Alternator is DEAD, How do I get car to shop?

res0n0xg

Established Member
Yes I can jump it, I actually did it twice trying to make it to the shop last Saturday and didn't make it in time before they closed :(.

I had to jump it two more ****ing times on the way home. I seriously let it sit and charge the battery for like 10 minutes.

Is there any way for me to get my car to the shop this weekend? Will a new battery do me any good or is my ****ing bad alternator just going to kill that too?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
If it`s not to far,charge it up.Make sure all accessories are off,radio a/c,etc.Can you change it yourself?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Just change it yourself. Pull your battery out of the way. That makes it a little easier. It isn't a big job at all.

res0n0xg

Established Member
Getting the belt on / off it shouldn't be a big deal? I figured it would be too much tension to deal with..... the main problem would be getting under the car, i have a jack, but for the life of me that doesn't get the car up high enough in the damn air for me to do anything but barely be able to change the oil.

wlg101190

Established Member
Very simple job as I just finished doing mine myself. As stated before, remove the battery, and the battery tray. As for the belt, this was the easiest part. Put a 1/2" ratchet into the tensioner and push it down and the belt should be loose. The rest is self explanatory as you just unbolt the 2 bolts and pull it out from the bottom. Best of luck!

Edit: Check this link out here.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Get some rhino ramps....best investment instead of jack stands for the front...I use them up front and jack stands in the back...very safe...

res0n0xg

Established Member
Very simple job as I just finished doing mine myself. As stated before, remove the battery, and the battery tray. As for the belt, this was the easiest part. Put a 1/2" ratchet into the tensioner and push it down and the belt should be loose. The rest is self explanatory as you just unbolt the 2 bolts and pull it out from the bottom. Best of luck!

Edit: Check this link out here.

I heard getting it off wasn't too bad, it was the putting it back on. I've done simple bolt on stuff only with my car, intake/exhaust really. Never touched the pulley stuff on it...

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
super simple! Hardest part for me was getting it out. I had to go down. Just put your car on jacks just in case. I should take an hour or so. Remove belt, remove battery, remove two bolts, flip it and remove harness. With the pulley facing down rotate it a bit so it will drop straight down and then pass it by bottom hose at a slight angle. Swap the pulley on the new one and put her in. Done. Easy.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
if you got a good charge on your battery you should be able to go 15 miles or so, thats as far as i made it, i did my alt myself, my bro took his to ford dealer for new alt and 1200dollars later his rear was feeling a little stretch out i bet for sure. i think 1200bucks for a alt should be criminal

Juruense

Banned
Hey OP this is a good chance to increase you mechanical abilities. Figure out a way to get the car up and DIY. If you get in a jam we will help you.

After you lift the car and before you get under it give it a good shake. If it is going to fall best that it happens at a time of your choosing :)

Last edited:

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
How to R&R the alternator.

I do these all the time from the top. Pull the battery and tray. Unbolt the coolant reservoir and PS reservoir move them out of the way with bungee cords (toward the pass side). Undo the wires at the back of the alternator. Undo the bracket that holds the PS lines to the frame rail. Undo bolts that hold the alt to the brackets. Drop the alt down a few inches. Undo the 4 10mm(?) bolts that hold the upper alt bracket to the motor and remove the bracket. Trust me, there are 4...1 just likes to hide. Now swing tha alternator forward with the pulley pointing up and wiggle like hell to get it out.:dancenana:

Install is just the reverse. To make it easier, tap the steel bushing that is in the upper alt bracket you pulled off forward a bit. That makes the alternator slide in easier. Don't worry, it moves back in place when you tighten the upper bolt in.:-D

Have fun.:bored:

Users who are viewing this thread