Alright Guys, I Need Some Advice ...

Cold Brew

Established Member
Yes, this is another "poopy shifting" thread, but I need to know what to do next.

My car has shifted poorly pretty much from day one, but continually gets worse. When I shift fast, there is a loud "CLUNK"... Like the whole car goes WHAM. This happens at any RPM range, I guess the higher the RPMs, the worse it is, but it is still really bad at say 3K RPM or less also. Does it in pretty much every gear, but 3rd being the worst by far. If Im crusing in 6th and want to go to 3rd to race somebody, it takes me a full second to get it in 3rd, just hits a wall, stays there for a sec then goes in.

I tried the Fiore Quadrant + Firewall Adjuster and that helped a LITTLE, but barely. Have MGW Shifter also.

What do you recommend I try next? Change tranny fluid? Maybe my clutch is going bad? How do I tell if my clutch is going bad? Im on stock clutch at 25K miles, no pulley. I rarely race the thing since the shifting is so shitty.

I'm so sick of this thing, never bothered to do performance upgrades because if I cant shift then whats the point?

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
It is sad the transmission in the Terminators feels like it came from an old allis chalmers tractor.

Sounds like a clutch not disengaging all the way.

Cold Brew

Established Member
Zorabot said:
It is sad the transmission in the Terminators feels like it came from an old allis chalmers tractor.

Sounds like a clutch not disengaging all the way.

How would I go about fixing that? The clutch engages at the way top of the pedal

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like your clutch to me. I had a similar issue when I downshifted to 3rd at high RPMs. Adjusting the stock clutch didn't help at all. With lower rpms there was never a problem. However, before I installed a new clutch I sold the car.

How many miles on your car? And has the problem really been there from day 1 or has it gotten progressively worse with time/miles?

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I would say maybe your syncros but since it is every gear your best bet would be clutch. What is with the termis and their shifting??? I have the same kind of issues and so does a lot of other people.

Cold Brew

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Sounds like your clutch to me. I had a similar issue when I downshifted to 3rd at high RPMs. Adjusting the stock clutch didn't help at all. With lower rpms there was never a problem. However, before I installed a new clutch I sold the car.

How many miles on your car? And has the problem really been there from day 1 or has it gotten progressively worse with time/miles?

It has been there since I got the car with 8K miles, but it has definitley gotten progressively worse over time.

Is there anyway I could figure out if my clutch needs replacing?

03CobraVertGrey

Screamin Banshee
Established Member
If your clutch is engaging right at the top of the peddle that could be a sign, however, mine, at 13K, and with the fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster releases/engages about 1/4 from the top of the pedal. The Fiore mod improved my shifting considerably and i don't even have an MGW shifter which is supposedly the best for these cars.

To where did you adjust your firewall adjuster?

Cold Brew

Established Member
03CobraVertGrey said:
If your clutch is engaging right at the top of the peddle that could be a sign, however, mine, at 13K, and with the fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster releases/engages about 1/4 from the top of the pedal. The Fiore mod improved my shifting considerably and i don't even have an MGW shifter which is supposedly the best for these cars.

To where did you adjust your firewall adjuster?

I adjusted it that way. Just saying that to note that the adjustment isnt way at the bottom that I might not be getting the clutch disengaged all the way.

Cold Brew

Established Member
Seems to get better when the car is warmed up, but it is still terrible.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
If it releases all the way at the top odds are that you are getting it disengaged all the way by pushing the pedal to the floor.

Cold Brew

Established Member
Zorabot said:
If it releases all the way at the top odds are that you are getting it disengaged all the way by pushing the pedal to the floor.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I dont know what to do at this point:shrug:

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
How many miles on the car ?
I have 36k on mine and the clutch engages right at the top and it slipped and smoked a little doing a brakestand today.
Mine also shifts like poop, I drove a friends 3000 grandma mile termie and it shifted like a dream with the shit stock shifter. I have an MGW. I have to give a FIRM push to get it into gear from nuetral, once I'm rolling it shifts out fine
IMO

My shift knob has a snake(?) on it and sometimes I think I'm in the wrong spot for reverse cause it dont go in right away :) STUPID CLUTCH WHAT IS THIS A MACK TRUCK

Cold Brew

Established Member
Zorabot said:
How many miles on the car ?
I have 36k on mine and the clutch engages right at the top and it slipped and smoked a little doing a brakestand today.
Mine also shifts like poop, I drove a friends 3000 grandma mile termie and it shifted like a dream with the shit stock shifter. I have an MGW. I have to give a FIRM push to get it into gear from nuetral, once I'm rolling it shifts out fine
IMO

My shift knob has a snake(?) on it and sometimes I think I'm in the wrong spot for reverse cause it dont go in right away :) STUPID CLUTCH WHAT IS THIS A MACK TRUCK

28K on my car, literally babied almost all the time, so I cant see the clutch being bad.

Mine is hard to push into gear from neutral also, what gives?

Users who are viewing this thread