Although oil prices are getting higher, I think food prices are more alarming....

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Have you been paying attention to the fact that food prices have doubled, and in some cases, even tripled over the last few years, with much of the increase taking place just in the last few months.

That should be more alarming to us than the price of oil. Oil prices are serving to divert attention away from the bigger problem, imo.

There are already several nations rationing food, and here in the USA stores are starting to do so on certain foods, like grains and rice.

I am not an alarmist, but I feel it is an indicator that things are about to get real bad.... a lot worse than anything anyone in our generation has ever experienced. Think depression bad....

http://nebraskafarmer.com/index.aspx?ascxid=fpStory&fpsid=33446&fpstid=2

http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7479445

http://www.wtov9.com/money/15977981/detail.html

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jLPll3S2VDzkMALcjD4vYyg1y5ZgD907S6QO0

http://www.ctvbc.ca/servlet/an/loca...n_AM_080424/20080424/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Are you prepared? Do you have a food storage, emergency supplies, water storage, etc., to get you through if the bottom drops out? If not, now is a good time to start building it up.

Do you have the skills and knowledge to get along without modern conveniences? If not, it might be time to learn some, or many.

Again, I do not consider myself an alarmist, but I am one who likes to be prepared for the worst, and it looks like this nation might be heading into the worst financial times since the great depression.

Up until now, the food shortage was mainly affecting other nations (African, Asian, etc.), but we are starting to feel it here, to an extent. To what extent will we feel it? I guess we will see...

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
fuel and food preices are directly related due to tranporting food, and using @ 25% of corn for bio fuels :shrug:

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Everything is somehow effected by the price of oil. Even things you wouldn't think has it's price altered by the rise in oil prices. And since I work in the food service, I can tell you from a firsthand experience, people are still going out to eat and many of them have plenty of storage already on their bodies.

bugmenot

Established Member
Its good for my family. We have rice property and it skyrocketed. Signed a futures contract for about $10 more a sack than what it went for last year. But, they are going up quite a bit and it is affecting many places. I know its affecting the restaurant I work at a lot more than people think. When you have to spend around 10% more for the food every week, and still charge the same, its not good. And if you raise the prices the buyers get upset.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Do you have the skills and knowledge to get along without modern conveniences? If not, it might be time to learn some, or many.

How does this apply to food and gas getting more expensive? What modern conveniences are we going to lose? Electricity? I don't see the price of coal going up, nor nuclear power or hydroelectric power. Cell phone plans and internet won't get more expensive. I already have 2 computers so I'm covered there. My cars run fine and don't require any service from anyone but me (speaking of which, why haven't motor oil prices gone up at all?). My house isn't going to collapse or all my electronic devices spontaneously explode.

Remember, the last depression was in the 20's and 30's, so they didn't have 'modern' conveniences to begin with :poke:

My family has a boat and lives 2 minutes away from the Potomac River. If it gets that bad, we'll start eating fish more often. We also live in the woods, so I'll learn to hunt. Not really a big deal. Plus I work for the government/DOD, so I don't really see my salary going anywhere, and my parents are retired from public school teaching and will get retirement pay plus social security the rest of their lives. They also have our house, cars, and whatever else paid off. I think we're good for the long haul.

Last edited:

Robert Francis

Established Member
The increase in food prices is not soley attributeable to the rising fuel costs - thats only a part of it. For example, the drought in northeast Australia has really cut into the availability of rice thus increasing the short supply and raising the price of rice.

And as previoulsy noted, the rising food costs effect almost everyone! There's multi millions or people in this country and throughout the world that don't drive - but we "all" have to eat.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I have a 30 .06 and a Mossberg 500 12ga with plenty of ammo. And I love deer meat.

you now someone is from PA when the say that! lol

i thought the exact same thing only it went

I have .270 and Browning Gold Hunter 12ga with plenty of ammo (we reload our own) plus a good number of fishing rods and reels

love me some deer meat!!!!

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
it's so ridiculous to think that we're sitting here with our show car cobras complaining about gas being 4.00 a gallon while within the next decade or two we could be plummet into a depression unlike any other, lose our cars, fight for our houses, and fight for our jobs (if a minimum wage still exists), while the oil companies still rake in the dough

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
it's so ridiculous to think that we're sitting here with our show car cobras complaining about gas being 4.00 a gallon while within the next decade or two we could be plummet into a depression unlike any other, lose our cars, fight for our houses, and fight for our jobs (if a minimum wage still exists), while the oil companies still rake in the dough

i doubt thats going to happen :shrug: we just found 4 billion barrells of gas in North Dakota last week, and theres over 6 billion barrells in Alaska, mind you each barrell is 55 gallons of oil, so i think were set for a while

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Relax, the world isn't coming to an end. These aren't the worst times since the Great Depression, regardless of what some clown politician or media talking head says on the news tonight. :nonono: Apparently these people weren't around in the 1970s. :shrug: Double-digit inflation rates, no economic growth, stagflation, fuel rationing, prime rate of 20%+, misery index, etc. Can you imagine buying a house on a credit card? That's about how high interest rates were back then. :eek: Ask your parents how bad the 70s sucked.

We are in a 24/7 news society now. Everything today is reported as a crisis. "The sky is falling...this is the worst it's ever been. Be sure to tune in for our special coverage at 11:00." Do not allow yourself to be sucked in by this garbage.

92z28

Established Member
I love fishing and I know how to use a gun properly. My dad used to camp out and live off the land for months at a time while grazing cattle and when he worked for a drilling company so I will ask him to teach me his ways. If my old man can live without a single bit of modern convenience and only a small supply of dry goods I can to if need be.

I doubt it will come to that but one last bonding experience with my father and learning a thing or two can't hurt at all.

92z28

Established Member
Relax, the world isn't coming to an end. These aren't the worst times since the Great Depression, regardless of what some clown politician or media talking head says on the news tonight. :nonono: Apparently these people weren't around in the 1970s. :shrug: Double-digit inflation rates, no economic growth, stagflation, fuel rationing, prime rate of 20%+, misery index, etc. Can you imagine buying a house on a credit card? That's about how high interest rates were back then. :eek: Ask your parents how bad the 70s sucked.

We are in a 24/7 news society now. Everything today is reported as a crisis. "The sky is falling...this is the worst it's ever been. Be sure to tune in for our special coverage at 11:00." Do not allow yourself to be sucked in by this garbage.

You sound like my future father in-law. I like listening to what he has to say despite our many differences.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
You sound like my future father in-law.
I'm probably old enough to be your father-in law. :-D

I don't have any formal survivor training, but I've seen the movie Red Dawn at least 10 times, so I figure I'll be OK if I have to take off into the hills to stay alive. :lol1:

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
Tostino's Pepperoni Pizza..

98 cents. It is my favorite college food. It is still that price today. When it goes over $1...I will be worried :D

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
No panic here. I am concerned about the direction things are going, and believe in taking precautions, and being prepared.

Food prices, fuel prices, the declining economy, and the potential of worse times ahead all give me reason to be concerned.

As far as my comment about modern conveniences, that is more related to the fact that everything is getting more expensive, and that has a direct effect on every aspect of your life. Can't afford to buy meat? Then huntin, fishing, farming / gardening, buthering, tanning, etc., would all be useful skils to develop, if you do not already have them.

I remember the 70's pretty well, and we might not be there yet, but the potential is certainly there. I also listened very well to my grandfather, and great grandfather about the depression. Guess what, it happened quickly, and caught most people without much, if any, warning.

I am not saying we are there, or even close, but I am saying it is wise to be prepared.

Current events are a cause for alarm, and precaution. One thing is certain, the past is the best place to look when preparing for the future. Lots of lessons from back then that can be applied to the present.

nezander

Established Member

That..

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
i doubt thats going to happen :shrug: we just found 4 billion barrells of gas in North Dakota last week, and theres over 6 billion barrells in Alaska

Wow, that's great news! They won't even have to refine it so that'll save any more money! What octane did they find? :banana: :D

Users who are viewing this thread