Air to Water or Air to Air

prochargedcobra

BADENUF
Established Member
My brother is building a T-Trim 98 Cobra now.. He is at the Vegas show as I type this.. He stopped into the Vortech booth to ask them because he was wondering the same thing.. According to 'Vortech' the A/A is only good for 500 HP.. Anything more they ***strongly*** suggest the A/W..

I got this info about 6 hours ago as my brother was walking out of their booth..

Thats bullshit.

Slow99x

Established Member
Since Vortec doesn't make an air to air, wouldn't that make you think that they are giving you the old sales pitch?

fastmustang70

Established Member
Wow thats pretty hot iat 94 at 80 degrees so that goes to show you it didnt even cool the air to much with my water to air and 95 out at 26psi with ice my iat temps were 68 and with out the ice they were about 82 so water to air rocks

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Wow thats pretty hot iat 94 at 80 degrees so that goes to show you it didnt even cool the air to much with my water to air and 95 out at 26psi with ice my iat temps were 68 and with out the ice they were about 82 so water to air rocks

Its impossible to have a lower water temp than ambient temp, you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about.

A 14* delta T isnt bad at all, in fact, its pretty damn good. And were not talking about pulling over and stuffing ice in the resovoir every 10 mins, were talking about actual H20, in its liquid state.

prochargedcobra

BADENUF
Established Member
Its impossible to have a lower water temp than ambient temp, you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about.

A 14* delta T isnt bad at all, in fact, its pretty damn good. And were not talking about pulling over and stuffing ice in the resovoir every 10 mins, were talking about actual H20, in its liquid state.

+1

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
anyone ever put DRY ice in their tanks?

Dry ice won't cool it faster than normal ice. The dry ice will just turn the water into carbonated water (much like a soda) and when it is mixed with an H20 based liquid, it will create LOTS of gas that could cause strain on the cooling system and will need to be released. Have you ever put dry ice in a drink? It never turns out to be as cold as normal ice due to its chemical reaction I think.

JAILBAIT

Currently under pressure
Established Member
Here is what I will tell anyone who asks. I run a/a on the street and a/w on the track. As for which is better, neither is better than the other. Its purely packaging and cost of HP. Most all a/a intercoolers are going to be in front of the radiator or lay flat under the car. Both ways work great. Problems that can occur, high coolant temps or problems getting the piping to fit. The benefit with a/w is the fact that you can run ice for one pass on the track and have very cold iat's. The problem, the water heats up very fast, that is unless you use a condenser, which costs extra. the fact that you have another lager piece of apparatus under your hood and that you now have to run lines to and from the cooler the reservoir and the condenser. You need electrical to run your pump. And I can say I have had electrical problems with my car, would you want your pump to stop and line up next to a Camero and lose because your motor shot shit?

So in the end neither is better. its just what you want to get yourself into.

fastmustang70

Established Member
Let me tell you something why dont you guys that think air it air is better i will explain it this way take the water out of your radiator on your car and see how air cools the motor with air to air theres your anwers for you people that think your so smart put the water back in the car it cools great i bet and p.s with ice yes my iat were 68 i have all the data logging to show you if you would like

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Let me tell you something why dont you guys that think air it air is better i will explain it this way take the water out of your radiator on your car and see how air cools the motor with air to air theres your anwers for you people that think your so smart put the water back in the car it cools great i bet and p.s with ice yes my iat were 68 i have all the data logging to show you if you would like

You must be an engineer, right? I can tell.

And no one in this thread was talking about ICE. Thats mainly because its not practical to pull over at every convenience store and buy a new bag of ice. Yes, we know with ice (-32*) its possible to have air temps of 68*F, but its not realistic for a street car.

Slow99x

Established Member
Why not just make everything mechanical while you are at it? Put motors in your doors so they open, your trunk too. The more mechanical things you have (water pump and lines for the air to water intercooler) the more things can go wrong. Also, what weighs more air or water? The minimal power you are adding in a street car by having air to water you are adding weight that takes it right back away. In a full drag car the charge temps need to be kept to a minimum due to severe damage that can be caused by detonation. The excessivly high boost pressure must be cooled down as fast as possible. In a street car that will not likely see 40psi of boost, a well designed air to air intercooler will work just fine and keep the weight down and reliability up.

ssstang3.8

Blown v6
Established Member
nice frank'n'stang lol but 140's is a good start.

140s, high / mid 9s for a v6 can't be too bad:rockon:

And I was say a/a.... track car a/w like everyone else has stated. Unless you don't mind pulling over at every light to drop 1/4th a bag of ice:D

diablostang

Established Member

There are some real smart ones on this board for sure...

:dw:

That is all I have to add to this thread.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member

this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on the internet.

you sir, should not be anywhere near a car.

fastmustang70

Established Member
Sent am so dumb and stupid you guys that are so smart can all race with what ever car you want if you have a street car i will race you with my street car if you want to race with a race car i will race with mine and make sure you bring your air to air will see how well that works dumb asses

Users who are viewing this thread