Alternator trouble!!!!

cb739

Let's Get It!
Established Member
I changed my alternator the other day cause it was making this god awful rattling sound and when i took it off the pulley was flopping everywhere. So i went with a PA Performance alt. and its been two days since the swap and the sound is back...any ideas on what could keep causing this to do this?:shrug:

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
are all of the idler pulleys good? if so then you might just have a string of bad luck and the new one you have is a dud. good luck bro, my carquest alternator has been working perfect for over a year now "knock on wood" but if it ever goes out im going back to OEM.

deec73

Established Member
I changed my alternator the other day cause it was making this god awful rattling sound and when i took it off the pulley was flopping everywhere. So i went with a PA Performance alt. and its been two days since the swap and the sound is back...any ideas on what could keep causing this to do this?:shrug:

Not sure what could be your problem, but I do feel your pain as far as having to change it out. My power steering pump went out and its a pita to change. Even though all you gotta take off is that alternator bracket and one of the idlers bracket, its still aggrivating as hell.

cb739

Let's Get It!
Established Member
Does anyone know where i could get a stock alternator pulley or what size to buy? I took my belt off this morning and it feels like my pulley is ate up. Im still getting 14 volts when the car is on so my alt. is still good, hopefully its just a pulley problem.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Take the belt off and check all the pullies one by one. You may have a bad one somewhere adding strain to the belt.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hope it isn't your alternator. Sounds like it very well might be a pulley issue. But FWIT PA alternators are problematic. A lot of people here have had trouble with them. The only alternators I recommend are new Ford units and the Start 'N Charge.

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Please help! I have a horrible squeal on start up that would initally go away after a minute of warm up, but over the course of a couple months it has grown to squeal constantly and not go away even after the car is driven for a while. I thought for sure it was the alternator: replaced it but squeal is still there. Belt is new and when I changed the belt I rolled each pulley by hand to see if there was any hesitation, squeal, or anything that would indicate a bad pulley, but the idlers were smooth as silk. I am at a loss, as the car runs strong...it is mainly just a terribly annoying, loud, and embarrassing noise, but I worry whatever it is, it will eventually fail and something bad will happen. The sound appears to originate from the front of the engine and is painfully loud and squealing. Please note that the only idlers/pullies I was able to rotate by hand were the main ones...I cannot get to rear the idlers/pullies so i'm not sure if the problem originates from there although the A/C compressor is brand new and the power steering works fine. Also, the sound seems to originate from the center to front/right (if facing the engine - alternator side) of the engine. I know this is hard to diagnose, but the squealing is getting much louder, lasting much longer and I don't have money to give the car to Ford to diagnose....posting for help on SVTPerformance is my last resort. Can someone please reply at [email protected] or call me at 623-262-6003 if they have any ideas. I would be more than happy better describe or allow them to hear the sound through the phone if they would like. Please help! Thank you so much in advance. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Jpjr

Established Member
Please help! I have a horrible squeal on start up that would initally go away after a minute of warm up, but over the course of a couple months it has grown to squeal constantly and not go away even after the car is driven for a while. I thought for sure it was the alternator: replaced it but squeal is still there. Belt is new and when I changed the belt I rolled each pulley by hand to see if there was any hesitation, squeal, or anything that would indicate a bad pulley, but the idlers were smooth as silk. I am at a loss, as the car runs strong...it is mainly just a terribly annoying, loud, and embarrassing noise, but I worry whatever it is, it will eventually fail and something bad will happen. The sound appears to originate from the front of the engine and is painfully loud and squealing. Please note that the only idlers/pullies I was able to rotate by hand were the main ones...I cannot get to rear the idlers/pullies so i'm not sure if the problem originates from there although the A/C compressor is brand new and the power steering works fine. Also, the sound seems to originate from the center to front/right (if facing the engine - alternator side) of the engine. I know this is hard to diagnose, but the squealing is getting much louder, lasting much longer and I don't have money to give the car to Ford to diagnose....posting for help on SVTPerformance is my last resort. Can someone please reply at [email protected] or call me at 623-262-6003 if they have any ideas. I would be more than happy better describe or allow them to hear the sound through the phone if they would like. Please help! Thank you so much in advance. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

is something rubbing against your inner belt?

everything you have mentioned has been the outer belt. there are two belts.

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
is something rubbing against your inner belt?

everything you have mentioned has been the outer belt. there are two belts.

First, thank you for replying...I had to go to this post specifically to see if anyone replied and I'm glad i did otherwise I wouldn't have known...I thought when logging into SVTPerformance it would tell me if I received any replies to any thread I post to (I thought when making a post you are automatically subscribed to it and you receive alerts to additional posts to it - if that's the case, can you tell me how to get alerts to posts and how to subscribe to receive them?), but I guess not. Anyway, to answer your question I'm not sure - I am unable to fully see the inner belt...I can only observe the little bit you can see from top. The car has about 65K on it and the inner belt is original...does anyone have detailed instructions on how to replace it, i.e. all the stuff required to take off to get to it? I've been wanting to replace it for a long time and also check the inner idlers, but I'm apprehensive to start removing all the stuff in the front of the engine without having instructions on how to do it. I have a feeling the source of the squealing is back there, but I have no idea where to start in order to replace the belt and check! The car runs well, and I have a feeling the problem could very well be the 65K belt or idlers. If anyone has detailed instructions on the inner serpentine belt removal & replacement, PLEASE send me the link...Thank you all SO MUCH!

Users who are viewing this thread