All 99/01 cobra owners come in

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
ok guys im buying a 01 cobra and i was wondering i herd that the 01 motors are not as good or cant handle the power liek the 03's but i wanna either add a kb or a procharger ot it i wanna make around 500-650 rwhp now will that motor hold up? what do you guys have and what power and track numbers are you runing if you guys can help i would really me thankful.

Hepcat007

Established Member
You can make that kind of power, but you really need to get forged internals if you intend to do so. If you do not get forged internals, be sure you have money for a rebuild when you get a supercharger because you are playing russian roulette. You can make about 425 with a conservative tune with a p1sc, but as most people on this board say..."if you supercharge it, its not a question if you engine will go, its a question of when it will go." Thats the delima i am in now, do i do it? or just trade it in on an 03-04 that already has a supercharger and forged internals.

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Hepcat007
You can make that kind of power, but you really need to get forged internals if you intend to do so. If you do not get forged internals, be sure you have money for a rebuild when you get a supercharger because you are playing russian roulette. You can make about 425 with a conservative tune with a p1sc, but as most people on this board say..."if you supercharge it, its not a question if you engine will go, its a question of when it will go." Thats the delima i am in now, do i do it? or just trade it in on an 03-04 that already has a supercharger and forged internals.

true but i thought the 01 cobra crank is forged already so i will only have to buy rods and maybe pistons? the crank should hold up or will it how much power about will it hold up?

Cobra4pt6

Banned
well at 650rwhp on stock bottom end, that motor wont live more than 2 hours......at 500+rwhp, i give it a couple of months and under 450rwhp with a conservative tune, i give it a couple of years

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
so you are saying all the guys on this site that have 99/01 cobras running 450 or more rwhp have motor work like internals(rods crank pistons) if so tell me what setups you guys have

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Putting that kind of power on the stock hyperpathetic pistons and powdermetal rods is asking for a quick rebuild. The block and crank can easily handle the power - the pistons and rods cannot, at least not reliably and not for long.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The 96-99 CObra block was built by Teksid in Italy, who also builds Ferrari's stuff. They are significantly stronger and can handle 900 hp everyday, and 1200-1500 in a race only block that does not see boost every day. The 01 Cobra block has a tendencey to split in the valley above 600-650 hp.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 99COBRA2881
Weren't the 01 blocks cast at the windsor plant?

Yes. But the alloy that was used, as well as the design were fouled.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i have an 01 wap block and its been ok.

you will need forged pistons and rods if u want it to live over 500rwhp for a while.

don't forget head and main studs and billet oil gears

dtd01svt

Established Member
The setup in my sig. lasted for about 1 yr. Im now rebuilding and going forged. Save yourself some time, aggravation, and $$ just rebuild and go forged BEFORE you add the supercharger. And yes make sure you use ARP bolts and studs and definitely add the billet oil pump gears. As for recommending someone to do the work, I've heard everything good and nothing bad about VT Engines. Thats who Im going with. Good luck!

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by HISSMAN
How much power are you planing on making??

well im looking for a everyday driver and about 500 to 650 rwhp with either a kb or procharger

and as of the pistons and rods they are crapy so the crank is still good?i am looking up rods and i see like ibeam of h beam for like under 500$ and just about the same for the pistons, so the crank is forged how much can it handle?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I beam rods can handle more, but if you are staying under 700 HP the 03/04 cobra Manley rods should be just fine. They are H-Beam, and are about half the price of a good I-beam. I would also look into a good Forged piston like JE. Look for a set with about a 17cc dish. These will help with the high boost on a daily driver. If you go with these items there is no reason your bottom end should not last. But the block is the big "?". You may want to see if you can find a Teksid block somewhere just for insurance. It would be priced anywhere from $800-$1200. If you are going to break everything down anyways you might as well save up and build one to last. You can still probably sell your 01 block for around $400-$600 and help cover some of the cost. You will be approaching the known limits of the WAP 01 block, so it will be a gamble, and if that block splits it will most likely destroy everything in it. Having said that it may be cheaper for you to just sell your engine as is, and buy a longblock and stick a blower on it. You would really save on labor pay unless you are able to assemble the engine yourself. Hope this helps a little.

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by HISSMAN
I beam rods can handle more, but if you are staying under 700 HP the 03/04 cobra Manley rods should be just fine. They are H-Beam, and are about half the price of a good I-beam. I would also look into a good Forged piston like JE. Look for a set with about a 17cc dish. These will help with the high boost on a daily driver. If you go with these items there is no reason your bottom end should not last. But the block is the big "?". You may want to see if you can find a Teksid block somewhere just for insurance. It would be priced anywhere from $800-$1200. If you are going to break everything down anyways you might as well save up and build one to last. You can still probably sell your 01 block for around $400-$600 and help cover some of the cost. You will be approaching the known limits of the WAP 01 block, so it will be a gamble, and if that block splits it will most likely destroy everything in it. Having said that it may be cheaper for you to just sell your engine as is, and buy a longblock and stick a blower on it. You would really save on labor pay unless you are able to assemble the engine yourself. Hope this helps a little.

awsome thanx for the info i have yet another question you say the 99 block is better can you tell me how and why please :rockon:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The 96-99 blocks were manufactured by a company out of Italy called Teksid. They also make Ferrari blocks and parts. Their foundry techniques had been perfected at the time these blocks were built. The 01 and later Windsor (WAP) blocks have different supportive webbing in the valley, and the main bearing web area inside the block has holes, or windows cut into it which are a weak point under heavy crank load. The 99 is actually the strongest of the Teksid blocks, but it is not actually because of the block, it is more to do with the crank bearing main caps. The 99's is better designed and will disallow more crank walk or movement. I am not sure how much more HP the 99 can handle over the 96-98 cobra blocks, but I figure it has more to do with revs than HP. Hope this helps more.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think you would be very safe. And save some money. You can find 03/04 Cobra blocks for around $300. But I like the weight savings of the Aluminum blocks. But keep in mind, I do not know of one 96-98 Cobra block that has failed on it's own. At all.

Users who are viewing this thread