Altenator problems?

eXs Vp

03 dSg CoBrA
Established Member
I bought the car about a year and a half ago. I hadnt had any problems with it starting up or anything really until i had a radio and small system installed. Then all of a sudden it started having problems turning on. I had to jump it every day until I finally put the stock radio back on and took out the amp and sub and bought a new battery. It worked fine up until now. My girlfriend left her the car charger to her phone in it overnight and it's starting to have trouble again. So im thinking the altenator is not keeping the battery charged anymore. And I dont think a brand new battery would have gone out in 9 months. I have to jump it everytime I leave it off for a while. As soon as i put the cables on it will start..so wat do you guys think? Time for a new altenator?

MHShockey

Established Member
I had huge issues with my alternator when I had my cobra. I know a lot of people that have had issues with their alternators. I put a new alternator in mine and a few months later it went out again. The second time around I put a high output alternator in and didnt have any issues after that.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Ive been having lots of alternator problems too, this doesn't sound like any problem ive had. I always know when my alt is dying cause my dash lights go crazy and the radio will turn off and on. Then right before it dies the alt whines when i hit the gas and and it doesn't go anywhere.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Best bet is to have both alternator AND battery load-tested so you know where you stand.

Although Autozone does it for free, I'm continually less than impressed everytime I'm there and overhear their 'techs' spewing BS to customers.

Find a good auto electric shop and see if they'll test your stuff

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Although Autozone does it for free, I'm continually less than impressed everytime I'm there and overhear their 'techs' spewing BS to customers.
I agree, Autozone has really gone downhill in terms of customer service over the last 10 years. I will pretty much avoid going there unless it's one of those things that only they have.

03cobrah

Established Member
i've been having a crap load of problem with alternators specifically the ones issued to you from autozone, i had the lifetime warranty and went through about 3 in the last months, PITA to change too. the thing is the ones from auto zone put out 110 amps. the stock one is 130amps. save yourself the trouble and buy a aftermarket one, i bought jamies start n charge and haven't had any problems yet. knock one wood.

eXs Vp

03 dSg CoBrA
Established Member
It's crazy cause yesterday if i were to leave the car off for a while it would die. Today i wake up and it's starts with no problems. :/ damn cobras..haha

Users who are viewing this thread