Although oil prices are getting higher, I think food prices are more alarming....

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
How does this apply to food and gas getting more expensive? What modern conveniences are we going to lose? Electricity? I don't see the price of coal going up, nor nuclear power or hydroelectric power. Cell phone plans and internet won't get more expensive. .

How do you figure?
Coal needs to be transported, it has gone up.

A lot of power plants are natural gas fired, It has gone up.

Nuclear and hydro= They still have to maintain them, all the equipment, transportation cost have gone up.

Cell phones= towers that need to be maintained, even the grass cut around them has increased in cost.
Everything will go up.
It may not affect you as much as others but everthing will go up in cost.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Totinos pizzas > any other cheap food

If times get extra tough, time to step down to Creamy Chicken Ramen noodles :D

United_115

Established Member
i was watching CNN last night on Planet in peril and they were talking about the food shortage going on throughout the entire world. Its not that North America is short on food but its the demand has sky rocketed and the producers and food companies can raise the price knowing they will make a large profit in a short time. They also said if farmers in africa were tought how to properly farm rice and other key foods that they could double their crops every year and lower the demand in the WHOLE entire world.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
i was watching CNN last night on Planet in peril and they were talking about the food shortage going on throughout the entire world. Its not that North America is short on food but its the demand has sky rocketed and the producers and food companies can raise the price knowing they will make a large profit in a short time. They also said if farmers in africa were tought how to properly farm rice and other key foods that they could double their crops every year and lower the demand in the WHOLE entire world.

What they did not mention is that Zimbabwe once the breadbasket of Africa had capable farmers who all had their farms and land stolen from them and given to the modern day IDI AMIN (robert mugabe)'s cronies.

United_115

Established Member
true, but africa's farmers need to be tought more efficent ways of farming otherwise this shortage will have no end.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
It's all a genius plan by George Bush, what is the one thing that US still does better than any other country? Farm, we are going to start gaining our international wealth back through food. Food for Oil.

I am suprised we've never done this before, where does the majority of the oil in the world reside, in a giant f'ing desert. If they want our food, they give us oil.

We will of course keep enough food for ourselves.

92z28

Established Member
true, but africa's farmers need to be tought more efficent ways of farming otherwise this shortage will have no end.

Yes the white man should go and teach them poor Africans how to farm the right way. :bored:

Sarcasm aside the farming techniques in that area have provided for people in that region since before our forefathers even knew how to sail let alone knew there was an America. There are many issues that most African nations have to overcome before anything like that can be done most of them stemming from colonization. I don't claim to be an expert but I discussed the matters enough times with one of my History profs. who happens to be from Kenya to have some sort of an idea.

JohnnyBlaze

Established Member
i doubt thats going to happen :shrug: we just found 4 billion barrells of gas in North Dakota last week, and theres over 6 billion barrells in Alaska, mind you each barrell is 55 gallons of oil, so i think were set for a while

Did we find 10 billion barrels worth of oil, or was it 10 billion actual barrels full of oil? I really hope it's the former, cuz if it took this long to find 10 billion ACTUAL barrels of oil in our own country, then we got no chance of finding Bin Laden. Please tell me it was 10 billion barrels worth of oil, lol.

Secondly, when are the gas prices going to reflect all of this oil we just found?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Did we find 10 billion barrels worth of oil, or was it 10 billion actual barrels full of oil? I really hope it's the former, cuz if it took this long to find 10 billion ACTUAL barrels of oil in our own country, then we got no chance of finding Bin Laden. Please tell me it was 10 billion barrels worth of oil, lol.

Secondly, when are the gas prices going to reflect all of this oil we just found?

It's not that we JUST found it, it is more that it is JUST feasible to harvest it. The rock facies are not condusive to harvest in the Dakotas.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
It's all a genius plan by George Bush, what is the one thing that US still does better than any other country? Farm, we are going to start gaining our international wealth back through food. Food for Oil.

I am suprised we've never done this before, where does the majority of the oil in the world reside, in a giant f'ing desert. If they want our food, they give us oil.

We will of course keep enough food for ourselves.

My family farm is now growing tree's thanks to government intervention in the 70's that made it impossible to make a living farming anymore.

America WAS the best agricultural nation at one time, but not anymore. You can thank government, and big corporations for that.

One thing is for sure, we have plenty of land going to waste that could very well be farmed. Unfortunately, the farmers who used to farm it lost their shirts a long time ago, and are no longer in the farming business anymore.....

Maybe the current food shortages will help turn that around.

United_115

Established Member
Yes the white man should go and teach them poor Africans how to farm the right way. :bored:

Sarcasm aside the farming techniques in that area have provided for people in that region since before our forefathers even knew how to sail let alone knew there was an America. There are many issues that most African nations have to overcome before anything like that can be done most of them stemming from colonization. I don't claim to be an expert but I discussed the matters enough times with one of my History profs. who happens to be from Kenya to have some sort of an idea.

GIve them the right techniques, better ways of farming suited to their enviroment. Just because they have been doing it for hundreds of years doesnt meen they are doing everything right. THe african continent is going to get ****ed majorily by global warming in the years to come and they need to be tought how to use everything to their advantage. The countries that dont have a coast line are going to be screwed for water sources pretty soon, for example look at Lake Chad, it borders 5 different countries and 36 MILLION people depend on the lake for their water and for farming irrigation. The lake has shrunk within the past i think 20+/- years 90% of its original size. So pretty soon 36 million people are going to have no big water source and are gonna be in the crapper.

PDubs

Established Member
Yeah this food cost sucks more than that gas increase. Milk, eggs, everything. I remember when I could get by comfortably at $40/wk for me. That budget is long gone now.

Eating healthy = $$$

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Novel concept:

Stop ****ing around with ethanol
Start drilling ANWR
Stop filling the strategic reserves

Huge chunk of problem solved.

spinscan

Established Member
Relax, the world isn't coming to an end. These aren't the worst times since the Great Depression, regardless of what some clown politician or media talking head says on the news tonight. :nonono: Apparently these people weren't around in the 1970s. :shrug: Double-digit inflation rates, no economic growth, stagflation, fuel rationing, prime rate of 20%+, misery index, etc. Can you imagine buying a house on a credit card? That's about how high interest rates were back then. :eek: Ask your parents how bad the 70s sucked.

We are in a 24/7 news society now. Everything today is reported as a crisis. "The sky is falling...this is the worst it's ever been. Be sure to tune in for our special coverage at 11:00." Do not allow yourself to be sucked in by this garbage.

AMEN!

Users who are viewing this thread