Alright here's what I'm up to...would love some feedback!

ad2330

Established Member
So I'm a newbie to the Terminator, but wanted to post and let you know what I'm up to. I'm currently in the process of acquiring a Torch Red 10th Anniversary Vert from TexasSpeed (Todd).

How it happened: I threw up a WTB thread in The Market and he PM'd me with details on his car:

2003 10th Anniversary Convertible
13,300 miles, original owner car – I’m the 2nd
Torch Red w/Red & Black leather interior
Dyno'd 471/490

Current Upgrades
Borla Stinger cat-back
BBK off-road X pipe
MGW shifter
Optima battery
2.8" pulley
SCT custom chip
LFP intercooler
Sub-frame connectors
H&R Super Sport springs
Maximum Motorsport Caster/Camber plates
Mach 1 solid rear axle with Moser axles
Drilled/slotted Baer Eradispeed rotors
Metco 4-piece idler set
Metco tensioner bracket
Maximum Motorsports adjustable LCA's
J&M upper control arms
Maximum Motorsports isolators
Driveshaft safety loop
Russell braided brake lines
5% tint
JLT oil seperator
JLT pre-filter
Cobra grill emblem
Polished rear bumper letters
8" shorty antenna
JLT Ram Air Intake
Maximum Motorsports 3/8" wheel spacers
Lethal extended lug nuts
MMD hood raise kit
Saleen replica chrome wheels - 18x10/18x9
BFG KDW tires - 275-35-18
BFG KDW Drag radial tires - 295-35-18
SVT custom center caps
LFP Hood Vents
HPP Racing custom tune & plugs

Having gotten to know Todd a bit, this is definitely not his first rodeo when it comes to Cobra's (news to me, probably not to you), and so I've gotten quite comfortable with the car as he's presented it. I at first was NOT in the market for a convertible, but, this car is so damn clean and with such low miles that I sort of need to make an exception. I'm putting a deposit down with him and then hopefully the fun begins...

MY PLAN - Todd has a great relationship with HPP in DFW, and I'm really wanting a car that puts down approximately 600 whp. He recommended I look into the VMP blower, as I've really only known about the KB/Whipple options for this car. Well, the VMP is awfully impressive, and now that they've just released their new 2nd gen. blower, I believe I'll be going that route (with their fuel upgrade). Thoughts? What size pulley do you recommend to fun a very 'safe' 600 whp setup?

Finally, and ultimately, I'd like to run some CCW LM20's. I'd like to run 18x11 (R), 18x10 (F). Is this setup too agressive? Want to do the 315/30/18 R888's in back if possible.

Should be a fun ride, I think I may be divorced when I'm all done, though...:rolling:

Here's a pic of the car as she sits now:
6EB28B88-0827-421F-852B-AA4332F8557C_zpsaqpyxniv.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
Go e85 while your in there if you have the coin, it really is everything people make it out to be.

I'm not real impressed with hpp after a few guys I know got their tunes, if there aren't any good tuners locally look at a remote dyno tune....or I've heard kurgan goes into Iowa sometimes for tunes.

HandBanana

Established Member
Congrats on the successful search! Looks like an absolute beauty of a Cobra, with a solid mod list to boot!

I would get used to the car as it is, run it down the track or Mexican highway as a baseline for where you're at currently and then go from there for mods. I would suggest a TVS as Todd did as well, 60-80 lbs injectors, KB BAP, 2600-3000 SCT MAF for fuel to support the blower. Definitely a 2.80 to a 2.60 pulley to bump that boost up and take advantage of that 2.3

Wheel/tire options sound good.

BTW, why are you even looking into an antiquated Cobra when you have a freaking RS4???? Those cars are awesome.

Best of luck. Be safe out there.

ad2330

Established Member
Go e85 while your in there if you have the coin, it really is everything people make it out to be.

I'm not real impressed with hpp after a few guys I know got their tunes, if there aren't any good tuners locally look at a remote dyno tune....or I've heard kurgan goes into Iowa sometimes for tunes.

Can you expound on e85, and what exactly this mods constitutes?

ad2330

Established Member
Congrats on the successful search! Looks like an absolute beauty of a Cobra, with a solid mod list to boot!

I would get used to the car as it is, run it down the track or Mexican highway as a baseline for where you're at currently and then go from there for mods. I would suggest a TVS as Todd did as well, 60-80 lbs injectors, KB BAP, 2600-3000 SCT MAF for fuel to support the blower. Definitely a 2.80 to a 2.60 pulley to bump that boost up and take advantage of that 2.3

BTW, why are you even looking into an antiquated Cobra when you have a freaking RS4???? Those cars are awesome.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated.

And to the bold...no other reason except a Cobra has always been a bucket list car of mine and, well, I'v got a car problem (expensive freakin' hobby I know). And, when you can do a full build for $5k (ish), it's mind-blowing for someone in the Euro game.

APR blower for my RS runs $18k...

cj428mach

Established Member

A 2.6" pulley is probably a little much for pump gas. Is Nebraska a 91 state? or 93? Kansas is a 91 state so that means keep it at about 17psi or so......which would be a 3.0" pulley.

Can you expound on e85, and what exactly this mods constitutes?

You will need a fuel system large enough to handle the extra fuel that it takes to run e85 (Need an extra 30% more fuel approx.) This means you need bigger injectors, bigger pumps, and possibly a larger feed line. I'm going to say it'll probably cost you $2500 to get the best of best.....(return and ID1000 injectors) and you can probably do it on the cheap for about $1500 (staying returnless and 80's). Going e85 with a tvs on a 2.6" pulley which is perfectly safe on alcohol would get you about 700rwhp and would more than likely be safer than running it on gasoline at a lower PSI.

I made the switch to e85 last July and love it. The only part that sucks is the closest pump is 20 miles away but I'm in town weekly and pick up 5 gallons or so each time I'm there. Its worth almost any hurdle you have to jump to get to use the stuff.

Oh and unless I missed it I don't see a clutch upgrade there. I probably did close to 1000 miles of street driving on e85 at 650-700rwhp and when I pulled the clutch to upgrade it looked mint, but it only had 8989 miiles on it lol. You won't have to do a clutch immediately but it'll be next on the list.

Last edited:

atxjustice6r

Established Member
Wow I just stared at that pic for about 5 min. I too, would never own a convertible but this car just does it well with the TR/black top. Its ripe for a TVS swap and some CCW's. Definitely scoop that thing up. Mod list is very tasteful as well!

ad2330

Established Member
Wow I just stared at that pic for about 5 min. I too, would never own a convertible but this car just does it well with the TR/black top. Its ripe for a TVS swap and some CCW's. Definitely scoop that thing up. Mod list is very tasteful as well!

Thanks! Yeah, when he sent that pic I did the same, lol. It is a great looking car as it sits, but some CCW's/VMP blower would put it over the top.

You think chrome or satin black on the wheels?

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Beautiful car. I can't give you any advice on mods, but CCW's would be a nice touch to the car.

ad2330

Established Member
A 2.6" pulley is probably a little much for pump gas. Is Nebraska a 91 state? or 93? Kansas is a 91 state so that means keep it at about 17psi or so......which would be a 3.0" pulley.

You will need a fuel system large enough to handle the extra fuel that it takes to run e85 (Need an extra 30% more fuel approx.) This means you need bigger injectors, bigger pumps, and possibly a larger feed line. I'm going to say it'll probably cost you $2500 to get the best of best.....(return and ID1000 injectors) and you can probably do it on the cheap for about $1500 (staying returnless and 80's). Going e85 with a tvs on a 2.6" pulley which is perfectly safe on alcohol would get you about 700rwhp and would more than likely be safer than running it on gasoline at a lower PSI.

I made the switch to e85 last July and love it. The only part that sucks is the closest pump is 20 miles away but I'm in town weekly and pick up 5 gallons or so each time I'm there. Its worth almost any hurdle you have to jump to get to use the stuff.

Oh and unless I missed it I don't see a clutch upgrade there. I probably did close to 1000 miles of street driving on e85 at 650-700rwhp and when I pulled the clutch to upgrade it looked mint, but it only had 8989 miiles on it lol. You won't have to do a clutch immediately but it'll be next on the list.

We do have 93, it's limited, but it's here. Mostly 91.

Interesting. You've got me digging into E85 now, haha. Sounds like it's a pretty appealing alternative, but expensive to equip the fuel system properly. I've seen some guys claiming that the fuel causes corrosion of lines/tanks/pretty much anything...is there any truth to this? If that's really the case I'd be more than hesitant. Something tells me it's a far reach since so many seem to run the E85 setup.

cj428mach

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ile-tr6-plugs-and-summitt-10-mic-paper-filter

Here is a good thread on what e85 does to the fuel system. Really I could careless what it does to the system because its all aftermarket anyways on my car, but I will say that the stuff is really clean. The stuff I've disassembled looks great and I've never seen any crud in the fuel. I've read that most of the crud you'd find in the fuel was because e85 would "clean" out the deposits left by gasoline at the fuel stations since most of the tanks held gasoline before e85 came around.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
congrats on the almost purchase

I can lend some advice about the CCW's , I run classics on mine. There really is no reason to run the 18x10 up front....when you Call CCW you'll find that the standard cut for these cars is 18x9.5 front and 18x11 rears. The 315/30/18 r888 is a fantastic choice, and one of the more popular rear tires run. I made the decision to get 305/35/18 r888 in the rear and regret i did not go with the 315's

good luck

ad2330

Established Member
congrats on the almost purchase

I can lend some advice about the CCW's , I run classics on mine. There really is no reason to run the 18x10 up front....when you Call CCW you'll find that the standard cut for these cars is 18x9.5 front and 18x11 rears. The 315/30/18 r888 is a fantastic choice, and one of the more popular rear tires run. I made the decision to get 305/35/18 r888 in the rear and regret i did not go with the 315's

good luck

Nice, thanks for the info.

Would LOVE to see pics of your car!

landonvan

Established Member
I would not go e85. While it makes great power. Its horrible for all the internals of your fuel system. If you are going to drive the car a lot and there is e85 readily available then maybe. but not for a weekend driver. I have too many friends that went that route and it ended bad. It is great stuff but the long term effects may not be.

You will make your power goals easy and safe with 91 pump gas and the new tvs.

b_dike

Established Member
I would not go e85. While it makes great power. Its horrible for all the internals of your fuel system. If you are going to drive the car a lot and there is e85 readily available then maybe. but not for a weekend driver. I have too many friends that went that route and it ended bad. It is great stuff but the long term effects may not be.

You will make your power goals easy and safe with 91 pump gas and the new tvs.

You couldn't be further from truth there bud. Granted there are precautions that need to be taken, but e85 will run cleaner, stronger, and cooler than any pump gas. Not to mention the fact that it's nearly impossible to get detonation with it.

It'll be awesome if you could explain how e85 is horrible for the internals too... :shrug:

landonvan

Established Member
I'm sorry but no. E85 does burn cleaner. But does not run stronger. In fact you have to use 1.5 times more fuel to produce the same power as good gas. So you gas mileage goes down by a ton. Not that we care about that anyway. You get more power from it because you can run a lot more timing because it does run cooler.
And when I say internals I don't mean engine internals. I'm talking fuel system. Ethanol eats away rubber. So after awhile any rubber hoses,o-rings and such will fail. And if it sits for to long like over winter. It will turn to sludge. So all I'm saying is it is great if you have it readily available and your going to do a full conversion. IE more money.
For his power goals he can do it easy with pump gas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread