Alarm flashing light on dash, two flashes but don't think it's PATS

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
I have a flashing added light on my dash and a kill switch down by my hood release. I thought it was an aftermarket alarm system. The car runs with the light flashing but it started this spring after the car went dead over the winter.

Well last night I decided to track it down. I found that the alarm seems to be from FORD????
70a2798ea794e7ce4d18e5c3bbab33b4.jpg

And it has fuses inside it too..
ef1e895768f7dab59a83b5002a93e23b.jpg

74c5c29ff75e30048675ceab24c493a0.jpg

Has anyone worked on this monster? Or have advice on resetting it to get the red light off?? It flashes twice every 4-5 seconds..

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
Yes, I did replace both fuses thinking it may be them..

In the spring when I'd put the battery in the alarm would go off and I would have to press the kill switch. This spring it did not trigger the alarm.

RichM1983

Established Member
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/53149/Ford-Sk5w7j-19a361-Aa.html#manual

Spend some time googling the part number on the box. There are a lot of pages out there on trouble with these.

I also found this:

Do you have an LED on the bottom of the driver's side underdash panel that looks like it was added on and not factory?

If so, does it continuosly flash twice, pause and repeat? If yes, then this second alarm is all wired up but in Valet mode. We can get it out of that mode :)

If the LED doesn't flash twice all the time (but you do have this LED), then stand by your driver's window so you can see the LED from outside the car, then lock your car with your remote. Count 15 seconds. Does this LED come on solid for a couple of seconds, then start flashing? If so, then this alarm is being armed, but maybe the shock sensor setting is too low. We can fix this too :)

Finally, if the LED didn't come on solid 15 seconds after remote locking your car, it is either not wired up (unlikely), a fuse has gone (possibly), or the alarm has been told not to arm via the factory remotes. This can also be fixed :)

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
Flashes all time time (2 flashes at a time)
Driving, parked, doors locked, doors unlocked

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
ive still got some friends at the Ford dealership I used to work at ill give the the P# and have them see if there are any diagnostic steps with the flashing lights, probably like the old 90's fords where you count the flashes and it only gives you a direction to look at

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I have the exact same light and was just curious what it is. Figured just a theft device light. I will see if i have the same switch by the hood panel when I get home and let you know...

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
Have you tried to disconnect the battery for a few hours, and then reconnect it? I have a factory Ford alarm on my 98GT, and it was acting up once to where I had to hold the switch in to start the car. I put in a new battery, and the alarm had reset itself after being disconnected for a few hours. Might be worth a shot.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Well I took a peek and I do also have the same shutoff switch down by the hood release. I found somewhere it may be a ford option for a security system that if armed can sense the car being moved and what not. Idk something to look into to.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
asked my buddys that still work at the local ford dealer he looked for awhile and didn't find any troubleshooting just install guide

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
I had the battery unhooked over night to see if that would make any difference, it didn't change.

It still flashed 2 times every 5 or seconds. Car runs fine, light just flashes all the time.

Since the switch seems to do nothing anymore, I'm tempted to cut it out and replace it and see what happens????

When i would connect the battery in the spring for the first time it would sound the alarm and I'd have to push that switch to make it stop.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I held my button by the hood release for about 10 seconds and the horn went off and now I am flashing only like once every 30 seconds.... Still no idea what it does.

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
Found this online for an 03 Ford alarm. Hope it helps.

Instructions
Press the unlock button on your vehicle's key fob to deactivate the alarm. If you've misplaced your remote for the car, use the PATS programmed key to unlock the driver's side door. Then, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. The vehicle's battery should be on, but the engine shouldn't be running.

Locate the override button on the alarm box, beneath the driver's side of the dashboard. Press the button and hold it in until the alarm beeps one time. The LED light for the alarm should stop blinking, indicating the anti-theft system is disabled.

To reset the vehicle's alarm, put the PATS programmed key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. Press the override button. When the alarm resets, it chirps two times and the LED light begins blinking.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
That's the optional dealer installed alarm. Relay number 5 (one of the big 5 pin relays) in the fuse box next to the battery. The one closest to the frame rail when you open the fuse box, if I remember correctly . Mine went out a couple years ago. I found the relay because it also took my fog lights with it when it blew. Looked up the fuses/relays associated to the fogs in the owners manual and replaced it.

I should also note i had to replace the fog light bulbs too. They blew at the same time. This all happened after installing a new battery. Not sure why it happened, but it did.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread