Aluminum Drive shaft require tune Auto?

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
As stated in Title! Does the 11-12 require a tune when you install the Aluminum DS on an already tuned 5.0? I didn't find a thread that referenced this specifically.

94_Vert

Established Member
No tune required, but you do need to adjust and clean the johnson rod.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk

jim g

Established Member
i would talk to your tuner. but i think if you didnt get a new tune for the hood and hood pins.... u will defiantly need one now.....

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Well I aske dthe question because I was told by several people that I didn't however, I have it installed and on the 2-1 downshift it tends to shift down hard and clunk a bit. Its a decent jolt so I know its not good for the tranny. So since I have experienced this, it definitely begs the question of what has changed and why it does it? The tuning would be my first thought due to the easy install of the DS. If you can tune shift points, can you not fix this issue with tuning! No flame suit for me, I asked to learn. You guys realize that its ok not to know everything right?

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
No, but if you change the muffler bearings at the same time, which you should, then yes.

No tune required, but you do need to adjust and clean the johnson rod.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk

i would talk to your tuner. but i think if you didnt get a new tune for the hood and hood pins.... u will defiantly need one now.....

LOL! Some of these were pretty funny!

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
are you lowered?

Yes, on eibach sportlines. And with that question you just helped me diagnose the issue most likely. I installed the DS on a lift and never got to check pinion angle due to recent rain and a family trip (not in the car). So now I think I know the culprit!

4VFTW

Established Member
No tune required , but due to less rotational mass and faster acceleration you should go with a stiffer piston return spring

2012csgt

Established Member
Laugh all you want but when I put my DS in shortly after I blew my #8. I think it's because it enables you to rev much faster with less weight and it catches the global timing off guard... Them say goodbye #8. Make sure your tuner lowers your timing or just lower it -2 on the sct yourself. Consider yourself warned.

Users who are viewing this thread