Almost banned at LACR

stang99

I asked the techs about LACR's policies if you run faster than 12.000. They stated that even an 11.999 will get you an official warning and you will be told not to run anymore that day unless you have all the required safety equipment. If you return after the warning and run sub 12.000 without the safety equipment, you will be banned for one year from all NHRA tracks because LACR will ban you and, by rule, send a letter to the NHRA informing them of the ban. So, if I ever run an 11 I will be tossed for the day and then I will never be able to do it again unless I get the roll bar; harness; and jacket.
Here's my slip that started me thinking (it's a PModdy photo at the track)
BTW: Conditions were perfect at the track and the DA was about 2500' per FiveOhDean who has a portable weather station now.

stang99

That James is a sick puppy. Begging rides at the strip and then he would not give the car back. Just one more run, he'd say. The man needed a fix bad. But, he was the only Cobra in the 11's this trip out.
Allan was still tuning up on the ET Streets since they apparently were wiggling around and acting like slicks with 14 psi in them.
PModdyMachMech was solidy in the 13's at consistent runs over 100 mph on a basically stock Mach.
FiveOhDean ran his four wheel drive F-250 4 door. I'll let him post his times, but his new weather station that computes DA on the spot was way cool.
LACR was perfect. T-shirt temps and the track was hooking like fly-paper. I launched so hard on my final pass that my clutch went and it would not go into 2nd. 1.781 60' time on my bald Nittos. I had to sneak home on back roads since they were as bald as slicks. They seems to hook better at the track when they are bald (three 60' times under 1.80).
It's days like this that make me keep coming back for more drag racing.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Wow. Congrats guys. I'm glad you had a good time. While you guys were out there having fun, I was nice and cozy asleep in my bed. I would imagine the event was half way over by the time I rolled out of bed.

P, it would've been nice to run against you today. I'm sure I would've come away with a new personal best as well. With the ET Streets, I'm pretty sure I could've taken you. Once I get my blower back from Apten, I'll need a cage to run at LACR. ;-)

03DOHC

Established Member
What kind of wx computer does he have that computes the DA? BTW, congrats on almost getting the boot. I'm hoping that happens to me and then I can retire from drag racing. :) Do I sound like you now P? hehe.

stang99

You'll have to worry about fast Lightnings and George and Allan. I will not be in your class. I am as close to the 11's at LACr as I will ever be. But the 117.2 was also sweet. ET Streets would have put me in the 11's for sure today. But, I no longer wish to get banned now that I know how it all works.
I'll be in the stand cheering you guys on. But, I would like one more shot at Carlsbad when they run another Outlaw event. I can change to my Nittos at the track and they may have one or two runs left on them before they start to show cords.
It was the most traction that I have ever felt at LACR today. Absolutely gummy.

Originally posted by SonicVenum
Wow. Congrats guys. I'm glad you had a good time. While you guys were out there having fun, I was nice and cozy asleep in my bed. I would imagine the event was half way over by the time I rolled out of bed.

P, it would've been nice to run against you today. I'm sure I would've come away with a new personal best as well. With the ET Streets, I'm pretty sure I could've taken you. Once I get my blower back from Apten, I'll need a cage to run at LACR. ;-)

03DOHC

Established Member
Holy crap Dave! Are you using ET Streets with that 6000rpm drop? You know Mach 1 guys are snapping their axles right? Did you go with 31 spline axles? Are you?

stang99

I did the weather underground thing and the DA converter and it said that my run converted to [email protected] based upon a DA of 2983' at the time I made my run. FiveO will have to chime in on the weather station, but it is about the size of a cell phone and once you enter the track altitiude into it it samples the temp,humidity and pressure and calculates the DA. It also has a little fan in it that measures the wind direction and speed. It must have cost a a bundle but it was a present to FiveO so he allegedly does not know the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

stang99

No. I really am retiring from racing the car. It has over 39000 miles on it now and the Nittos are bald and worn out. It has gone fast enough to represent for a West Coast car driven by an elderly old man who has no reflexes, and, it is a nice daily driver. I really don't want to get banned since I might want to go take a run ocassionally. The Cobra has exceeded my expectations. One more trip to Carlsbad and that's it.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
What kind of wx computer does he have that computes the DA? BTW, congrats on almost getting the boot. I'm hoping that happens to me and then I can retire from drag racing. :) Do I sound like you now P? hehe.

stang99

You need to change your sig again. And, you should also tell what your better times were on DR's, for those who are curious about if the Mach1 is real or not, which it definitely is.

Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
LACR - 01.11.03 - TnT / Saturday 65 - 55F
Nothing changed, 3320lbs weight ( + / - ). 1580miles
R/T ... 60' ..... 330' ... 1/8th .. MPH ..... 1/4th .... MPH
.490 / 2.216 / 6.069 / 9.220 / 78.637 / 14.129 / 100.855
.857 / 2.155 / 5.981 / 9.130 / 78.596 / 14.038 / 100.920
.809 / 2.113 / 5.948 / 9.114 / 78.309 / 14.036 / 100.550
.712 / 2.226 / 6.042 / 9.171 / 79.312 / 14.034 / 101.571
.514 / 2.193 / 5.993 / 9.124 / 78.922 / 14.017 / 101.168
.700 / 2.130 / 5.949 / 9.095 / 78.708 / 13.990 / 100.904

Best on OE tires...
.624 / 2.143 / 5.891 / 9.027 / 78.835 / 13.932 / 100.654

:rolleyes: I should really push my self to get used to the R/T & get into Bracket Racing :bash:

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
Nice runs! That's about as close as I
would do it. Don't wanna get a rep with
NHRA :uh oh: .

Dan, do you know if Sac has the same
policy?

Looking at the pics...who's vert is that?
They must have a roll bar right? Or
how is the owner not getting the
boot for under 14sec runs?

:shrug:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
my first time at lacr was a blast! :rockon: the weather was outstanding and the prep was good. thanks to sensei tetge for the tips and pmoddy and omslaw for the mech help. it was also nice to see jh even though the last thing he said to me as he walked away w/ my keys was "if i break anything i'll get the truck and we can tow you." ;-) i'm officially going to request the transfer of the name "piggie vert" as i got to weigh the car at the track. 3790#!!! so w/ me in the car, it really is 2 tons of fun. anyway... it was weird not worrying about the hop w/ the et streets but it is trippy swaying back and forth going down the track.

my best was [email protected] w/ a 2.12 60'. not great but getting better. one of these days i'll learn how to get a decent short time.

now i gotta go tend to this sore throat... being sick sucks.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
:rockon: Yeah Baby....i found it :D

Sorry but no sound....Allan if you dont mind ;-)

Got the both of u doing some crazy long smoooooky burnouts & good times i might add :thumbsup:

sweet! send it on over. :D

stang99

Thanks to PModdy here is a shot of my best and also Allan's car about to run me down like rabbit running from Cougar.
The sign says: [email protected] (them KB cars is fast!) vs [email protected]. I could sense something coming up on me and it really helped me throw the shifts to stay in front:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Wait that run that you & P did was ur best ???

Nice then....Side By Side racing does work :beer: :rockon:

Yes sent to Allan@xxxxxx ;-)

BTW thanks for the Springs. Not sure if they will drop it or not but we shall see. :rockon:

the run right before i raced p was my best by .008. damn that old guy can bang the gears! :rockon:

stang99

The KB car was hauling right after the 60' mark. 93.385 at 2710' in the 1/8 is cooking. He took 4.123 sec and gained 26.342 mph in the second 1/8 vs my 4.243 sec with a 26.837 mph gain. Some of his advantage was in the 3 mph speed advantage he was carrying at the 1/8th, but, my 4.10's still gained more mph from the 1/8th to the end than he did. 4.10's work really well on a 12 flat stock Eaton Cobra at LACR.

Users who are viewing this thread