Altcoin Discussion

velocicaur

Established Member
I started to look into it when bitcoin took off. I mean, I heard of bitcoin but I really didn't understand it. After reading a (little) bit, I liked the idea of buying cheaper altcoins. I ended up buying ripple and tron.

Some say it is a big risk. I feel like it is a little risk for a potential big reward. I'm not betting the house on it. I put a few hundred bucks in each and we'll see what happens. If it goes no where, so be it. If it takes off, well, that will be a bonus. I'm not looking for a quick buck, just going to let it ride and see what happens.

chris1badL

Established Member
Anyone buying in to the regular bitcoin stocks through the regular market? BTSC or BTCS. They are on the rise but never know if its a scam

cheemabd

Established Member
Blockfolio is good app to keep an eye on your alt coin that you guys have purchase.

Sent from my iPod touch using svtperformance.com

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
XVG is my main focus right now. Below is also a summary of what I would use for various things. I will more than likely open a Binance account. Also, I would very seriously look into the Ledger Nano is you aren't already using some form of cold storage.

XVG -https://vergecurrency.com/#about

Charts: TradingView
Fiat to crypto: Coinbase
Crypto to crypto: Bittrex/Binance/CryptoBridge/CoinSpot
Secure storage of crypto: Ledger Nano (Very Important)
Spending of crypto: TenX

upload_2017-12-24_21-34-14.png

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Blockfolio is good app to keep an eye on your alt coin that you guys have purchase.

Before I download it...do the alerts actually work? Coinbase’s don’t and that pissed me off something fierce.

velocicaur

Established Member
My biggest complaint about this whole process is that the exchange websites/storage websites seem incredibly shady. I put off buying for at least two weeks while trying to find a website that seemed somewhat legit and would not steal my identity the second I put it in... I have yet to go through the whole "verification" process where they ask for all your personal information.

I ended up ordering a nano a few days ago. I'm going to transfer all of my coins onto that and hope that if/when I cash out, there will be some better and safer options to deal with.

Man, verge really took off the last two weeks. You could buy it for a penny on the 12th and now it's over a quarter. Crazy climb!

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I tried out the nicehash miner. I like that you can toggle on/off what GPU's and CPU's you want to mine with. I had two GPU's and my CPU going and I was making about 5-6 dollars a day it said. I also see it pays out after I would hit 0.1BTC which was going to take a very long time to get there and I would have made about 146USD at time of payout(about 1 month). I did rough math and if VTC stays at 7 dollars I'd be making over 200 bucks a month. So I swapped back to mining VTC right now and I'm currently at 1.4 coins. If I don't turn the one click miner off to play games (which I do for 4-6 hours a day) I can usually mine about 1.3 coins in 24 hours. At current price that should be a little over 50 bucks a week. Since my computer runs fine as long as I don't try to play games or stream 1080P videos on the 42" display, I just let the miner do its thing while I browse the internet.

My biggest complaint about this whole process is that the exchange websites/storage websites seem incredibly shady. I put off buying for at least two weeks while trying to find a website that seemed somewhat legit and would not steal my identity the second I put it in... I have yet to go through the whole "verification" process where they ask for all your personal information.

I had the same concerns, I did some research on how people felt about various exchanges. I am signed up on Coinbase/GDAX because everyone I know personally who deals with coins is on those two sites and hasn't had a problem. I was going to verify on Poloniex which two of my coworkers use but it has absolutely horrible reviews so I didn't go through with the verification process.

I'm probably going to sign up on Binance some point this week (if any of you have a bad experience with Binance, please let us all know since it seems like a lot of us are either looking into it or on it), one of my friends just signed up on it as I was talking to him about it from this thread. I know he's also looking to move his money out of Coinbase and into Gemini.

We were also looking into getting a Trezor wallet. Looks like it supports a lot of altcoins and support for Vertcoin is on the roadmap.

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/wallets/trezor/

GodStang

Established Member

Thanks I will look into this app.

My biggest complaint about this whole process is that the exchange websites/storage websites seem incredibly shady. I put off buying for at least two weeks while trying to find a website that seemed somewhat legit and would not steal my identity the second I put it in... I have yet to go through the whole "verification" process where they ask for all your personal information...snip

I think one of the biggest issues is the US is a bit behind in the whole crypto market. All the apps and coins are all over seas. Asia is crazy about Altcoins and the US is just blah about it for the most part. Just like most new technologies it just seems like the US comes up last and then just buys someone elses.

velocicaur

Established Member
I used Binance today.

I had no problem with it receiving funds and exchanging currencies.

It requires the google authenticator to withdraw funds/transfer into another wallet.

Guess I'll have to mess with that later.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I used Binance today.

I had no problem with it receiving funds and exchanging currencies.

It requires the google authenticator to withdraw funds/transfer into another wallet.

Guess I'll have to mess with that later.

I setup Authy (https://authy.com) on my phone to manage that. It scanned the QR code from Binance into the app and sync'd the 2FA up. It's my understanding that the google 2FA doesn't sync across accounts, so if you lose your phone you're screwed. Authy will sync between my phone and computer via the Chrome app.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Just a word of warning, shapeshift.io seems a bit sketchy right now. I had a transaction fail and it didn't return the money to my return address. From what I understand, if it works, the return payment should be almost instant but it's been a few hours. I've submitted a ticket to the support team which could take 5-7 days for a reply then another 2-3 days for a refund.

Zemedici

Established Member
Just a word of warning, shapeshift.io seems a bit sketchy right now. I had a transaction fail and it didn't return the money to my return address. From what I understand, if it works, the return payment should be almost instant but it's been a few hours. I've submitted a ticket to the support team which could take 5-7 days for a reply then another 2-3 days for a refund.

what a logistical nightmare...was it a big transaction?

glad I stick with Binance

Users who are viewing this thread