CaliGT500524

Established Member
Hi all,

I am trying to get a feel for what the driving experience is like with an aluminum one piece drive shaft installed. I realize the weight benefit and rotating mass, but what about noise and vibrations? My GT500 is a daily driver and I am struggling to find good info about all of the effects and side effects.

Do people find that the car drives more smoothly? Does it take away some daily drivability? I am making about 550rwhp so will I really need to think about a one piece aluminum driveshaft or is not really necessary?

Thanks in advance!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
There are only benefits with a 1 piece aluminum DS. I ditched my OE 2 piece 2 years ago and not once have I ever thought about putting it back on. There feels like less slop than the OE, and the peace of mind having a strong unit that can take drag racing abuse (to an extent) is really worth it.

Less weight means less loss from energy used to spin the 2 piece.

I use and abuse a Driveshaft Shop GT500 specific alum driveshaft. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Their rear CV joint really saves a LOT of set up headaches as a pinion angle spec is replaced by a rear tube to flange distance measurement. Most normal, stock rear suspension setups will need no adjustment. Very light weight.

The unit comes with an adapter for the GT500 pinion flange. I did a gear change a month or two ago and I was able to take a dremel and remove a SMALL amount out of the hole in the middle of the adapter. Was able to fit the pinion nut and socket in there to complete the install without separating the adapter.

A carbon fiber DS is a nice option and certainly stout. For ME, the cost difference wasnt enough to justify the CF. There are other manufacturers out there like Dynotech and Ford Performance (100% drop in unit like all Ford Performance stuff). All will do a great job whichever one you decide to run.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I really couldn't even tell a difference on mine. Unless your launching hard i would do other mods first. Only reason i replaced mine was for weight savings and to avoid doing a backwards wheelie.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Put in a Dynotech. No complaints. Drop in install, no adjustments necessary. ZERO NVH. Saved a ton of weight over the stock unit. Most difficult of the install was getting the floppy, heavy 2 piece stock unit out by myself while on my back using jack stands.

Definitely get a safety loop. If you ever plan on a new mid pipe I recommend the CHE loop over the BMR loop. My BMR didn't fit very well with the Lethal ORH.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Watching this thread closely, as I have alum DS already, T56 Magnum XL, plus poly UCA and LCA's, and I am very interested in reducing NVH. Mine is not horrible, but if I can reduce it, I will............

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Driveshaft won't help reduce the noise from poly uppers and lowers. Thats all rear end stuffs right there. Just imagine having rod end uppers, lowers and poly reinforced diff mount bushing... :D

Imatk

Established Member
I have the carbon fiber driveshaft and don't really notice much difference either... but it sure looks cool :)

CaliGT500524

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies. The car already has LCA, UCA, from Steeda and the usual basic induction side engine mods: TB, CAI, Tune, Inlet Elbow from VMP, Supercharger Pulley, so I think I'll get the driveshaft sometime in the future, I just suspect it might be wearing out a little and if I'm going to replace it I might as well get the one piece. However, from my understanding from all of you, its not urgent for my application, so thanks for that!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I really couldn't even tell a difference on mine. Unless your launching hard i would do other mods first. Only reason i replaced mine was for weight savings and to avoid doing a backwards wheelie.

Same here. I replaced mine only for the weight savings. I went from stock > aluminum > carbon fiber. There's almost no perceptible performance gain from one to the other. Mine did pick up some V after changing shafts, but no NH. (Well, I did get some noise due to a bad CV joint on the aluminum shaft.) Incidentally, installing a Watts link squelched the V for the most part. I'm not entirely sure how it did, but it did. Maybe the extra mass on the rear axle helps to attenuate it.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Stock driveshaft weighs 39.3 lbs, DSS aluminum driveshaft weighs 20.3 lbs. Savings of 19 lbs. Had mine for 5 years. No additional noise, vibration, anything. Expensive, but worthwhile, especially if you drag race, regardless of RWHP.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Stock driveshaft weighs 39.3 lbs, DSS aluminum driveshaft weighs 20.3 lbs. Savings of 19 lbs. Had mine for 5 years. No additional noise, vibration, anything. Expensive, but worthwhile, especially if you drag race, regardless of RWHP.
How fast (MPH) have you taken your car? I've heard about V issues, above 150mph.

Imatk

Established Member
I will say this... my gas mileage went up after my CF driveshaft.

About 2 mpg :)

Users who are viewing this thread