Alternator issue?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I just put a battery in my car over the weekend and it was dead last night. Charged it up and it fired up but I noticed on my Aeroforce gauge the voltage was only right at 12v. So I'm assuming my alternator is shot. However I'm not having the battery light come on which others say they typically do? Which alternator do you recommend? Auto zone one or Ford or is there another option I'm unaware of. I need one by this weekend preferably. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

whi tri

Established Member
Save yourself the drama and get a mechman and if I remember right the light only comes on in the 11v range

MalcolmV8

Established Member
There are as many debates and opinions on alternators on this site as there are over which is the best oil? I've seen a lot of valid and good points about various products so you make your choice. Essentially no matter what alternator you get it will eventually fail so my opinion is why buy a $500 unit?

My theory is heat kills them because they sit right next to the exhaust manifold although I have no proof of that.

Myself I run an Advance Auto unit with a lifetime warranty. Knock on wood its been in there a couple years with no problems and if it ever does die I'll swap it for a free replacement. I can't see shelling out $500 for a special one and then doing it again in a couple years when it fails.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
If you go with a cheap warranty alternator, the first few may not work even though they are new/recently rebuilt. You may have to switch out 2 or 3 times, just be aware of that.

Users who are viewing this thread