ALRIGHT GUYS CLUTCH TIME NEED OPINIONS PLEASE

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Thomas Morgan

so dana do you reccomend the centerforce like killabyte does
thomas

At this point, I have no recommendation. I chose the CenterForce based on research I did and people I talked to. None of them had had this clutch in an '03 Cobra at that point though, and accumulated any miles on it.
So, as usual, another big experiment in the works for me and several others now too.

I also went with an iron flywheel, as an experiment, as have a few others. This is still a debatable choice.

I'll know more in a few months, after the streets are useable and the clutch is broken in properly. This seems to be a VERY big issue with the aftermarket clutches. Break them in correctly and you will be much more satisfied.
The only thing I can say is the pedal effort is significantly less and I think that can be attributed to the design of the fingers on the cover.

Several owners are testing several brands. If you can wait for a while there may be more definitive results.

Dana

trey193

Established Member
Maybe so Engcon, I will look back into specs, before you spoke highly about them I had ruled them out.

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Thomas... talk to HAMMER on the ModularFords.com forum. He has been through more clutches that most of us combined. I think he has his '03 cobra running mid 10s in the 1/4.

After doing some research, i'm going with the McLeod Twin-Disc + TOB + Steel Flywheel + 26-spline input shaft. All should be in next weekend. This car is my daily driver, as well as a track car. I just want to build it once and build it right.

JWC

Established Member
KllaBytE, keep us posted on your McLeod set up. I am having my KB installed next week and may need a new clutch. I already have 11,000 miles on the stock one with the 2.80 and it's still going strong.

jtfx6552

Established Member
My Spec sage 3 "Hybrid" is slipping. I was very careful to break it in properly, did about 700 miles city driving, but it still slips.

I did get a 1.666 60 ft with it.

It seems to slip when shifting. I shift foot on the gas,maybe the diaphram spring doesn't want to come back? I'm debating whether to swap in a regular stage 3 disc, or switch to something else (centerforce or McLeod).

I think the McLeod should be good, but right know they don't have a sprung hub, which makes them real hard on input shafts and half shafts.

Last edited:

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
well thanks guys i guess we can keep this thread going and more members will chime in with their opinions i will be more than happy to hear all of them .

thanks all of you guys for the help. i am just like killabyte this is my daily driven car so i want to do this once within a reasonable price and not be buying new clutches all the time

thomas

CobraBri

Established Member
The more I read about clutches for this car, the more confused I get :shrug: :??: :??: :??: I plan on upgrading to a Procharger, so I figured on Centerforce DF or a Spec 3. Seems the Spec 3 isn't going to last though from what others here are experiencing. The Centerforce is a bit of a mystery to me, but comes highly recommended by a few. The Mcleod is just too damn expensive, and doesn't sound like it will make for a very good street clutch. My car is a daily driver, and will see very little track time.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBri
The more I read about clutches for this car, the more confused I get :shrug: :??: :??: :??: I plan on upgrading to a Procharger, so I figured on Centerforce DF or a Spec 3. Seems the Spec 3 isn't going to last though from what others here are experiencing. The Centerforce is a bit of a mystery to me, but comes highly recommended by a few. The Mcleod is just too damn expensive, and doesn't sound like it will make for a very good street clutch. My car is a daily driver, and will see very little track time.
Expensive? $850 or so for the clutch and steel flywheel really isnt that out of line, especially considering the power it can hold. I know a few locals using the mcloed and report no drivability issues that would affect a daily driver.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Expensive? $850 or so for the clutch and steel flywheel really isnt that out of line, especially considering the power it can hold. I know a few locals using the mcloed and report no drivability issues that would affect a daily driver.

That's what I was wondering, driveability. I really want the Mcloed but I also want to be able to cruise with it. My car will be about 80% street 20% drag. I want a reliable clutch that will hold up to the future mods.

lethal

Established Member
Would anyone recommend upgrading to a spec III (or IIIi) with the mods in my sig. I don't plan any huge power adders (KB / Whipple / Procharger). I'll probably port the Eaton and try to make it to 500rwhp.

The reason I ask is that my car is in for the tick swap and the mechanic called me while they had the engine out. The clutch shows signs of wear and they recommended replacement. Of course, they wanted my authorization so they could charge me $780 for replacement parts.

I declined after talking to the service advisor. Its used (duh, 16.5K miles) and I expect to do the ported Eaton, Qa1 shocks, and transmission work (26 spline conversion). I'll probably start beefing it up by the end of the year, at about 30K miles. For now, I just want a reliable daily driver.

So what do you guys recommend?

Thanks-

John

Rwick7

Established Member
I'm gonna try the spec 3i ... what the hell

If Engcon uses a spec...they must hold up reasonably well :beer:

trey193

Established Member
I am going Centerforce! :) JT among others using and having trouble with the specs turned me away!

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
so, how much more would a viper-spec input shaft be? parts & labor?
The 26 spline from liberty is approx $250 delivered. If the tranny is already out it shouldnt take more than 30-45 minutes to swap the shaft.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
My Spec sage 3 "Hybrid" is slipping. I was very careful to break it in properly, did about 700 miles city driving, but it still slips.

I did get a 1.666 60 ft with it.

It seems to slip when shifting. I shift foot on the gas,maybe the diaphram spring doesn't want to come back? I'm debating whether to swap in a regular stage 3 disc, or switch to something else (centerforce or McLeod).

I think the McLeod should be good, but right know they don't have a sprung hub, which makes them real hard on input shafts and half shafts.

Exactly the same problem I had with my Spec. 3 passes and it was slipping on shifts. I actually drove 1200 miles to break it in. Called Spec and they said they would warranty it if, in fact, it was the clutch and not the flywheel. I was on the way down to pull it when I wrecked the thing :xpl: Oh, well, we'll see when it gets fixed if they will warranty it. If not, I think I am going back to stock, it lasted longer.

Users who are viewing this thread