All aluminum flywheels created equal?

My96z

Established Member
Went over to look at my car thats getting a headgasket and longtubes and a few other minor things... My tuner told me my clutch and flywheel wasnt in that great of shape and showed them to me. Looks like somone had swapped a stock heavy (cast iron or steel?) flywheel in at one time with an over the counter clutch kit.

I am going to go with a ProMotion clutch and leaning toward a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Are there any that I should avoid? What does an OEM stock aluminum one cost? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

TRBO VNM

I just installed the PMP clutch with fidanza aluminum flywheel and is the third setup I have done in two weeks and have two more waiting to go in. I really like that setup and will be doing it on mine soon

My96z

Established Member
I just installed the PMP clutch with fidanza aluminum flywheel and is the third setup I have done in two weeks and have two more waiting to go in. I really like that setup and will be doing it on mine soon

Thanks! Thats what I wanted to hear. How do you like those PMP clutches? I am going to try to get ahold of them on Monday to talk to them and order. They ship fast?

You have a PM.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Went over to look at my car thats getting a headgasket and longtubes and a few other minor things... My tuner told me my clutch and flywheel wasnt in that great of shape and showed them to me. Looks like somone had swapped a stock heavy (cast iron or steel?) flywheel in at one time with an over the counter clutch kit.

I am going to go with a ProMotion clutch and leaning toward a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Are there any that I should avoid? What does an OEM stock aluminum one cost? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff

The stock flywheel is aluminum and weighs only 11 lbs. :banana:

If it was steel then someone put an aftermarket flywheel on your engine.

The Fidenza is suppose to be a pretty good flywheel from what I have seen and heard. Just make sure it's as light as possible which will sap less power off the engine

My96z

Established Member
Yes, I meant an OEM flywheel off somthing else other than a cobra lol. I know that the 4.6's also had steel flywheels. It said "Modular" on the back of it. There was no way that thing was only 11lbs.

I definatey want an aluminum one this time around. ACT has a sexy Prolight fw but I think that sucker is too light.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yes, I meant an OEM flywheel off somthing else other than a cobra lol. I know that the 4.6's also had steel flywheels. It said "Modular" on the back of it. There was no way that thing was only 11lbs.

I definatey want an aluminum one this time around. ACT has a sexy Prolight fw but I think that sucker is too light.

An NA car will probably benefit from a heavy steel flywheel to help the engine overcome inertia. The stump pulling bottom-end of a PD blown car needs no help in that department :mj:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I just had a Promotion clutch and fidanza flywheel installed about 4 weeks ago. So far I'm liking it, still breaking in the new clutch.

My96z

Established Member
I have been talking to ProMotion today. I am getting thier 650 kit ordered. Wally is a good dude to talk to.

My96z

Established Member
He really knows his stuff. He hooked me up with all new bolts, shim, clutch, PP, pilot bearing, alignment tool and TOB for about $420 shipped.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Why do you like these over the Mcleoud twin disk that have been so popular?

It all depends on what people are going to need. Someone making 500-600hp does not need to spend the money on a twin disc. Especially if they are still 10 spline. Most all aftermarket clutches are a lighter pedal effort. There is no need to go twin disc for just that. People need to man up.

You basically double the cost of the clutch if not triple or more by going twin. Most people don't have a open checkbook. Adding the 26 spline conversion and then going twin disc just kills a budget fast.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It all depends on what people are going to need. Someone making 500-600hp does not need to spend the money on a twin disc. Especially if they are still 10 spline. Most all aftermarket clutches are a lighter pedal effort. There is no need to go twin disc for just that. People need to man up.

You basically double the cost of the clutch if not triple or more by going twin. Most people don't have a open checkbook. Adding the 26 spline conversion and then going twin disc just kills a budget fast.

My check book is definitely not open which is still why it hasn't been up your way getting the full FTBR yet! But I already have a 26 spline and running jsut a spec 3. Not really happy with how it feels but would love to drive a car with a promotion or twin disk for comparison. Ive heard nothing but good things about the twin disk which is why I considered it. I prefer to just save up and spend the coin once and do it right if I can. $500 more isnt going to hurt me that much since my cobra isn't my DD anyway. Just keeping my options open and learning along the way. No matter what my next big mod is the Full FTBR with deluxe bumpster..... Mark my word. The day will come where i let you know to order the parts!

TRBO VNM

No prob. Not saying you had an open checkbook, just a figure of speech. I like saving people money. So if there is something that works for someone's application and I can save them money in the process, I am all fr it.

This 650hp clutch from Promotion has the smooth engagement like factory, but hold good power. No chatter.

Users who are viewing this thread