Alternator Question 2008 Shelby

enormous

Established Member
A dead battery recently led me to think my stock 08 battery was done so I replaced it with a new fully charged battery only to find it dead again after soon after the swap.
This new problem makes me think that the alternator is done. I thought a alternator problem will throw a check engine light but I have no system alert light on the dash. Hmmm?
I am somewhat mechanically inclined, is swapping the alternator something that I can do at home in the garage. I just searched for How-To threads on swapping the GT500 alternator and came up empty. Can anyone please provide any tips to perform this job.
My plan is to purchase the stock alternator unit.
Thanks.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Tip 1: Unbolt the sway bar from the radiator support and let it hang. (4 nuts)
Tip 2: When reinstalling, insert the two adjacent bolts part way and hold them in place by wrapping a rubber band around the pair. After getting the bolts started, cut the rubber band off. (this will make more sense when you're doing the install)
Tip 3: Release belt tension from under the car.
Tip 4: Don't use a stock alternator. Get a PA, Nations, or Mechman. You'll be glad when you don't have to replace the stocker again.

Steve

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
If you have a competent alternator rebuild shop in your town, do that. Don't pay the criminal prices you see for aftermarket alternators. And yes, removal and replacement is a PITA because there's very little room to work, and you'll have to pull/push/twist that sucker to get it in and out.

I don't have the link handy, but VMP has a how-to on their website that was very helpful.

Last edited:

69b302

Established Member
I have gone thru several alternators and they all caused dash battery/alt light to come on. If you have added lots of additional draw(return fuel sys, heat exachanger fans, etc) you might need a higher output unit.

Imatk

Established Member
Man I wish I had thought of the rubber band thing.

I've done this job three times now and it sucks so bad that if I have to do it again I might just take it to the shop.

Although the rubber band trick might just make it bearable :)

enormous

Established Member
Thank-you all for the advice!
I just ordered a Mechman 250 AMP ELITE from VMP. I feel confident that this unit will outperform the rest.
My plan is to do it right the first time.

stsltd

Established Member
Just replaced the alternator in my 08 yesterday - just a couple of things to keep in mind -

you do need to work from both the top and bottom so be sure to get the car up in the air before you get started -

race ramps work perfect for this job

you do have to unbolt the front stabilizer, it just slides out of the way once the front bolts are removed

there are a couple of wire sets fastened to the back side, they just pull out

took about an hour and a half, could probably do it in an hour now, hopefully I wont have to find out anytime soon

went with a PA performance unit, bought from Lethal

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What about protecting the alt. from over spinning (excessive rpms) in the future. If excessive rpm's damaged previous alternators (which has been a common problem on our GT500's) are people also installing a larger diameter alt. pulley along with the replacement alternator?

Do the replacement aftermarket alternators come with a larger diameter pulley?

A bigger amp. alternator is great, but over spinning will most likely damage it too............

http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/

R

Last edited:

enormous

Established Member

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert, The Mechman Elite 250 Alternator that I just purchased from VMP has a underdrive pulley already pre installed.
Mechman uses high quality components that are superior to the Motocraft unit:
http://www.mechman.com/hairpin-stators-1/

To install The Mechman I just ordered their "BIG3" CABLE KIT $69.00 to replace the small factory wiring for piece of mind:
http://www.mechman.com/cable-kits/mechman-1-0-zero-gauge-alternator-cable-install-big-3-kit/

I knew the 200amp alts. use a larger gauge cable kit. Where does that attach? The alt. main post, but then to where, the fuse panel? or battery post?

I think that under drive pulley is going to be a big help for longevity of that alternator......

R

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
I knew the 200amp alts. use a larger gauge cable kit. Where does that attach? The alt. main post, but then to where, the fuse panel? or battery post?

I think that under drive pulley is going to be a big help for longevity of that alternator......

R

Yeah the Nations Alternator also uses a specific pulley for the alternator.

The extra wire can either attach to the fuse box (hot point) or the actual battery post.

I attached mine to the battery post

fullboogie

Established Member
Enourmous - don't be surprised if that 5ft positive battery cable doesn't reach the fuse box. You may have to swap the cables in that kit, i.e. use the negative cable for your positive run, and the positive cable for your negative run.

VNMOUS1

Established Member

R

The attachment is on the opposite side of a Mechman, thus the factory one won't work (plus it's not enough to handle 250 amps). Our Race Spec pulley is the standard way we order Mechman alternators. There is a 3-4 week lead time on these units. We carry both the alternator as well as the cable.

I run one on Christine.

It just works.

I've killed 2 Ford units and a PA over the years. Mechman and Nations are the way to go. Expensive as hell and worth it.

bj

enormous

Established Member
Thanks Fullboogie for the tip and after looking under my hood I ordered a 8 ft red positive cable from Mechman.

Last edited:

darkside323

Established Member
I've run a Nations for over a year and have had no problems what so ever. IWas pricey but my piece of mind out weights that since I'm doing more autocross and open track events. High RPM's kill the stock units.

enormous

Established Member
The Mechman 250 amp 6 phase alternator from VMP is in and the job was not difficult I found. Working from above with the filter removed I easily loosened the top two mounting bolts.

From below I pulled the sway bar aside by removing the 4 bolts and removed the lower alternator mounting bolt, positive cable and plug. It dropped out the bottom with some twisting.

Reinstalling the Mechman 250 was easy using the tip FullBoogie gave me to hold the upper two bolts in place with an elastic.

NOW, the HARD part. VMP specs the Mechman 250 with a larger underdrive pulley and it was a bitch to get it on using the stock accessary belt. I walked away twice swearing. It eventually went on using plenty of grunt. Wheeew that was tight.

I used BJ's (VMP) advice and used Mechman's BIG3 cable kit ($69). I ran the wiring parallel to the factory wiring and I had enough cable in their kit for this.

I later consulted with the head engineer at Mechman who advised me to run the zero gauge ground wire from a alternator bolt to the negative battery. A heavier cable should be used on any alternator above 160-180 amp he said.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread