061-RT62 Aluminum
•Overall Length: 45.5" centerline to centerline of U-joints
•Diameter: 3.5"

Special Note: Will Not Fit 1999-2004 Cobra

Ford Racing M-4602-J Aluminum Driveshaft Assembly - Roush Yates

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member

I had that FRPP driveshaft. I pulled it off my totaled 02 GT. I sold it because everything I read said it would not fit. I think I sold it for $200.:cuss:

Bite Me

Established Member
Stock length DS is 44.5 center to center so I dont see how you can get an extra inch in there with the FRPP driveshaft. I have maybe an 1/8th of play in mine.

VNEMUS

Established Member
I had all the information saying it wouldn't fit :read:until I met a guy that had an 2001 Cobra with a stock T-3650 and stock 2001 IRS that had one installed.:dw:It was hard for me to believe too:??:, but seeing for myself was all I needed to go ahead and order it myself and it fit perfectly.

Look at the following thread where this has been discussed before:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/597155-driveshafts.html

The OP was asking for options. Several people chimed in with all the stats and differences as to why it won't fit and why he should get a custom one from PST or other places. In the end, the OP took the same chance I did, even though everyone said it wouldn't work, and you know what? It worked for him too (see post #1 & #23).

My car is in storage right now, otherwise I'd consider pulling the DS off and measure up everything side by side and determine what makes it fit. My guess is the shafts are 1" different in length like the supporting documentation says, therefore it must have something to do with the sizing of 1 or both of the yokes.:shrug:

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
I might need to put a new driveshaft in my car. It would be great if the J fit. I will probably give it a try if I find out I have to get a new one.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have the foxbody driveshaft in my car. Stock 3650 and IRS. All I had to do was swap the slip yoke with the one from my stock driveshaft.

gmsux

Established Member
The J and G shafts are the same with the exception
of the trans slip yoke, the J will fit the T45 or 3650. The
question is if the length will work. It appears to based on a
few who have tried it. It will be a close fit though.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
i have the two sitting next to each other in my garage (the FRPP and Stock 01 Cobra) I am here to tell you they will fit, I tried it before i took my IRS out.

mustangman36578

Established Member
i have an aluminum driveshaft for sale if anyone is interested. bought it from FRPP about a year ago. im going T-56 so it wont fit then lol. send me a pm if any one is interested.

pc85gt

Established Member
I'm ready to pull the trigger on an M-4206-J for my '01 cobra. It has the stock T-3560/'01 IRS combination. The stock drive shaft measures 44.7" centerline/centerline of U-joints. There is about 1.2" play from back of spline yoke and back edge of seal or about 1.7" from back of spline yoke to transmission. If the M-4206-J is 45.5" then there should be about to .4" to .5" gap between the seal and yoke. I would say that the aluminum drive shaft should fit just fine.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
fffuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Last edited:

19blkcbra99

Established Member
whats up guys i am new to this site. reading this post i see several coments about 01 cobra's, i own a 99 and would like to install an aluminum driveshaft as well. the sites i have visited show driveshafts for early cobras and terminators but they say they will not fit my 99. Where can i buy one and approx how much will i be looking at paying?

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
whats up guys i am new to this site. reading this post i see several coments about 01 cobra's, i own a 99 and would like to install an aluminum driveshaft as well. the sites i have visited show driveshafts for early cobras and terminators but they say they will not fit my 99. Where can i buy one and approx how much will i be looking at paying?

Read much? :banana:

19blkcbra99

Established Member
Read much? :banana:

only what is written and I am no mechanic so there are some terms that i am a little unfamiliar with however on this thread i have read several comments about the 2001 cobras with the t-3650 tranny but have not seen the 1999 with the t-45 tranny mentioned. I do not know for sure but I do not think the measurements are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread