Alcoa owners Your input Needed!!

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
Can a few of you review the pictures of this listing and tell me if you think this wheel looks " less brilliant" in its finsih the your durabright SS wheels?? Seller has replied to me and stated the wheel has never been refinished. Are there different variances of the Durabright finish out there that could have caused some inconsistency?? Thanks for any input. Its just hard to pull the trigger not seeing it in person and knowing that there is no sending it back after.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162133175132?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Can a few of you review the pictures of this listing and tell me if you think this wheel looks " less brilliant" in its finsih the your durabright SS wheels?? Seller has replied to me and stated the wheel has never been refinished. Are there different variances of the Durabright finish out there that could have caused some inconsistency?? Thanks for any input. Its just hard to pull the trigger not seeing it in person and knowing that there is no sending it back after.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162133175132?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

The finish on that eBay Alcoa looks like what is on my car. The Dura Bright finish is more of a satin look, and does not reflect like a high polished aluminum or chrome.

The lighting may also through off the look on this Alcoa, I see some outside (sunlight) pictures and then some inside lighting.

If you have email replies from the seller stating that this Alcoa has not been refinished, and you find that it has ben refinished, just make sure that this wheel is covered under the eBay Money Back plan before you buy, the auction says that it is.

Another thing that will dull the Alcoa's is not cleaning the Dura Bright finish properly. I have a specific spray bottle cleaning mix for the Alcoa's.

R

Last edited:

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
Thanks Robert, If you feel like sharing the Secret Elixer feel free to PM me! Thanks for the Advise !

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks Robert, If you feel like sharing the Secret Elixer feel free to PM me! Thanks for the Advise !

No Secret Elixer, It is a mix with water, more water than cleaning solution. I have an Alcoa "Use and Care" manual, I will have to find it and get the exact information that they recommend for Dura Bright cleaning. Give me a day or so to find that manual.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
My Alcoa manual/booklet was easier to find than I thought, so here are some pictures from it...........

001_zpsocnu2czt.jpg

Cleaning...........

003_zpsmlf7qwzn.jpg

Cast vs. Forged.......

004_zpspy8qx9fa.jpg

R

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
wow, thanks brother. The harshest thing Ive used to date on them after they are ambient temperature and in the shade is a 50/50 simple green mix. Appreciate the extra info tho. Thanks!

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Good to know. I did not know the correct procedure for their cleaning. Need to find a dedicated bottle now. What is considered a mild detergent?

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
Man, I'd be very reluctant to send an Ebay seller $1,000. Can't you find that wheel from a known, reputable source for the same price?

Kel

Established Member
Those look authentic, like mine. I just clean mine off with Meguiar's ultimate detail spray/microfiber cloth. Mine's been fortunate enough to have never seen water, rain, harsh/other chemicals. Do love the look on our Shelby's.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Good to know. I did not know the correct procedure for their cleaning. Need to find a dedicated bottle now. What is considered a mild detergent?

I rinsed out an old/empty 409 spray bottle for the new purpose of Alcoa cleaning. I printed a label for both sides and the back edge that says "Alcoa's". I think I pumped a squirt of Dawn into that bottle and then filled it the rest of the way with water.

When I first cleaned my Alcoa's I had no "cleaning instructions" and I would use regular household cleaners, Fantastik, 409, etc. <<Those would clean the surface, but it also seemed like there was a film left on the wheel? Once I started using the mostly water method, as recommended by Alcoa, the wheels seemed to regain their original brightness.

The biggest time consumer is using a tooth brush with that mostly water cleaner along with compressed air, and a clean cloth to get the engraved letters cleaned out and keeping them new looking.

R

Last edited:

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, tell me about it. But whats the chances of finding another Solo 20x9......

Well I was going to say good, but mine is a 50th anniversary, new in box. This is the Shelby Forged only wheel. Not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread