ALRIGHT GUYS CLUTCH TIME NEED OPINIONS PLEASE

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
HERE IS THE STORY I WAS AT THE TRACK LAST NIGHT AND I HAD MY NEW NITTOS AND I WAS RUNNING 5 MPH SLOWER THROUGH THE QUARTER. I AM ALMOST CERTAIN IT HAS GOTTA BE MY CLUTCH. I KNOW SOME WOULD SAY IT COULD BE THE TEMP, BUT IT WAS JUST AS COLD THIS TIME AS THE LAST AND I JUST COULDN'T GET GOOD AS GOOD OF TIMES AS I DID LAST TIME WITH MY F1'S. I WAS PISSED.

WELL I AM LOOKING AT GETTING A SPEC STAGE 3 ($359) WITH THE lightweight clutch option for an extra $79

let me know what you guy's opinions are.
thanks for the help

Thomas

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
If you plan on upping your power much I would say go with a McLeod and while the tranny is out drop in a 26 spline input shaft....make sure to get a clutch for a 26 spline as well of course..

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Another option is the CenterForce Dual Friction. I have just installed one and because the weather is so bad, I can't comment on its performance, other than to say the pedal pressure is greatly reduced over a stock clutch.

Dana

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
ok first question to maoun ok what is the 3i?

second question to shadowgray 03 where can i get a good priced mcleod clutch and where can i get a 26 spline input shaft?

third ? how do i find out how to do the apten cooling mod?

final question which is better the centerforce, the mcleod or the spec stage 3?

thanks guys

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
If you plan on upping your power much I would say go with a McLeod and while the tranny is out drop in a 26 spline input shaft....make sure to get a clutch for a 26 spline as well of course..

exactly. that's what i'm doing (should be done next weekend).

it really depends though, is your car a daily driver or a drag racer? if daily driver, go with the Centerforce D/F, it's streetable. If drag racer, go with the McLeod (harder to slip and pedal is stiffer). i hear all spec clutches chatter pretty bad... never tried one though.

you can call up D&D Performance to get yourself a clutch, and Liberty Gear for a 26-spline input shaft. Do a search for these names, phone numbers have been posted before on this forum.

BTW.. 3i is just an "upgraded" version of the spec stage 3. don't think there's much difference between the two, though.

Last edited:

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
thanks killabyte for the info i guess i will go with a centerforce d/f since it is my daily driver as well as my drag race car

so d & d performance for the center force and liberty gear for the input shaft. i am guessing that d&D carries a centerforce that works with a 26 spline input shaft.

is this the combo you are going with?

does d&d have a website, same ? for liberty gear

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
Originally posted by Thomas Morgan
thanks killabyte for the info i guess i will go with a centerforce d/f since it is my daily driver as well as my drag race car

so d & d performance for the center force and liberty gear for the input shaft. i am guessing that d&D carries a centerforce that works with a 26 spline input shaft.

is this the combo you are going with?

does d&d have a website, same ? for liberty gear

help:shrug:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Here's the info on Liberty:

Liberty's High-Performance Products
6390 Pelham Road
Taylor, Michigan 48180
(313) 278-4040

With shipping, should be right around $250

Tell them you are inquiring about the 26 spline input shaft conversion. They are decent people and will work with you.

Dana

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
Spec 3 is good stuff!

and

keyboard4.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
yah i had a king cobra in my 93 cobra with spray it was a good clutch but i would imagine it is a little outdated.

so dana do you reccomend the centerforce like killabyte does
thomas

EngCon

Established Member
I would go with a Spec III or IIIi. Pedal effort is like stock but just a lot more holding power. The IIIi is rated for 850ft/lbs I think, and the III is rated at 695ft/lbs. Both of these clutches will be good for about 650 hp with a full weight car (3800lbs+). Both of these clutches can be slipped like stock but they want to grab considerably harder than stock. I never had any chatter with either of these setups. Good luck with whatever setup you use.

Jay

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
cool thanks man i am trying to get lots of opinions on what clutch to go with basically i am looking at a spec stage 3 or 3i , i don't know the difference. or i am gonna go with a centerforce. either way i am gonna get a 26 spline input shaft and try to do the apten ds head cooling mod
thomas:rockon:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Thomas Morgan
cool thanks man i am trying to get lots of opinions on what clutch to go with basically i am looking at a spec stage 3 or 3i , i don't know the difference. or i am gonna go with a centerforce. either way i am gonna get a 26 spline input shaft and try to do the apten ds head cooling mod
thomas:rockon:
Unless I am mistaken, the 3i was specs attempt at making a clucth stand up to high powered cobra's. Once you start looking at swapping blowers (or doing heavy massaging of the one you have) and break the 550rwhp/tq numbers finding a clutch to hold the power and still be streetable(ie wont chatter uncontrollably, is slipable for daily driving) has proven dificult. Hammer smoked his spec 3i first time at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread