Air to Water or Air to Air

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
Hello, I have a 1999 vortech supercharged mustang and I was wondering what will be better to go with for a intercooler setup air to air or air to water? I would run a max of 14-15psi and it is a v1-s tims if that helps. I hear that the boost drop is bad with the air vs air. I really want the best one for hp and drivablity. So, in the end is the air to water really worth it with ice? or sould I go air to air with the nitrous spray bar?

Thanks for the help! John

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
Yes, it is a v6. I'm only 19 and I got the kit for $800. But, it will be a custom kit either way. I have an air to water kit right now and I have the intercooler mounted and it is close to being done except piping. I have heard a lot of bad things lately about the air to water and I debating to switch over to air to air most likely a procharger 3 core. Then two main things that worry me are the efficient-ness (On the street and the track with ice) and it heat soaking quick on the street.
I have an X02 racing intercooler they say good to 800 hp and a fluidyne heat exchanger for it.
So, will what will be more efficient for me?

prochargedcobra

BADENUF
Established Member
Yes, it is a v6. I'm only 19 and I got the kit for $800. But, it will be a custom kit either way. I have an air to water kit right now and I have the intercooler mounted and it is close to being done except piping. I have heard a lot of bad things lately about the air to water and I debating to switch over to air to air most likely a procharger 3 core. Then two main things that worry me are the efficient-ness (On the street and the track with ice) and it heat soaking quick on the street.
I have an X02 racing intercooler they say good to 800 hp and a fluidyne heat exchanger for it.

With the boost your making an A/W will be fine. It's only over 10 lbs of boost that an A/A is the better option. Dont worry about it. Your fine.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned

man you need do do like this guy and use the air/water ........he traps 140 with his v6 ......
mmfp_0708_03_z+1995_ford_mustang_turbo_V6+engine_bay.jpg

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
03 cobra intercooler water pump and the fluidyne heat exchanger will put an air to air to shame. (MINE DOES) They BOTH heatsoak, but water removes heat more efficiently than air, so lets use some simple science here...I just got back from two days at watkins glen, 200 miles of racing at WOT, 6000 rpms, 550rwhp, lap after lap, at 30 minutes a piece. Average Intake temp after the cooler was 74*. Air temp was was 59*. The guys with turbo cars who ALL had air to air intercoolers werent running nearly as cool as mine. But thats a real world situation, it doesnt apply on the internet.

Last edited:

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
Last edited:

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
My brother is building a T-Trim 98 Cobra now.. He is at the Vegas show as I type this.. He stopped into the Vortech booth to ask them because he was wondering the same thing.. According to 'Vortech' the A/A is only good for 500 HP.. Anything more they ***strongly*** suggest the A/W..

I got this info about 6 hours ago as my brother was walking out of their booth..

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
My brother is building a T-Trim 98 Cobra now.. He is at the Vegas show as I type this.. He stopped into the Vortech booth to ask them because he was wondering the same thing.. According to 'Vortech' the A/A is only good for 500 HP.. Anything more they ***strongly*** suggest the A/W..

I got this info about 6 hours ago as my brother was walking out of their booth..

go to the procharger booth and see what they say...

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
It all depends on what size cores were talking about. For this guy and his v6, a standard vortech A/W will work great. For my car, which is on the track alot, and always moving, A/W works great as well. Some others may work better with A/A....its a never ending saga. All of my experience with turbo cars and A/A setups have always had HOT intake temps, reguardless of how big the A/A is.

Last edited:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Not sure what is best for your application. However, you will get much better heat transfer through an air - water intercooler.

Slow99x

Established Member
Let me break it down for you. I had a 500whp turbo eclipse and know a little about intercooling. True that the charge temps on air to water ar lower but there are moving parts in the system. There is a pump, water lines, resevior and other things that can go wrong other than the normal plumbing from the blower or turbo. A well designed air to air can produce up to 90%+ efficiency depending on the endtank design. The end tanks on every turbo and supercharger kit for mustangs is pure crap! The vast majority use a top to bottom design where the air will "short route" itself and not pass through the coolest parts of the intercooler. Small and square end tanks are also bad in a side to side design becuase they don't allow a smooth air flow through them. If you guys want to see a well deisgned intercooler go to dvdtfab.com and take a look at Albert's monster intercooler that he himself designed. This air to air design was said to be good for 1500+whp on a four cylinder running 50+ psi and guess what... no water lines needed.

Users who are viewing this thread